• Kiltmon
    replied
    The name maybe Mrs. Jarvis

Is the year (19)05 as 4/8/05

Leave a comment:

• Mary from Italy
    started a topic Handwriting help, please

Handwriting help, please

I've just received the files for two of my relatives who died in lunatic asylums.

I can decipher most of them, but there are one or two parts I'm having trouble with.

This is the first one, relating to Thomas Cassidy:

Everything in the file was written in 1908. The two parts I'm doubtful about are these:

- Where it says "Has he any insane relations?", I'm not sure about the name of the daughter. It appears to be Margt Mary Cassidy ad. 4/8/65, but although he had a daughter of that name, she was born in 1882 and died in 1922, so she couldn't have been admitted to hospital in 1865. Thomas and her mother were married in 1879, and Thomas said he was a bachelor on the marriage cert. He was about 40 when they married, so there could have been a previous marriage, I suppose, but it seems unlikely that he'd have two daughters with exactly the same name.

- I can't read the name of the person given under "Name and address of nearest relations or friends". He had a niece who was living in Clyde Street when she died in 1933; I don't know if she was there in 1908, but her name looks nothing like the one written here.

Any suggestions?
Working...
X