Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cynthia Dunnage b.1931 passenger list please

COMPLETED THANK YOU
    I have a Cynthia Dunnage b.1931 Finsbury London returning from Halifax Nova Scotia in 1945, aged 14.

My assumption is that she was evacuated there.

Would someone with worldwide sub be kind enough to check her going out there please. If there is any information as to who she is with or where she is proposing to stay. I would be grateful too, as I have Dunnages popping back and forth to Canada in the 1930's.

Thank you
    Last edited by bubblebelle; 06-12-12, 14:15.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Hi
    The record you need is on Findmypast, sorry don't have a sub.
    She left from Greenock in 1940 going to Montreal, Canada.
    No other Dunnages on same ship.
    Moggie
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 10-05-16, 12:44. Reason: name restored

Comment

Thank you Moggie, that at least discounts her Grandmother taking her, as her return was 1938 and supports an evacuation.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Have sent you a PM.

merleyone

Comment

Thank you Merleyone.

Both you and Moggie have answered my query.
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Finding Cynthia Dunnage

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            Hi
            The record you need is on Findmypast, sorry don't have a sub.
            She left from Greenock in 1940 going to Montreal, Canada.
            No other Dunnages on same ship.
            Moggie
            I am new to Family Forum so please forgive me if I make mistakes in this message.

Cynthia Dunnage was a classmate of mine in an elementary school (General Gordon School Grades 1 to 6) in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada during the war years. When she returned home she would have gone by train across Canada to reach Halifax in 1945 and embarked from there.

We knew she was an evacuee but we were too young to realize how lonely she must have been. Now that I am older and wiser I have been searching high and low to find her and try to make amends. So far the closest I have is Bexley Heath Kent but unfortunately I have not the foggiest idea how to find her actual address so I can email her or write a letter. If you could help on this then I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.
            Joan

Joan, we are not allowed to name possibly living people on this forum [name restored as confirmed deceased], I have also removed your email address in accordance with forum rules, anyone who feels they can help will be able to send a personal message.
            Last edited by Jill on the A272; 10-05-16, 12:49. Reason: email address removed

Comment

I suspect Joan may be a bit confused as the name is mentioned in the first paragraph !
              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 10-05-16, 12:46.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Sad news I'm afraid Joan. She died in 1964 & she had married 4 years earlier in 1960. She died in Brook Hospital London & her home address was Bexley Heath. No children as far as I can see. Her probate is on Ancestry I don't know if you have a sub to view it. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/19...nSearchResults

Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  I suspect Joan may be a bit confused as the name is mentioned in the first paragraph !
                  Amended now as confirmed deceased.

Comment

Closure

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    Sad news I'm afraid Joan. She died in 1964 & she had married 4 years earlier in 1960. She died in Brook Hospital London & her home address was Bexley Heath. No children as far as I can see. Her probate is on Ancestry I don't know if you have a sub to view it. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/19...nSearchResults
                    Moggie
                    How kind of you to answer so promptly. It was indeed sad news. Let it be a lesson... do not wait to contact those who have been a part of one's early life because then it may be too late.

Comment

There is value in making the attempt. It was nice of you to try to look her up.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan Hawes View Post
                        How kind of you to answer so promptly. It was indeed sad news. Let it be a lesson... do not wait to contact those who have been a part of one's early life because then it may be too late.
                        As an evacuee myself, albeit within the UK, I can only say that so many of us lost touch with so many friends we made in other places. It was a hard time for all of us, but not just for the evacuees, but also for those that had evacuees within their schools and homes. The scheme disrupted everybody, and some bad bllood was bound to be spilled with most of it unwittingly done. This was an experiment that would not happen today. There was a lot of unhappiness everywhere both here and in places like Canada, Australia and South Africa.

There is an Evacuees Association that you may like to contact to tell your side of the story, as they are always looking for people's stories. In telling your side of the story you may find somebody who knew her (although we are getting fewer in number as time passes) but in writing it up you may get some sort of closure for yourself.

The website is below:

Second World War evacuation, operation pied piper, non profit making registered charity, The Evacuee, reunion, lost touch, membership, send them to safety, evacuate children during the war

I also have been chasing two boys I met at my school in Bodmin but have never found what happened to them, despiteme putting their names on other places. I think they either went to Canada or Australia but I don't know for sure.

Tell hers and your story to someone in the above organisation and that will really help you. Good Luck.

Janet

Comment

Hi sorry I was not around to respond relating to your concerns re 'living person' and to Joan's post.

Sadly Cynthia is only a very distant relation, but sometimes I get caught up in an individuals story and thank you Joan for confirming that she was indeed evacuated to Canada and sorry that her story ended way before you could be reunited in communications.
                          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                          X