Newspaper report - death at South Dock Sunderland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper report - death at South Dock Sunderland

I do not know where to start looking for this item. Your help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Information from Probate and Wills shows that a Joseph Carman died at South Dock Sunderland on the 31st March 1887. Administration of his estate was granted to his wife Jane on the 29th April 1887. His estate was valued at £80.18s. He was a labourer in the iron ship building yard.

I am trying to find out the circumstances of his death and wonder if he was in an accident at South Dock, Sunderland. Would it have been mentioned in the local newspaper.

Can you please help? Thank you.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

I would get his death cert - he may have died of measles or some other illness! If the death was an accident, it will say so on the cert.

OC

Comment

I think South Dock would be his abode, if you got that info from the probate index.
      It was just the area - like Catherine Cookson and "Tyne Dock."

He may well have worked at Tyne Dock too, but each shipyard would have its own name, even though Tyne Dock might have been it's location.

Jay

ETA check you inbox
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-07-12, 19:03.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Many thanks for responding Olde Crone Holden and Janet in Yorkshire.
        Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Working...
        X