Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LDS Web site - where is the old one please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Web site - where is the old one please?

I have been researching family history online since 2000. At the start the web site of the Church of the Latter Day Saints was about the only one available. I really got to know my way around that web site and how to use different methods of search.

My problem is I can't find the site I grew accustomed too. Whenever I try clicking on my favorites it comes up with a new site format. Can anyone please show me a link to the old site.

Thank you for your help.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

I have a feeling it is no longer available.
    I really liked the old version and got on well with it but can't make anything of the new version.
    Just checked the Lost cousins news letter and, yes, the old version is no longer available,
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

:( Not a happy pixie. Why oh why can they not leave things alone, instead of always trying to "improve" things. It will give me a real headache trying to get my head around this new site.

Thank you all for responding.
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

so glad its not just me I hate it always get far too many hits

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          so glad its not just me I hate it always get far too many hits
          You can prune them down to country/county and decade which does help (a bit!)
          Elaine

Comment

If you just want the IGI part of FamilySearch then you can use this link
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

.. but of course you may be missing something which is on the main site.
            Elaine

Comment

I used to like how you could search for all children with parents names. I can't seem to get any results with this new search.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hello Wendy - I have been playing around with the site doing searches for facts I already know and did find a way of searching for children with parents names within a certain time span. Its just a case of getting used to the format and drop down sections.

I have yet to figure out how you know its an IGI and not submitted by a member. Shall probably find that out in due course.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

This link used to be in my favourites and took me straight to the search page of the old Familysearch site. https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi If you click on it, it should now take you to a page on the new site which shows the different collections available, those that have been extracted (transcribed) and those whish are member contributions. The latter ones are the records which used to show on the IGI as submitted by a member of the Church researching their family history. You will see that these latter records are not currently available. All the records on the new site are of extractions or transcriptions of actual records. Most of the collections show a batch number and source film number on each of the results found, but I have found some without this information - one being the Glamorgan parish records 1558 to 1900.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
                    Hello Wendy - I have been playing around with the site doing searches for facts I already know and did find a way of searching for children with parents names within a certain time span. Its just a case of getting used to the format and drop down sections.

I have yet to figure out how you know its an IGI and not submitted by a member. Shall probably find that out in due course.
                    I'd be interested to know how you managed to do a search Linda.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Perhaps this will help Wendy.

Use this link to get to the search page: https://www.familysearch.org/

Type in just the surname then click on Birth. Type in the Country you want to concentrate on e.g. England. Then click on Parents. Type in the Father's first name and surname and just the Mother's first name. You can also enter a time frame in the dates boxes if you wish. If you have a very common surname, you can enter the County as well as the Country. I often leave this blank as less is more when searching. If I find too many results but can see some I might want, I just re-do the search adding a bit more info in the search boxes. You can also refine you search in the boxes on the left of the results page.

Click on either the down arrow on each result or the name in blue, to get further details of the person that result refers to. It will become clear if you try it as it is always easier to demonstarte than to describe!
                      Last edited by Elderflower; 03-07-12, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                        ...different collections available, those that have been extracted (transcribed) and those whish are member contributions. The latter ones are the records which used to show on the IGI as submitted by a member of the Church researching their family history. You will see that these latter records are not currently available. Pat
                        Yes, I had noticed that ancestors on my tree that used to appear in the IGI on the old familysearch had disappeared. I hope they will reappear in this: "Community Contributed IGI"

Val, you can choose the record set that you are searching thru, by going to the "collection" list.

I miss the "pilot" or "beta" that was in use about a year ago. It had a very smart search engine.

Comment

Pat

It isn't strictly true, unfortunately, that all the "extracted records" are what we think they are. Those which have the prefix C, M or P are extracted from the original registers, in a controlled manner. Others (beginning with I, for example) are extractions taken in an uncontrolled manner by anyone who happened to do them and then offered them to the IGI.

My experience of these "I" batches is that they are generally accurate as far as they go, but that not all the records in that set were extracted...and in one case that I personally know of, a fictitious entry was made up to cover illegitimacy. Looking at the original filmed record showed that no such entry existed.

OC

Comment

Well I am on the other side. I gave away the old one çause I thought it was rubbish but totally love the newy, much less untidy.
                            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

the new LDS site is absolute rubbish, can't make head or tail of it - have you seen what they've done to Friendsreunited, they've completely spoilt it, and I've been a member there for years, don't bother even looking now. At least when Genesreunited messed up their site they did leave the option of using your "Old Tree" as the new one is completely unfathomable!

Comment

Good morning everyone, especially Wendy. The way I searched was the same way that Elderflower outlined. Off to do some blind searches, i.e. I don't know what the answer should be. Shall see how I get on.

I am fortunate in that nearly all of my research is for Co. Durham and although slow I can browse the Bishops Transcripts for Co. Durham.
                                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

I am beginning to prefer the new searches. At least you can search on just a surname - the old site would never let you do that.

If you use the drop down bits beneath where you put the name you can narrow it down a lot. Then the results are divided into those which match and those "you may find helpful" NOT!!! those are just random faintly similar results. The ones above the yellow line are good though. You can do searches for children of a particular couple in that way.
                                  Anne

Comment

I agree with Anne. It's great to be able to search by couple's names again. You can even search just for one surname (with its variants) in a single parish now.
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post

the new familysearch has extracted records only
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                      X