Searching for a John McGuigan in 1901 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a John McGuigan in 1901 census

Hi, I am trying to locate an individual called John McGuigan in the 1901 census. He was from Belfast and was listed by his parents on their 1901 census return and then blacked out, so I am assuming he had not left the family home very long when the 1901 census was taken. He would have been either 17 or 18 years old. He does not appear anywhere on the Ireland census for 1901 so I am hoping he can be located somewhere on the England/Scotland/Wales census. He was from an area of Belfast known as Sailortown in the Docks district, so it is very possible that he may have been serving on a merchant navy/ mercantile marine boat on census night 1901. His family's census return had their surname mis-spelt as MCGUGIAN instead of MCGUIGAN, so it is not impossible that his surname has been similarly mis-spelt.

Thanks.
    Paul.

he should still show if he was aboard ship. and the name being blacked out, by the family or enumerator? could it be an enumerator's mark?

Comment

Hi Kylejustin, yes I know he should still appear on the 1901 census if he was on board a ship on census night.That is why I am asking someone to search for him on the England/Scotland/Wales census. I don't have access to them. I think it is his family who have blacked out his name as I cannot see any mark on the form that has obviously been made by the enumerator. But judge for yourself. http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai003971674/

Thanks.
      Paul.

Comment

have you found them in 1911 ? see if it says any child has died ?

Comment

there is a John McGuigan a boarder general labour from ireland in 1901 living in Long Dales Fallside Road Bothwell but of course its such a common name could be anybody?

Comment

not good on Irish place names is Armagh near Belfast ?
            John McGuigan abt 1884
            a Gunner
            No 60 Company RGA NO 60
            Company Royal Garrison
            Artillery Fort Ferozepore
            Last edited by Guest; 18-06-12, 14:22.

Comment

Val, thanks for getting back to me. Does it say what age 'your' John McGuigan is? I have found John on the 1911 census living in Belfast, but more importantly to me, he was the informant named on his father's death cert in 1909.

Paul.

Comment

they both say abt the right age ? good you found him in 1911 what occupation does it say he has?

Comment

His occupation is given as Labourer-Quay which I presome is another way of saying Dock Labourer.
                  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward__Belfast_Clifton_/Nelson_Street/131842/

Comment

Hi

I know this doesn't answer your query, but I looked on the WW1 military records on Ancestry to see if the gunner that Val found is on there - usually when men re-enlisted in the war, the service records would show that.

There is a service record for what looks like the same John as in the 1911 census - a widower, ship's fireman living at 55 Pilot Street Belfast. It shows his wife as Sarah Flynn, married 10.3.03, and children as Sarah 19.1.08 and Francis Joseph 3.4.04. Nos 287081 and 350381. I.W & D R.E (I think this is Inland Waterways and Docks, Royal Engineers)

He enlisted in 1917 and said that he had not served in HM forces before so you can probably discount the gunner on the 1901.

There are 45 pages in total so it may be worth you trying to access them if you haven't already done so. Not all the pages have entries on and some are in very poor condition and difficult to read.
                    Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie, thanks for replying. The 2 numbers you recorded after the children's names, 287081 and 350381. Are they John's military service numbers?

Thanks.
                      Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
                        Hi Jackie, thanks for replying. The 2 numbers you recorded after the children's names, 287081 and 350381. Are they John's military service numbers?

Thanks.
                        Paul.
                        Yes, sorry should have made that clearer
                        Jackie

Comment

Jackie, thanks so much for this lead. It is the same John McGuigan I am researching.I now know a good deal more about his wartime service. Sadly, he is now the 3rd young widower(with children) I have come across in my family tree. In all cases the children were reared by grannies or aunts. Whilst not ideal, it is infinitely preferable to being put into some kind of children's home/poorhouse/ institution.

Thanks again.
                          Paul.

Comment

Glad it helped - there seemed to be quite a lot of useful info in there
                            Jackie

Comment

You might care to try http://www.belfastforum.co.uk. Simply register, for free, and enter either McGuigan, Pilot Street or Sailortown in the search facility. An alternative is to try http://www.sailortown.org.
                              Regards
                              John Mcguigan

Comment

Hello Paul. I believe the John you are looking for is my Nan’s brother.. I’m too a Mcguigan

Comment

Originally posted by RiannaMcGuigan2020 View Post
                                  Hello Paul. I believe the John you are looking for is my Nan’s brother.. I’m too a Mcguigan
                                  Hello again Rianna..

Although he's not visited us since February, he will get a notification by email that you have posted on this thread. He will then be able to send you a PM.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I was hoping that would be the case. Everything he had written many years ago sounds like my nans brother.

She grew up on pilot street in sailortown, Belfast.
                                    her brother John McGuigan at some point jumped ship from the merchant navy from Belfast to New Zealand and remained there.

not sure if this is pure coincidence but definitely sounds like the man he is looking for.
                                    thank you

Comment

Hi Rianna, I received your e-mail notification. Were your Nan's parents called Francis McGuigan and Sarah (McCorry) McGuigan, the same as John McGuigan?

Comment

Francis McGuigan and Sarah (McCorry) McGuigan were my great grandparents. Have sent "CityHall" a PM.

I concur with Jackie's research. I believe there was also another daughter Hannah B1906 D1907. John died 1943 in Belfast.

Comment

Working...
                                        X