Looking for BRYDONE, JACK, FISHER, BRYDONE-JACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for BRYDONE, JACK, FISHER, BRYDONE-JACK

Good Lord, this family just has way too many branches!

I'm adding these names to already full name search!

The BRYDONEs of Scotland

And the JACKs from Scotland.

The name was put together in Canada by William Brydone-Jack due to another person having the same name and mail getting confused? So he added his mother's maiden name (BRYDONE)to the last name and now we have the BRYDONE-JACKs. That would have been in the 1800's at the University of New Brunswick where William BRYDONE JACK was a professor from 1819-1885 and President from 1861-1885. There is a BRYDONE JACK Observatory Museum named for him.

I believe his son (maybe grandson?) ERNEST EDMUND BRYDONE JACK worked there as well.

ERNEST EDMUND BRYDONE-JACK married a MARY ANNE (MINNA is what she went by) FISHER of the famed FISHERs from New Brunswick or close by. The town in Canada has a FISHER HOSPITAL, FISHER SCHOOL, or had.

Now, either the BRYDONE-JACKs to the FISHERs fled to Canada after the American Revolutionary War as because of their loyalty to England, so they've been there a while. Thanks for any help, Lisa from the South:p

What information exactly are you looking for? Who, where, when?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

RE-Looking for BRYDONE, JACK, FISHER, BRYDONE-JACK

Jeez, I am really sorry about all that. I am looking for the BRYDONE side of WILLIAM BYDONE-JACK. His mother's family's origins, where in Scotland, how long, her name. Those kinda things. Again, sorry, the rest I had so I wouldn't get info I already knew about them. Seem to have sorta lost my way there

Thanks, Lisa

Comment

Not sure how much of what you have said is documented and how much has been passed down the family verbally, so I would advise you to start with what you have documentary evidence for (certificates, etc) and work back from that.

I don't know if you have a sub to ancestry.com or not but even if you don't, some of the Canadian censuses are available free at Automated Genealogy:
        1901 Census of Canada - Automated Genealogy Index
        There are 6 Brydone-Jacks listed in 1901 in Vancouver, British Columbia, with the head of household being A C Brydone-Jack born 10th Sept 1860 in New Brunswick.
        There are no Brydone-Jacks listed in the transcription for New Brunswick 1851 but there are some Jacks who may or may not be related.

Interestingly enough, there is a Cyril Bertram Brydone-Jack born in Congleton district, Cheshire, England in 1886, though of course they might not be related to your Brydone-Jacks.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I just realised I should check the occupation of William Jack in 1851 and he is a Professor, and Scotch too, so he is looking very likely! Hopefully this link will take you straight to the transcription page for his family:
          Automated Genealogy 1851 Census Transcription Project
          The transcription lists him as William S Jack but the middle initial isn't very clear on the image.

so they are in York County, Fredericton City. William is 40 and entered the country in 1840. His wife Marian is 28 and was born in Canada. Children Mary 5, William 3 and Ellen 1.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Also, the 1881 Canadian census is free to search on FamilySearch at
            FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

and it has an entry for W. Brydone JACK age 61 born Scotland, occupation Presidt. University. Still in Fredericton, York County, New Brunswick. It says on the FamilySearch transcription that his wife is C A Jack age 50 born New Brunswick. Other Jacks in the household, all born New Brunswick, are Hellen age 30, Rosa C age 27, Brydone age 20, Mabel age 17, Arther age 16 (could be that A C Brydone Jack who was on the 1901 census?), Robert age 13, and Ernest age 10 (could be the Ernest Edmund that you mentioned?) The transcription on FamilySearch doesn't state relationship to head of household but I don't know if maybe the actual census image would?
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 07-05-08, 09:59. Reason: add link
            KiteRunner

Comment

If you do have a sub to ancestry.com or ancestry.ca then it might be worth looking at some of the family trees on there - according to one of the trees, the wife on the 1881 census is Caroline Amelia nee Disbrow and she married William 21 July 1859, so it looks as though William's first wife Marian died and Caroline was his second wife. If Ernest Edmund is your ancestor, then Caroline would be your ancestor, rather than Marian. A couple of the family trees give William's date of death as 23 Nov 1886 - if you can get a copy of his death certificate, or of course the marriage certificate for his marriage to Caroline, then maybe it will give you more information about him. There are just so many William Jacks from Scotland that it's hard to find the birth of the right one otherwise!

Aha! Dictionary of Canadian Biography entry:
              Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
              Now that gives some detailed information about his Scottish parentage (and both of his wives) which it should be possible to check. It says he was born 23 Nov 1817 at Trailflatt, parish of Tinwald, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, and his parents were Peter Jack and Janet Bryden.
              KiteRunner

Comment

I can't see William's birth / baptism on Family Search - it looks as though that particular parish hasn't been indexed on there for that year, BUT, it looks as though he is listed on Scotland's People:
                Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople
                You will need to register with that site and buy some credits. Then look in the OPR Births & Baptisms section and put in the information from the Dictionary of Canadian Biography as above but using a date range of 17th November 1817 to 23rd November 1817 (perhaps he was born on the 17th and baptised on the 23rd?) and it will come up with his birth / baptism entry and you can view the parish register image which may give you more information. His middle name is spelt Bryden on the index.

You can also search for other children of the same parents on that site, and look for the Jack family in the Scottish censuses (I know that William is supposed to have gone to Canada by the time the 1841 census was taken, but his parents and / or siblings might still be in Scotland) You can also look to see if Peter left a will or if there is an inventory etc for him and look for Peter and Janet's marriage. But I can't see their marriage on there or on FamilySearch, annoyingly enough.

Anyway, have a look at all of the above and let us know if and when you need more help!
                KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, it might be worth you contacting the person who posted this up on Rootsweb:
                  RootsWeb: JACK-L Re: [JACK] Jack to Canada

It looks from that as though all the Jack family including William's parents moved to Canada, so probably no point looking for them on the Scottish censuses! Perhaps Peter and / or Janet will be on the 1851 / 1852 Canadian census? Though I don't think it covers the whole country...
                  KiteRunner

Comment

RE Looking for BRYDONE, JACK, FISHER, BRYDONE-JACK

Thanks, that was great info and super searching! Way to Go!!!

The WILLIAM BRYDONE JACK found is the one I am talking about. I have photos of their family dating back to WILLIAM himself at the UNB. And we've been there, talk about being treated like royalty! They stopped everything when they found out my son was a direct decedent of WILLIAM BRYDONE-JACK. Wow!

I know ERNEST EDMUND BRYDONE-JACK the 2nd, was the son of MINNA FISHER (MARY) as we have the docs stating she's his mother. Also, my mother-in-law knew her as she was her grandmother.

I've also spent a lot of time talking with ERNEST EDMUMD BRYDONE-JACK the 3rd, who showed me the docs of MINNA as his grandmother, plus the photos. That side of the family kept great records but they all started with WILLIAM and didn't go any further back. This is why I am interested in going further back.

Wish the rest of tree kept such great records! You soul see the info for the COCKER/BRYDONE-JACKs! It's like stepping back in time....SOOOOO COOL!

Again, thanks for the info, Lisa

Comment

One other thing that just occurred to me is that you may be able to trace Peter and Janet back even without finding their marriage, as I have managed to with some of my Scottish ancestors - if you can find possible births / baptisms for them and see who the parents and siblings would be, then look for wills / inventories for those people, and if you find one who died after Peter and Janet would have been married (i.e. after their first child was born) then get a copy of it and hopefully it will mention them.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Peter Jack/Janet Bryden

Here is some information on them - I see you were looking.

Peter Jack was b. 23 Sep 1792 in Dunblane, Perthshire, Scotland. He died 16 Feb 1851 in Pittsburgh, Ontario, Canada.

He m. Janet Bryden b. 2 Aug 1792 in Tinwald, Dumfries, Scotland.

They m. about 1816 in Dumfrieshire, Scotland.

Their oldest son William Bryden Jack is my husband's 2nd great grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                          Also, the 1881 Canadian census is free to search on FamilySearch at
                          FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

and it has an entry for W. Brydone JACK age 61 born Scotland, occupation Presidt. University. Still in Fredericton, York County, New Brunswick. It says on the FamilySearch transcription that his wife is C A Jack age 50 born New Brunswick. Other Jacks in the household, all born New Brunswick, are Hellen age 30, Rosa C age 27, Brydone age 20, Mabel age 17, Arther age 16 (could be that A C Brydone Jack who was on the 1901 census?), Robert age 13, and Ernest age 10 (could be the Ernest Edmund that you mentioned?) The transcription on FamilySearch doesn't state relationship to head of household but I don't know if maybe the actual census image would?
                          Relationship is not on the image. The Library and Archives Canada has the 1881 online, searchable by name:
                          Search - Census of Canada, 1881 - Library and Archives Canada

Comment

Thanks, Lynda. You do realise, though, that this is a very old thread that has been nudged up by a new member and the person who originally posted the query may not actually come back on here to read any new replies? So there may not be much point in posting any more on here unless we hear from Marriner69.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

No I didn't notice that, KR. Guess I should look at things a little closer. The link to L&A Canada may help someone else, hopefully.

Comment

loads of info on the Brydone-Jack family!

Thanks guys, I've been in contact with soooo many members of this family. It's never ending! I've been able to get some of the family photos I had of Ernest Edmund 1,2 and of course, I know Ernest 3, as he's my son's great uncle, to some of the Fisher's in Canada who are so grateful I had these photos they didn't. So, all you posts really lead to a lot of great places. But, it sort of took me from searching for anyone else all summer! Frankly, I have not even wanted to get on the computer in weeks! But, I'm back and wanted to thank you all so much for the info. I got more in my search than the family got generations. You guys rule!

Comment

Working...
                                X