• Show
Clear All

• Katarzyna
    replied
    ops! That should read 4.02

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    I did that Guy but I am still getting an error even after restarting the computer. I got the message initially that I was successful in updating 4.0 to 4.04. When I interrogated the properties the viewer was still 4.0.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy
    It is a common error to think all the BIVRI info is online or more accurately freely available on line as the Scottish regions are only available at a cost through Scotland's People.
    Windows 10 actually makes more historic programs compatible than early versions of Windows such as Windows 7.

The easiest way to run them is to purchase the latest full version of the Folio software but that is an expensive option as the commercial software is not cheap. The free option is to install the software that comes with the disks and update it to the freely supplied version 4.02 (the update came on disk 1 of the version 2 of the BIVRI). The LDS no longer post the Version 4.02 disk to patrons as they used to do, but many people have copies of the update file (update.exe)

Cheers
    Guy
    Oooohhhh thanks Guy!.. I'll have to dig my disks out and see if they'll run on my laptop. [it might encourage me to do more FH!] :smilee:

Leave a comment:

• Uncle John
    replied
    It's a long time ago but I seem to remember that BIVRI used a rather odd file format and needed its own reader. I had a struggle with it when I upgraded from Windows ME. In any case, all the info was online by then so BIVRI became irrelevant. It went in the bin several years ago along with a few hundred other "useful" but obsolete CD-ROMs.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Does anyone know if BIVRI disks can be used on Windows 10?
    I bought this 17 years ago when on XP Service Pack 2 and haven't used the disks for at least 10 years!!!
    I haven't a CLUE Kat, but I would think that if you had a VM [virtual machine] running win XP you could get it going.

Leave a comment:

• Vivian
    replied
    I haven't been able to get them to work on Windows 10, I think it was not having the latest version of the Viewer.

You may find this useful http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~framl...mland/1881.htm

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Does anyone know if BIVRI disks can be used on Windows 10?
    I bought this 17 years ago when on XP Service Pack 2 and haven't used the disks for at least 10 years!!!

Leave a comment:

• Northern Light
    replied
    She rang back and can find no trace of my order!

They are out of stock but are due in at the end of the month. She didnt even know if they had taken the money from my debit card.

Buyer beware!

Leave a comment:

• Northern Light
    replied
    Still not arrived after 2 weeks so I rang and they can find no trace of the order!

Shes going to look again and ring me back. What a rubbish set up they must have. I think its run by volunteers but when your paying out good money I do expect better service.

She did say there out of stock now,

Leave a comment:

• Northern Light
    replied
    Thanks for the info Guy..

If I get stuck I'll get my OH to sort it for me as I'm useless with a pc.. and I'll keep this thread lol..
    Thats if it ever arrives..

Leave a comment:

• Guy
    replied
    There are two ‘problems’ with the BIVRI disks.
    First (this may have been fixed since I bought mine) after installing the viewer software disk 1 (Births and Christenings : A) has to be inserted in the CD drive.
    This does two things
    A, there is a patch on the British Vital Records 2nd Edition that installs when you install the first disk this updates the viewer to 4.02.
    B, it adds the dataset to the viewer software.

If the patch does not automatically load-
    Insert Disk 1 in the CD drive, using ‘My Computer’ open the disk to view the contents.
    Open the folder Update and double click on the file Update.exe.

The second ‘problem’ is a Vista specific problem
    Run time error 339 - computer is running Windows Vista and

1. Install the Resource File Viewer 4.0
    2. Right-Click on the Resource File Viewer icon on your desktop and select Properties.
    3. Click the Compatibility Tab
    4. Put a check in the box to run in compatibility mode for: and make sure that Windows XP (Service Pack 2) is selected.
    5. Put a check in the box to "Run this program as an administrator"
    6. Click OK

For other similar problems see my website at
    Run time error 339 - Failure to run viewer 4

For instructions to run datasets from hard drive see

Cheers
    Guy

Leave a comment:

• Northern Light
    replied
    Well I ordered mine about 10 days ago and they said it was in stock but it still hasnt arrived!

Ill ring them on Monday and enquire.

Anyone know how much the postage was? I forgot to ask lol..

Leave a comment:

• Deb N
    replied
    Originally posted by Oscar View Post
    I'm finally there !

If it helps anyone else, we had to print off instructions to uninstall the File Viewer - 23 steps - from the LDS site and start again as there was 'Error No 339' with Vista. (So it said!)

What a performance, but at least I can start snooping now :D !

Gwyn
    That's the same thing I had to do!!! The instructions were very clear though!

I seem to be having problems with Disc 4 - I might have a dodgy disc!!!

Leave a comment:

• Oscar
    replied
    I'm finally there !

If it helps anyone else, we had to print off instructions to uninstall the File Viewer - 23 steps - from the LDS site and start again as there was 'Error No 339' with Vista. (So it said!)

What a performance, but at least I can start snooping now :D !

Gwyn

Leave a comment:

• Elaine ..Spain
    replied
    Thanks for that Deb. Have bookmarked it so I can find it again - I keep putting off setting up my new laptop! :(

Leave a comment:

• Deb N
    replied
    Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    Can you give us the link on Family Search. I was looking through their website earlier and couldn't see anything.
    General Product Support

Let's see if this works!!!

When you get to this page you just type your question in the box!!

Leave a comment:

• Elaine ..Spain
    replied
    Originally posted by Deb N View Post

I had a look at product support on Familysearch.org and they had all the answers!!!!
    Can you give us the link on Family Search. I was looking through their website earlier and couldn't see anything.

Leave a comment:

• Deb N
    replied
    Yaaaayyyy!!! I've got it sorted!!!

I had a look at product support on Familysearch.org and they had all the answers!!!! I did have to uninstall and clear some bits from the registry but it was quite straight forward actually....I have even made my first search - and.......... found nothing!!!!! lol

Leave a comment:

• Oscar
    replied
    Oh dear, I've inserted the disc into the CD drive - it chunnered away for a while, then nothing. I'll have to wait for OH to appear and (hopefully) work some magic!

Gwyn

Leave a comment:

• Oscar
    replied
    I too received mine this morning - must be national delivery day! As I have Vista, it looks like fun awaits, so I'll toddle off to have a go.............

Gwyn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X