Don't you just love IGI submissions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you just love IGI submissions!

Researching my niece's tree, have just found some info which seems to be a classic example of a mix of reality and fantasy time-travel...

ABRAHAM JACOBS JONES
    Birth:
    1828 London, London, England

Sarah Sophia GOLDSMID
    Birth:
    1830 London, London, England

And for these two... :D
    Marriage:
    20 OCT 1824 London, London, England

Other bits of the same submissions seem quite plausible. I suspect that the Abraham & Sarah births are probably for their first children - I haven't spotted them in the censuses, so I can't tell.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

LOL Christine!

I can't remember whether my latest find was on the IGI or an Ancestry public tree, but the chap in question fathered the first of his 5 children 10 years after his death.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Ages ago I found a submitted tree for Holdens and had a look.

It was ok for a couple of generations - well, I didn't check, but at least it was looking plausible, lol.

Then it went back FIFTEEN generations with the following information for each generation (no children)

Father: Mr Holden
      Mother: Mrs Holden

I do love an in depth tree, don't you?

OC

Comment

Yes, I have found many marriages for Mr Bloggs to Mrs Bloggs, as well as clever children who manage to be baptised before they are born (in one case before their mother was born!)

My favourite is Mary Denison. I KNOW the baptism with her father Samuel Price Denison is right because I checked the original register at the Guildhall. But she didn't marry the Earl of Conyngham (another Mary Denison) and I have no idea where the idea that her 2nd husband was George IV came from!!!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was idly looking yesterday at the community section on Ancestry and discovered one of my ancestors (to my surprise as I have never found any of them before!) When I looked at the details the tree owner had given my ancestor lots of siblings, all of whom I had never heard ....great excitement - here also was the mother's name, which I had never found in the parish records either .....until I discovered that the mother and the siblings had come from another parish from my ancestor and as if that wasn't enough descrepancy, the mother gave birth to them after she was 68 years old!!! Don't people even think before they write down this information?

Comment

Some are weird, yes. However, there was one that looked promising, and I wrote to the submitter who lived in America. Within a short space of time, I received a reply enclosing all the verified information about this part of my family that had travelled from Kent to Utah - fantastic!
            Joy

Comment

Oh yes, I've found some genuine stuff that's submitted - but that's the stuff where the submitter has given their details.

Always beware of the uncontactable submitter, and information that says "about 1750" and "Yorkshire" rather than specific dates and places.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've found one submitted tree on the IGI that looks very promising. But pre 1837 it gives birth dates, which I think should probably be baptism dates. (The only way that information could have been found was to check the PR's either on fiche in the nearest library or at the RO)

There is one slip though where the marriage of one couple is detailed as being in a small Notts village, but there is an extracted record of the same marriage in a town about 5 miles away.

However, there is another submitted tree for the same family with all details saying "abt" and Mr Bloggs marrying Mrs Bloggs. I've ignored that one.

No submitters details for either of these submitted entries, which is a shame as I would like to contact the first one
                Barbara

Comment

After my grandparents died my grandmother's best friend asked if she could get my grandparents married by the LDS to ensure they were married in heaven. We agreed, as knowing my grandfather if he objected not even Joseph Smith himself would be able to convince him.

As a family we supplied all the information, date of birth, place etc. only to have the entry on the IGI spelt wrong (my grandmothers name) and place of birth as "Hampshire".

Comment

When I die, nobody had better do that!

Barbara, don't forget that those submitted dates of birth could be from a family bible or similar. My OH has a tree his granny did with lots of pre-1837 dates of birth on whereas the extracted IGI entries for those people only have their baptism dates. As for the marriage, it could be that either the submitted record or the extracted record is from a banns book rather than the actual marriage entry, as the banns would have been read in both parishes if the bride and groom lived in different places.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kate

Of course those are possiblities. If I could see the submitters information I would be trying to contact them, as it does "look" reliable, and I have some specific information which may help them too
                      Barbara

Comment

Thanks to Melbourne Hebrew Congregation!

The bit I trailed in the header was obviously daft about the birth dates, but I shouldn't be too rude. It's probably the same person who submitted this entry:

Isabella JACOBS JONES
                        Birth: About 1839 [s.b. abt 1829-30] London, , London, England
                        Father: ABRAHAM JACOBS JONES
                        Mother: Sarah Sophia GOLDSMID
                        Spouse: Morris Joseph COHEN
                        Marriage: 30 DEC 1857 Melb Heb Cong, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
                        Well, yesterday evening, at 10:18, I emailed their website, having done a bit of googling, and explained that I should love to be able to obtain a copy of their register entry (assuming the IGI was right n this occasion) for my niece's tree research. When I went back to my Yahoo inbox a bit later on, I found that there was an incoming email, timed at 11:47...
                        Dear Christine

I hope this is what you wanted

Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach

Jackie Somerville

Melbourne Hebrew Congregation Inc.
                        Attached to it was a 4771 KB jpg file which was, indeed the relevant register entry! It's so lovely to see the original handwriting. And, thanks to that person's submitted entry on the IGI, I do have a new piece of documentary evidence for my niece's tree. There may be a lot of chaff amongst the wheat, but there are germs of truth there!:D

Christine

Sadly no contact info identified on the IGI, though. :(
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well done Christine!! Brilliant, in fact! And never mind about the mistakes they made...they gave you a great lead and us a good laugh!! LOL!!

*Kicks myself hard for not having any Jewish Ancestors!!*

Comment

I have a "well-researched" branch of my family who went on the Mormon trek in the early 1800s. The only dodgy bit is the absence of a birth/baptism for the woman who started it all. Her claimed parents did marry (two years after her claimed birth date) but I can't reliably connect any of the children attributed to them. I'm hoping that the IGI and/or more Lancashire PR transcriptions will eventually settle it one way or the other. The father was a widower by 1841 and died soon after, so the censuses aren't a lot of help.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

She wasn't a Holden by any chance, lol!

My long-suffering 3 x GGM allegedly went on the Mormon trek. Doughty woman that she was, she managed to marry twice on the trek and have three children. Her second husband was an ancestor of Elvis Presley.

In total, she had 44 children, four of whom were born in Lancashire in the same year that she was trekking to Utah. She had her 40th child at the age of 69 and then died (no wonder). Death didnt stop her though - she then had another four children!

OC

Comment

Sorry, not a Holden. A Lishman, a family which has (genuinely) spread all over the globe. My one wasn't so prolific but the links are tenuous in the extreme.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OC

I do love your hardy HOLDEN women! An example to us all. ;)

Christine

Comment

familytree.page

This is my Turner family that went from Kent to Utah.

I agree, Nell, that I wouldn't follow up those with no submitter's contact details, nor those with about dates and there are some about dates in this site; but the actual dates were verified.
                                    Joy

Comment

Working...
                                    X