Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ELEANOR COULL nee Butcher born 1838 St Pancras - can you help me find her after 1861.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
    Just in case this turns out to be the right Thomas info about the above from another forum.

Moggie
    Thanks for that Moggie. Wonder if Emily, William and James Frances (Frank) travelled to the West Indies to deliver William there? Probably they are hiding in Ancestry with a mistranscribed surname .
    Liz

Comment

Hi Liz
      Nothing showing up for Emily in London burials.
      I did wonder if they were in the West Indies in 1841. I think William's obit said he spent some time with an uncle when he was a young lad. I wonder who the uncle was.
      Moggie

Comment

Just found another interesting article on Paperspast.

Moggie

Comment

Moggie - that is really interesting. Wow!!! It sounds like he knew Charles Dickens...or am I reading it incorrectly?
          Liz

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            Hi Liz
            Nothing showing up for Emily in London burials.
            I did wonder if they were in the West Indies in 1841. I think William's obit said he spent some time with an uncle when he was a young lad. I wonder who the uncle was.
            Moggie
            The only marriage IGI I could find between Thomas Coull (bookseller) and Emily Caroline was:

23/5/1826 Old Church, St Pancras. Her surname will be Roberts if I am correct. It isn't coming up now on Fam Search - can you find it on Ancestry London Marriages and does it gives us any clues? She would have been just 16 if her yr of birth is correct in 1851.

Coull appears to be a Scottish name.
            Liz

Comment

Hi Liz
              I've sent the image for the marriage but it doesn't give any clues.
              I also thought Coull was possibly a Scottish name & it might explain about son Thomas being in the Caledonian Asylum school, that's if it is the right one.
              It seems quite likely that William did know Charles Dickens.Some interesting info about how the newspapers started.
              Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie. I will e mail that school to see if can find any more info about Thomas...

Am signing off now for the weekend. Will be back on Monday.
                Liz

Comment

Just popped in to say I have e mailed the archivist at the Caledonian Asylum School via website asking for info. Watch this space...
                  Liz

Comment

Thought I would transcribe the newspaper article about William Coull's printing past as cannot copy it direct on to a word doc. Here it is...wondering whether to send it to the Daily Telegraph...

Article from Papers Past website: Anglo-Colonial Notes
                    Putanga 8971, 3 Hōngongoi 1907, Page 4 Star (newspaper) 4 May 1907

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...--10--1----2--

Mr William Coull, of Dunedin, was this week revisiting in Fleet Street the scenes of a boyhood spent amongst the printing presses of a generation back. Fifty years ago, Mr Coull was a printer’s boy in the office where the first copy of the ‘Daily Telegraph’ was printed. It was a humble four-page sheet, issued at twopence, and the first day’s issue numbered only 300 copies.

The proprietor, one Colonel Slee, failed to make the new paper pay, and the stone-hand, the advertisement manager and another man in the printing works took over the venture. They had it printed in a cellar near St Clement’s Danes, where a Mr Levy ran a very humble printing establishment. Still the paper failed to pay, and presently the little property passed into the possession of its printer, Mr Levy, who turned it into a going concern. Mr Levy is now the wealthy Lord Burnham, and the obscure sheet once printed in a cellar is now the world-famous journal, housed in magnificent premises in Fleet Street, and boasting a circulation of over a quarter of a million copies daily.

Mr Coull remembers the starting of the “Daily News” with Charles Dickens as its first editor, and the birth of the “Daily Chronicle” in a little barber’s shop in Clerkenwell. The “Chronicle” owed its original success to a policy of cheap “wanted” advertisements; these multiplied to such an extent that in time the whole four pages contained nothing but advertisements. Then it was that Mr Lloyd bought the property for £30,000, and launched the “Daily Chronicle” in Fleet Street. To this day, “wanted” advertisements are a distinctive feature of that journal.

Thirty-seven years ago Mr Coull went out to New Zealand, and with his two brothers, undertook the printing of the Dunedin “Star” when that paper was started. He has been settled in Dunedin ever since, but has made several trips to the Old Country, this being his fourth visit. Accompanied by Mrs Coull, he left Dunedin on February 28 and Sydney on March 20, arriving in London a fortnight ago.
                    Liz

Comment

Just googled Coull+W Indies+genealogy and this shows there was a prominent Coull family in West Indies on Fam Search.

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/w...buda_Genealogy
                      Liz

Comment

Morning Liz
                        You just can't keep away can you?
                        No will on TNA for a Thomas Coull died 1835.
                        You really need to know how old the Thomas was who died in 1835 & for that you need either a look up at Westminster archives or to contact them directly. The records for St Martin-in-the-Fields don't appear to be online.
                        Moggie

Comment

Moggie - I vowed I would stay away but I have an hour to spare...it's too cold and windy to go for my morning constitutional. I have put an interest on rootschat website surname section for Coull in NZ and London.

Occurred to me that if we have a possibly Scottish Coull in Antigua...are we talking slave trade here?

Thanks for checking that out...I had gone down that route but there is a charge at Westminster archives for online enquiry. Let's see what the enquiry to the Caledonian School turns up...if it is our Thomas Coull, might have parents details.
                          Liz

Comment

Right...chicken is the oven.... From more searches on Papers Past, Wm Coull ended up Superintendent of the Moray Place Congregational Church School.

This article gives details of his bro James's death. Also more history. The reason they emigrated to NZ was because of Wm's failing health:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...illiam+Coull--
                            Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 30-11-11, 20:39.
                            Liz

Comment

Hi Liz
                              The NZ air must have good for him as he lived to be 86.
                              I might have found him coming back from the West Indies.
                              From The Standard 21st Sep 1846.The Royal Mail steamship Avon arrived Southampton Saturday night.Passengers from Antigua Mr William Coull & Mr Hart.
                              I've also found a couple of references to another William Coull in Antigua which I am working on.
                              Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
                                Julie - you might not realise this but if you hadn't encouraged me to get the will of Edmund John Harding, who left a bequest to Wm Lewis in N. Zealand, none of this would have happened.

Thank you...

oooh no I didnt realise, but no thanks are needed really, is all part of the hunt for family members etc.. and there were that many wills I checked I can't remember which one was what..lol
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Liz
                                  Found this marriage,may be a connection.
                                  William A Coull Esq married Joyce Musgrave daughter of Anthony Musgrave M.D on 26/10/1848 in Antigua.
                                  Also found a few references to a William Ann Coull on the Executive council of Antigua. Surely that middle name can't be right?
                                  There's a chap on Genes who has a Joyce Musgrave & siblings in his tree plus a William Coull born 1820 but no place of birth given. If you have a sub to Genes it might be worth contacting him. There was also a Rev James Coull born c1748 who went to Antigua in the 1770s. Slave registers 1812-1834 on Ancestry list 899 slaves for a James Coull in Antigua.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Moggie - wonderful that you found Wm Coull coming back from the W. Indies. Had my atlas out today to check out where it is.

Unfortunately, I haven't got subs to GR - do you (or anyone else looking in) have subs and can contact him on my behalf?

Have you found any trees with the names in on Ancestry?

Started a new doc for W. Indies now - just off to copy and paste what you have found so far...

Found these on Family Search IGI earlier today - all submitted:

1. James Rev Coull Birth: 21/6/1748 Cullen, Banff, Scotland
                                    Death: After 1818 Of Antigua, Caribbean
                                    Marriage: Spouse: Mary 8/7/1784 St George, Antigua, Caribbean

2. William Coull Birth: About 1773 Of Antigua, Caribbean
                                    Burial: 14/2/1780 St Johns, Antigua, Caribbean
                                    Fa: James Rev Coull Mo: Elizabeth

3. Coull (a male) Birth: About 1750 Cullen, Banff, Scotland
                                    Death: St Lucia, Antigua, Caribbean

4. Adelaide or Elizabeth Coull Birth: 25/4/1835
                                    Of St Georges, Dominica, Leeward Islands
                                    Father: Dr Coull
                                    Marriage Abt 1857 Spouse: Thomas Burder Musgrave Of Antigua, Leeward Islands

ADDED: From 1841 census a few pages on, we know she was called Elizabeth.

5. Dr Coull Birth: Abt 1775
                                    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 30-11-11, 20:43.
                                    Liz

Comment

Just found the books available on Family Search microfiche are online and found a ref to Coull in Antigua.

http://www.archive.org/stream/histor...3oliv_djvu.txt

James Coull was rector between 1809-1828:

'1825 13 sq miles, 4,660 inhabitants. J Coull, rector of the united parishes of St Peter & St George, N A Gilbert MA officiating at St Peter's on own estate. S A Warner, assistant curate for both parishes. 1 Church, 250 sittings. N Gilbert's chapel 350 sittings.'

Church was rebuilt 1840 after old one burnt.

Thomas Coull, MD is also mentioned in Journal 1846. Haven't worked out what the journal is yet.

The other Family Search book available to read online is History of Antigua with family trees P-Z etc:

http://www.archive.org/stream/histor...e/n16/mode/1up

According to this website, a James Coull arrived in Antigua in 1773:

http://www.houseofnames.com/coull-family-crest
                                      Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 27-11-11, 22:07.
                                      Liz

Comment

Hi Liz
                                        Sorry, I no longer have a sub to Genes, perhaps you could put up a separate request for someone to contact him on your behalf. I've had a brief look at the sites you mention, will have a better look tomorrow.
                                        I know this is a long shot but maybe your Thomas Coull, father of William was born in Antigua, although I don't know how we could ever prove it.
                                        Moggie

Comment

This is so addictive, Moggie, I should be in bed now! Thank you for that suggestion - will do.

That is an interesting thought about Thomas Snr.

Have now found some articles written by William's older brother, Thomas. Touching to hear one of their voices...

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...Thomas+Coull--

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...Thomas+Coull--

and here a letter to the press about the behaviour of some boys (nothing new)

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...Coull-ARTICLE-

and another letter:

another letter to the editor...I think we can say Thomas was religious:

Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 28-11-11, 00:15.
                                          Liz

Comment

Working...
                                          X