Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ELEANOR COULL nee Butcher born 1838 St Pancras - can you help me find her after 1861.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last one about the printing co and matura mill - interesting from Papers Past:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...--10--1----2--

Signing off now for the night .
    Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
      Di - Have just collated all that useful info on word docs. William Coull's brothers were Thomas Coull born about 1930 St Martin-in-the-Fields, London and James Francis born about 1835 St M in the F. Both were compositor printers living with William & Eleanor Coull in London in 1861.

Looks like James Francis Coull married Emily.

From Moggie's newspaper article, the three brothers emigrated to NZ in the 1870s (along with Wm's wife and child).

Moggie - that article has really put the flesh on the bones of William's story, hasn't it. Thank you very much for finding that.

I notice Eleanor Coull born 1838 isn't in the burial plot with the rest of the family. Wonder if she did return to England and is the Eleanor Cowell Julie found on a passenger list in 1923. That yr of birth is out quite a bit though...
      Sorry, I pulled the "also buried here" info from Eleanors burial record -

Cemetery Details Surname COULL
      Forename ELEANOR
      Age 79 Years
      Gender Female
      Date of Death 22 Dec 1917
      Place of Death
      Last Address 48 HIGHGATE DUNEDIN
      Next of Kin
      Funeral Director Thorn, DUNEDIN
      Cemetery NORTHERN CEMETERY
      Location Block 74. Plot 11
      Date of Burial 26 Dec 1917
      Type Burial
      Date of Cremation
      Type of Service
      Ashes Disposal
      Occupation
      Place of Birth
      Date of Birth Not recorded
      Notes Original reference:- N19171250
      Native of:- ENGLAND
      Years in NZ:- 50
      Place died:- DUNEDIN

The following burials are also in this Plot
      COULL MARY 11 Years Burial 12 Sep 1882
      COULL WILLIAM 86 Years Burial 12 Oct 1917
      FOSTER ELEANOR 57 Years Burial 14 Jul 1918
      FOSTER JOHN 56 Years Burial 9 May 1905

So sad - I did not notice before - the day after Christmas, she was buried and less than 3 months after William. And then Eleanor Foster seven months later !!
      Last edited by dicole; 25-11-11, 21:14. Reason: more info
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Here's James Francis and Allice Emily's burials

Cemetery Details Surname COULL
        Forename JAMES FRANCIS
        Age 74 Years
        Gender Male
        Date of Death 14 Jan 1909
        Place of Death
        Last Address HIGH ST ROSLYN
        Next of Kin
        Funeral Director
        Cemetery ANDERSONS BAY CEMETERY
        Location Block 20. Plot 15
        Date of Burial 15 Jan 1909
        Type Burial
        Date of Cremation
        Type of Service
        Ashes Disposal
        Occupation
        Place of Birth
        Date of Birth Not recorded
        Notes Original reference:- A19090101
        Native of:- LONDON
        Years in NZ:- 39
        Place died:- DUNEDIN

The following burials are also in this Plot
        COULL EMILY 79 Years Burial 9 Dec 1923
        MANDENO ALICE EMILY 78 Years Ashes Burial 17 Nov 1951
        MANDENO HENRY 94 Years Ashes Burial 20 Aug 1973
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Di - thank you for all that info - it is great and keeping me busy at this end .

I have found the marriage of Alice Emily Coull (dau of James) to Henry Mandeno on 29/4/1908 ? Presbyterian church, Roslyn.

http://www.archives.presbyterian.org...nmarriages.htm

I have now heard from the new FTF member, Kat, in Australia, with lots of info. (Hi Kat if you have found your way to this thread ). Her grandfather, Wm Lewis, was the nephew of Eleanor Coull and he stayed with them when he emigrated to NZ.

Kat hasn't been able to find the passenger lists for the three brothers when they emigrated to N Zealand in 1870-1871. They weren't in UK for 1871 census so must have gone by then:

'Along with William’s brothers, Thomas (1829-1909) and James Francis (1835-1909) and their wives Matilda Ann Vince and Emily Sarah Collins (and children), the Coulls emigrated to New Zealand in 1971 and settled in Dunedin. I still haven’t been able to find out what ship they went out on.'

They would have sailed from London. The article with Wm Coull's obit says they emigrated 1870. Can anyone else find them ... or have you already tried? Sorry, if you have, my brain is awash now with so much new info coming over that former brick wall.
          Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 28-11-11, 21:30.
          Liz

Comment

This is absolutely fantastic! I have lots more info already! I'm still trying to navigate my way around this site. Thanks Liz and everyone else who have put forward this info.

Comment

Welcome Kat...I have just replied to your e mail sending you a copy of the Will of Edmund John Harding leaving a bequest to William, your grandfather, and a word doc on my grandmother, hopefully linking her to the Butchers.

I have put a lot of the above info into word docs which I can send you if you like, to save you copying and pasting it all...let me know.

Kat - have you found the Subscribed links under Quick Links icon at top of page...takes you to all the threads you have posted on. If in bold, means a new post.
              Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-11-11, 09:40.
              Liz

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post

So sad - I did not notice before - the day after Christmas, she was buried and less than 3 months after William. And then Eleanor Foster seven months later !!
                Di - meant to say I had noticed that too. Wonder if it was TB or some other awful contagious disease. Very sad.
                Liz

Comment

I have just caught up with this thread, the down underers have been busy... but what a fantastic outcome and interesting obit of Williams there Liz.. no wonder we couldnt find then on the 1871 cens esp as they were already in NZ!! well done!!
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie - you might not realise this but if you hadn't encouraged me to get the will of Edmund John Harding, who left a bequest to Wm Lewis in N. Zealand, none of this would have happened.

Thank you...
                    Liz

Comment

If anyone has time - could you find the Coull family in London in 1851 and 1841?

Head: Thomas Coull (bookseller)
                      Wife Emily Caroline
                      Sons: Thomas b1830, William b1831, James Francis b1834 (all b St Martin-in-the-Fields, London). Will be glad to have the census images.

Their abode in 1831 was St Martin-in-the-Fields, London.

Thanks.
                      Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-11-11, 13:13.
                      Liz

Comment

Hi Liz I've saved the images will email them to you Moggie

Looking at it again I don't think the 1841 is the right one.
                        Last edited by maudarby; 26-11-11, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                          Hi Liz I've saved the images will email them to you Moggie

Looking at it again I don't think the 1841 is the right one.
                          The 1851 is right with Emily as his widow with the 3 sons.

I've just remembered from William Coull's obit that as a lad he went for a few years to live with his uncle in the W Indies. So if he isn't on the 1841 census, that might be where he is, although it would seem a bit young to go there.

Now if this was WDYTYA, I would be jetting off to West Indies to find the Uncle...or least to see Kat in Australia . Never mind, this is a warm and helpful meeting place we can come to from all round the world.
                          Liz

Comment

Hi Liz
                            Just found a burial for a Thomas Coull on familysearch no age given.
                            Thomas Coull buried 29th Nov 1835 St Martin-in-the -Fields.

Moggie

Comment

Moggie - that could be our man...right area. Does he come up on Ancestry London burials?

I notice that in 1851 James Francis is called Frank Coull...

Am still trying to decipher the 3 sons' birthplace on 1851. Elsewhere, they give it as St Martin-in-the-Fields.
                              Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-11-11, 14:37.
                              Liz

Comment

Hi Liz
                                In 1841 there's a Thomas Coull age 11,a pupil in the Caledonian Asylum school in Islington.

Moggie

Comment

Moggie - that could be our man...right area. Does he come up on Ancestry London burials?

I notice that in 1851 James Francis is called Frank Coull...

Am still trying to decipher the 3 sons' birthplace on 1851. Elsewhere, they give it as St Martin-in-the-Fields.
                                  Hi Liz
                                  Nothing showing up on Ancestry London burials or the NBI.
                                  Birthplace of the 3 sons Westm. short for Westminster?

Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie. Just used wild card for 1841 with surname. There is an Emily Call b1810. Could you check it for me...thanks.

ADDED: ? Free BMD Death: Emily Coull death reg 6/1857 Islington. Vol 1b p117.
                                    Only searched up to 1861.
                                    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-11-11, 14:54.
                                    Liz

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                      Hi Liz
                                      In 1841 there's a Thomas Coull age 11,a pupil in the Caledonian Asylum school in Islington.

Moggie
                                      Just in case this turns out to be the right Thomas info about the above from another forum.

Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie. Just used wild card for 1841 with surname. There is an Emily Call b1810. Could you check it for me...thanks.

ADDED: ? Free BMD Death: Emily Coull death reg 6/1857 Islington. Vol 1b p117.
                                        Only searched up to 1861.
                                        Hi Liz
                                        I had just checked the Emily Call age 31. She was a servant & I suppose it could be her if she had fallen on hard times after Thomas' death.
                                        The 1857 death is in the right area but without an age you can't be positive it's her.

Moggie

Comment

Does that 1857 death show up on Ancestry London burials, Moggie?

They had quite well to do relatives living nearby and her sons were working...can't see her being a servant. And her occupation in 1851 is Householder...does that mean she owned her house?

EDIT - whoops in 1841 the boys would not have been working...sorry.
                                          Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-11-11, 15:13.
                                          Liz

Comment

Working...
                                          X