Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ELEANOR COULL nee Butcher born 1838 St Pancras - can you help me find her after 1861.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELEANOR COULL nee Butcher born 1838 St Pancras - can you help me find her after 1861.

10.01.2021: ADDED - Please see my blogs on the Coulls here on FTF for all the information obtained, along with a lot of history too. My Blogs>Liz's Blogs. If I haven't responded to messages in the past, please message me again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am revisiting this one as polishing up for another member of FTF who is 'in the family'.

This is her in 1861:

Head: William Coull b1832 St Martin-in-the-Fields. Printer.
    Wife: Eleanor b1838 St Pancras.
    living with:
    Brothers: both single, compositor printers and born St Martin-in-the Fields:
    Thomas Coull 31 Francis Coull 26
    living with
    Head: Charles Morrison 38 b Bethnal Green. Clerk Parliament Paper Office
    Wife: Elizabeth 32 b Southwark, their 5 children between ages 12 and 3 years.
    Mother-in-law: Frances ?Albert 66. House proprietor.

41 Richmond Rd. Civil parish: Islington St Mary Ecc par: St Andrew, London. Reg district: Islington Sub-reg district: Islington W.

Cannot find Eleanor in FMP, Ancestry records, including London burials, BMD death/Free BMD index after 1861.

This is her marriage from Ancestry:

Marriage: Ancestry London Marriages: 1/1/1859 St Mary, Islington.
    Eleanor Butcher + William Coull, both single and of full age. He was an overseer in a printing office, lived at 41 Richmond Rd. She lived at 8 Grace St.
    His fa: Thomas Coull, a bookseller.
    Her fa: John Butcher, undertaker.

Witnesses: J P Harding (he was married to Eleanor’s late father’s sister, Mary Jane)

Q: Can anyone read the other witness signature on the marriage entry please?

This could be their daughter: Eleanor Ann Coull Ancestry BMD birth: 4/1861 Islington Vol 1b p 226

Ancestry BMD marriage: Eleanor Anne Coull 10/1890 St George Hanover Sq., London. Vol 1a p955 to: Harry Wassell Moore or Edwin Watkins.

FreeBMD gives marriage date: 12/1890. No death under name of Eleanor A Watkins/Moore up to 1901.

Without Ancestry subs, hard to track Eleanor Anne. Cannot see an obvious entry for her married to either the above in 1891 census, after the marriage.

If she is Eleanor and Wm's daughter, where was she from 1861-1890 when she married?

Need some fresh eyes on this. Having a break for an hour now. Thanks for any help.
    Liz

?? 1871

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 161; Folio: 33; Page: 59; GSU roll: 823299.

Edwd Barker 51
    Emma Barker 55
    Henry Smith 28
    Charlotte Barnes 42
    Eleanor Coull 40 aunt (dressmaker) b. st martins.

addy 16 south street, marylebone.. hmmn image says she is Unm.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-11-11, 09:57.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

not having much luck Liz, the other witness name looks like 'M Price' but I could be wrong!
      Julie

Comment

can't seem to spot them at all Liz, sorry
        Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. I have that one from 1871. There is a link to Barkers. In that Maria Woods, sister of Eleanor's mother, married first Mr Carr than Mr Barker. Know this from her being with another sister in later censuses when she is widowed.

Have never been able to find her marriage to Mr Barker and we have tried on here before.
          Liz

Comment

Hi
            There's a William Coull stationer & Eleanor Coull on a passenger list arriving London 14th May 1910, boarded the ship in Sydney. Below them in the list is an Eleanor Foster. No ages or other info given.
            Moggie

Comment

Moggie - that is fantastic! I was just wondering if they emigrated! Can you help me find them on the outgoing journey from London to Sydney?

They must have gone between the 1861 and 1871 census. Thank you!
              Liz

Comment

Hi Liz
                The passenger lists on FMP don't start until 1890 but I wonder if they stayed here or went back to Australia. I wonder if they are on the 1911 census.
                Something Awful seems to have happened to Ancestry, I think the old search has gone for good.
                Moggie

Comment

following on from Moggie

Name: Eleanor Coull
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
                  Arrival Date: 27 Nov 1907
                  Arrival Port: Brisbane, Australia
                  Departure Port: London
                  Ship: Ortona
                  Nationality: English
                  Julie

Comment

Moggie - I feel handicapped by all my subs to FMP and Ancestry having expired...not worth me forking out for this bit of research...
                    Liz

Comment

Julie - well done! As they disappeared after 1861, looks like they might have had several trips back to London perhaps for family events? Looks like Eleanor was on her own that trip...
                      Liz

Comment

Bingo Eleanor Foster was their daughter. Have a look here, some interesting info.

If you want anything sent, images etc from Ancestry let me know, if I can work my way round this b***** new search thing.
                        Moggie

Comment

can't see much more atmo, but am still looking, and yes it does look like they were to ing/fro ing quite abit, though, no images I'm afraid.
                          Julie

Comment

Have you tried the usual method of getting back to the old search Moggie?

Loads of Eleanor and William coming up for travel to Australia but I haven't got world wide I'm afraid. I see they had a male with them coming in too - a Thomas Allen.
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-11-11, 11:29.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Moggie - thank you so much! Looks like the BMD birth of Eleanor Ann Coull I had was right.

It would be good to have the images for passenger lists for my records...will mail you.
                              Liz

Comment

Has anyone got access to the Australian census records to try and find them there? Thanks...
                                Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  Have you tried the usual method of getting back to the old search Moggie?

Loads of Eleanor and William coming up for travel to Australia but I haven't got world wide I'm afraid. I see they had a male with them coming in too - a Thomas Allen.
                                  Chrissie - which journey was it that Thos Allen was with them? Thanks for joining in the hunt.
                                  Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    can't see much more atmo, but am still looking, and yes it does look like they were to ing/fro ing quite abit, though, no images I'm afraid.
                                    Thanks Julie for searching for them for me.
                                    Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      following on from Moggie

Name: Eleanor Coull
                                      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
                                      looks like William was with her

Name: William Coull
                                      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
                                      Julie

Comment

It was the 14th May 1910 arrival in London Liz. They came from Brisbane on the 'Orsova' with Orient Steam Navigation Company Ltd.
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X