Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding out a priests history?????

Hello all,

I have 6 Priests that I would love to know more about or even what churches they seved at.

All 6 of them are decaesed and also my family.

1.Rev John Joseph Whelan (1864-1946). Reached his Golden Sacerdotal (1894-1944) the souvenir card reads that it was at Carmel of the Trinity San Diego, California on June 7th. He passed away in Texas from what I know (Either Santa Rosa or San Augustine).

2.Rev Patrick Whelan (1864-1929). He passed away 4th Jul 1929 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.

3.Rev Peter Paul Whelan (1874-1938). He married Elizabeth Louise Le Guillou. He passed away 28th Oct 1938 in New York.

4.Rev Francis Xavier Whelan (1865-1913). He passed away in 1913 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

5.Rev William Bernard Whelan (1868-1901). He passed away on 1 Oct 1901 in Ottawa, Canada.

6.Rev Henry Le Guillou (Sometimes down as LeGuillou). (1870-1948). He was the brother-in-law to Rev Peter Paul Whelan. I know he served at Our Lady Guadalupe Church in Santa Fe in October 1937 through Google searches and also from July, 1908 until January, 1914 he seved at St. Francis Xavier Church Lincoln, Wisconsin. He passed away in 1948 and was buried in Rosario Cemetery Santa Fe County, New Mexico.

I am most interested in the Whelan brothers but Henry is also important to me.
    Any help with how I can find out more about their lives during Priesthood wood be very much appreciated.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Have you tried contacting the churches involved? Or the archdioceses? Checked Santa Fe obits? I would think a priest would have a fairly extensive one, especially if he died in Santa Fe. Dunno if they would leave a will/probate record?

Comment

The problem is I dont know which churches that any of the Whelan brothers served at.
      I will see if its possible to locate any obits for any of them.
      Is there a main place where if you became a priest they would have a record of the career within the church???

Danny

Comment

Try Chronicling America - Congress Newspaper Archives (free)
        Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present.

I did a sample search on Francis Xavier Whelan and found this (if the link works). Not sure if it him as the dob seems different, but it does show that it a worthwhile source to investigate.

Possibly one of them even recommends a nerve tonic.
        Last edited by keldon; 14-10-11, 19:35.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

(Obviously) I don't know anything about tracing a priest's record within the church, but I do understand census records, BMD, etc.

Have you tried contacting the Catholic diocese in San Diego about John Joseph?

Have you tracked them thru the census records? I think that's a good starting place. Once you know where they are, you can check local papers & directories for info. These were all Catholic priests (despite the marriage)?

Familysearch seems to have only one hit for the men you have listed:
          W Whelan
          died 8 Oct 1901
          Ottawa, Carleton, Ontario
          Male

yr 1901 cn 7634
          film 1854089

Do you have that record? - not just the index, but the actual death registration/certificate?
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-10-11, 00:31.

Comment

Roman Catholic priests do their main training at a seminary and so you may need to find a seminary where they might have trained to obtain further information. However, this can also be a tricky one as some RC train to become priests abroad and in the UK they might have trained in Rome, Douai in France or Valladolid in Spain.

I note yours are in the USA and have no idea where they might have been trained.

Questions you need to have answers to before further research.

Were these priests RC or other denominations? Need to establish religion before further research.
            One getting married does not sound like an RC priest!! Yet the churches sound catholic??

Janet

Comment

I was under the impression that RC priests are titled Father, not Reverend? Am I wrong?

OC

Comment

RC priest are known as Father when talking to them, but in an official category or when writing to one then they are usually addressed as Reverend ...... or sometimes Reverend Father .....

"Priests" in churches are more often likely to be RC, unless very high church, otherwise they are vicars/pastors etc but not very sure of America so we need some further information to be able to help.

Could they be people from the LDS/Mormon church and I have no idea what they are called?

I have just googled Golden Sacerdotal and it appears to be a "Catholic" religion from Assyria.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Golden Sacerdotal Jubilee - 31st Anniversary of Patriachal Consecration

"Every year, the Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East, throughout the world, celebrates the 17th of October as the anniversary of the consecration of His Holiness Catholicos-Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV to the surpreme office of the Universal Church. With hearts full of intense admiration and love for His Holiness, the faithful of Mar Yosip Parish, along with Mar Narsai Parish of Assyrian Church of the East in the bay area, joined in faith and fellowship to honor and celebrate this special day with His Holiness.

Around 700 people were gathered at DoubleTree Hotel in San Jose, on October 20th, 2007 for a special evening to beseech the Lord Jesus Christ to strengthen His Holiness Mar Dinkha in leading the Holy Church and praising the Lord for blessing the Assyrian Church of the East with a holy and righteous leader."

So it looks as though you need to find out more about the Assyrian church and where they train their priests to obtain further help.

An e mail to the following website might help you further as it is a USA site:

There are some links to the RC church according to the article.

Janet.
                Last edited by Janet; 15-10-11, 12:44.

Comment

Try and find the RC Diocesan archivist - usually at Archbishop's residence/offices who should be able to help with a priest that had served in their area.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

The Assyrian church is not Roman Catholic, it is Greek Orthodox and that would explain the marriage - Greek Orthodox priests can marry.

(I should have known all this immediately I read the opening post because my ex converted to the Greek Orthodox church, lol)

OC

Comment

No, the Assyrian Church is not Roman Catholic and neither is it Greek Orthodox. Tbe Assyrian Church is Assyrian, with its own dogmas and beliefs!! If anything it is related to the Syrian church but also has links with Iran and India and other Eastern countries of this ilk

But it does have dialogue with the Roman Catholic Church as per website quoted above of which below is a small quote from the above:

"A milestone in relations with the Roman Catholic Church was reached on November 11, 1994, when Mar Dinkha IV and Pope John Paul II signed a Common Christological Declaration in the Vatican. The statement affirms that Catholics and Assyrians are “united today in the confession of the same faith in the Son of God…” and envisages broad pastoral cooperation between the two churches, especially in the areas of catechesis and the formation of future priests. The Pope and Patriarch also established a mixed committee for theological dialogue and charged it with overcoming the obstacles that still prevent full communion. It began meeting annually in 1995."

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 15-10-11, 16:27.

Comment

Thank you all for the help and advice with my query.
                        That Francis Xavier Whelan is indeed my guy as I have pictures of all the brothers and that face is very familiar to me.

I have emailed The Grand Seminary of Montreal and hope they can help me with some added information on my Grt Grt Uncle.

Once again thank you all.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          Familysearch seems to have only one hit for the men you have listed:
                          W Whelan
                          died 8 Oct 1901
                          Ottawa, Carleton, Ontario
                          Male

yr 1901 cn 7634
                          film 1854089

Do you have that record? - not just the index, but the actual death registration/certificate?
                          Do you have that record? Typically a register or certificate will have more info than is transcribed.

Comment

I know that he died in 1901 through one of his nephews but I did not have that record. Thank you for the information I shall see about sending away for more info (Fingers crossed).

Danny

Comment

have you tracked any or all of them thru the censuses?

Comment

Not one. I have tried to make use of the free access to 1920 and 1930 USA census but cannot seem to make any headway with the Whelans.

Danny

Comment

Well, maybe we make traditional searches, too? BTW, familysearch has now indexed most of the available US censuses, and may even include a copy of the record (depends on the year).

I notice that you have started another thread on one of the Whelans. Maybe you start one for each of them . . .

Comment

A while ago, someone found Dreen a Canadian obit online. Can anyone find an obit for William?

Comment

Working...
                                    X