Thinking aloud...opinions welcome....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking aloud...opinions welcome....

After checking the timeline, I can find nothing remotely relevent which would help explain why my 2nd great grandfather Charles Brandon, born in Shoreditch 1801, would have left London and taken himself off to Bristol, where he married in 1822 aged 21. He was one of 8 children and the only one who left London. As I have no way of discovering why.....might I assume it may have been because he was looking for something better in life?

Not really a research question but the type of mystery which bugs us all, unless or until we can get some kind of handle on it!
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Jen

I don't think reasons have changed over the centuries really.

You went for a better life or you went because you were adventurous or had itchy feet. however, your trade or occupation had a lot to do with whether you could easily move between parishes.

What did your man do?

OC

Comment

He was a Horse hair drawer and his wife and daughters horse hair pickers OC. It looks as though several of his sons were similarly employed too. I figured as much. Perhaps there wasn't much work around to his liking in London and he may have figured he might do better elsewhere, if he was going to make a life for himself. He eventually ended up in Manchester where several of his children (possibly also with itchy feet) took themselves off to. That is how come I was born in manchester......
      Jen

Comment

Rich merchants in Bristol needed posh furniture. So who was doing what in the furniture trade at the time?

Gravitation from Bristol to Manchester probably relates to the march of the Industrial Revolution and the reduction in importance of Bristol as a trading port with the ending of the slave trade.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have a similar mystery in my tree. My Greens were yeoman farmers in cheshire for at least five centuries, at the same farm. suddenly in 1864 they upped sticks and moved to Manchester. It was the worst thing they had ever done and it promptly killed most of them.

I have a photo of the farm and even today it is heartbreakingly beautiful. I cannot for the life of me understand what motivated the move into what was already a slum even then.

OC

Comment

That's interesting UJ and makes some kind of sense. There was (at the time) other Brandon ancestors, in London working in similar trades e.g, some of the women were tassle and fringe makers and the like.
            Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I have a similar mystery in my tree. My Greens were yeoman farmers in cheshire for at least five centuries, at the same farm. suddenly in 1864 they upped sticks and moved to Manchester. It was the worst thing they had ever done and it promptly killed most of them.

I have a photo of the farm and even today it is heartbreakingly beautiful. I cannot for the life of me understand what motivated the move into what was already a slum even then.

OC
              Perhaps UJ has answered your concerns too then OC. Possibly they were chasing the new Industrial revolution, in search of what they may have felt would have been a more prosperous outlook.
              Jen

Comment

No, they weren't chasing wealth, they already had a very comfortable life. and my 2 x GGF left a considerable amount of money when he died. A mystery!

OC

Comment

OC
                  After generations in the Cambridgeshire fens, one of my more adventurous ancestors decided Sydney was the place for him, better I think than his siblings who moved to Bradford Yorks.

The families in Somerset seem to have drifted to Bristol or Swansea with a trickle onto Manchester. Some, though chose the colony of New South Wales, which is why I am here.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

No, they weren't chasing wealth, they already had a very comfortable life. and my 2 x GGF left a considerable amount of money when he died. A mystery!

OC
                    Doesn't it get under your skin OC.......none of my lot ever had any kind of wealth regardless of any effort they put in chasing it......I can imagine how something like what happened to your ancestor/s, would drive you mad not finding any evidence relating to their decisions in life.
                    Jen

Comment

My Somerset lot moved up to Nottingham...but that's easy to explain because they were laceworkers & the lace industry was disappearing in Somerset & booming in Nottingham.

But I still don't understand why one g grandfather moved from Liverpool to Nottingham. He was German by birth, but he seems to have been part of the wave of German immigrants who made up almost all the labour for a big sugar factory there & virtually established their own community. He didn't work in the factory itself...he was a carpenter, but could have done that work in that German community/somewhere else in Liverpool. None of the rest of the family moved down & he kept in touch, so there wasn't a big family breakup. He was already married & stayed with that wife...so he hadn't met a woman from Nottingham anywhere. Indeed, some of his children were grown up & remained in Liverpool when he moved.

Maybe, Jen, Charles Brandon had met his future wife & she came from Bristol ?

I've also got someone else who came from a Nottingham family but, when she was a child, she, her parents & siblings, suddenly moved to Portsea, Hants, for a few years & then moved back again. He was a bricklayer's mate....maybe he just fancied some sea air

Comment

Maybe, Jen, Charles Brandon had met his future wife & she came from Bristol ?

His wife Martha all ready lived in Bristol Grey. She was born there, so Charles would have gone there then met her....though it was one answer I had considered early on.....

Re your carpenter Grey, maybe there was a bigger abundance of carpentry work in Nottingham then also...just a thought.
                        Jen

Comment

Thanks, Jen.

Well, you never know....maybe Martha/her family had visited London/Charles or his family had visited Bristol. Maybe the families had friends in either place. The annoying thing is that we're never likely to know. Maybe Charles had a friend who went to Bristol & he decided to go with him ?

One of my the young men from my Asher family in Nottm married in Southampton & settled there. In the same year another young male Asher from Leicester (no relation as far as I've been able to discover) did the same...in the same , narrow area, of Southampton. Seems a bit of a coincidence, but it's a long way to go without a previous connection. As far as I can tell, they'd been living in Nottm/Leicester all their lives prior to their marriages & I can't find any family links to Southampton....the women they married & their families seem to have lived in Southampton reasonably far into the past to make you wonder how they'd met their husbands.

Infuriating, isn't it ?

Comment

I've just had a thought about my ancestor who moved from Liverpool to Nottingham for no apparent reason. It's said in the family that he couldn't resist betting & his wife had to take a very firm hold on the purse strings & hand him out spending with enough for the odd bet as a treat. Just wondering if he scarpered because he owed a lot of money in Liverpool & it was from the time he moved to Nottm that his wife took over the finances. I'll never know & it's just speculation, but it's as good as any other reason I can think of

Comment

Working...
                            X