Singleton Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singleton Leonard

I have had a lot of help this week with my Leonard family from Brighton. Thanks very much to those people.

I now have the baptism's of Rosa/Rose Leonard 1864 and Richard Singleton Leonard, same date in Brighton

Father Singleton Leonard and Mother Annie Leonard.

On their birth certificates in 1859 and 1861 respectively, it states Annie as the Mother but no Father on either but on baptism it states Father as Singleton Leonard, Occupation Soldier.

Can't find a single reference to him anywhere. Can anyone else shed any further light on him, I would be very grateful

Linda

there is a Singleton Leonard listed in the U.S. public records on A*****ry.
    not got world wide so cant get you the details. Perhaps someone who has access will look for you

regards Jan

Comment

Hi Jan,

No luck, he was born in 1946

Thanks anyway

Linda

Comment

Could he be recorded with the names in reverse?..

Comment

I think his name is Leonard Singleton. there are loads to choose from.
          It doesn't look like they were married as his name is not on the birth certificates so she has given his surname alongside her maiden name to make it look respectable for the baptism or maybe the vicar only knew the surname and has decided to put it on the record.
          Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 18-09-11, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
            I now have the baptism's of Rosa/Rose Leonard 1864 and Richard Singleton Leonard, same date in Brighton
            Father Singleton Leonard and Mother Annie Leonard.
            Have you seen a copy of the baptism entry - does it say xxxx son/daughter of Annie and Singleton Leonard ??
            - or are you getting this information from a transcription?
            Elaine

Comment

Does it give any other names for Annie on the birth certificates?
              Margaret

Comment

No other name for Annie.

Information is from a transcription on Ancestry, two separate ones for both Rose(a) and Richard and a transcription from the Sussex History Soc. I'm not sure they could all be incorrect!!

BUT...I am beginning to think Singleton may be a figment of her imagination although not sure why she would pick such a fanciful name, especially as her son is called Richard Singleton Leonard!!

Although not having a record of his birth, marriage or death, or on any census and him being listed as a soldier (very convenient) I am beginning to wonder!

Linda
                Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 18-09-11, 10:50.

Comment

Information is from a transcription on Ancestry, two separate ones for both Rose(a) and Richard and a transcription from the Sussex History Soc. I'm not sure they could all be incorrect!!
                  The entries on Ancestry are taken from the BIVRI (British Isles Vital Records Index) composed by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. The trancription they used for this may well have originated from the Sussex Family History Society - so we could be looking at one transcription which has been passed on, correctly or incorrectly!

Your best bet would be to get a copy of the original entry from the baptism register.
                  Not sure if we have anyone on FTF who visits the local Records Office, if not you might find someone on Rootschat offering lookups.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much Elaine..I will make that my next step

Linda

Comment

I was just thinking perhaps that she didnt want to name the father at all? a 'Singleton' can be defined as a person that is not a twin or of multiple birth. sounds to me that it either means that or she named the father, albiet in a roundabout way, ie, surname Singleton, my own grandmother was born before her parents married, she was given the name of 'Shelton' as a middle name, (which was her fathers surname), later when her parents married (when she was 6 months old) she dropped her original surname and became a Shelton, never using her middle name as a middle name, but as a surname.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        I was just thinking perhaps that she didnt want to name the father at all? a 'Singleton' can be defined as a person that is not a twin or of multiple birth. sounds to me that it either means that or she named the father, albiet in a roundabout way, ie, surname Singleton, my own grandmother was born before her parents married, she was given the name of 'Shelton' as a middle name, (which was her fathers surname), later when her parents married (when she was 6 months old) she dropped her original surname and became a Shelton, never using her middle name as a middle name, but as a surname.
                        That's what I was thinking too!
                        Margaret

Comment

That's an interesting thought... she is on 1881 as a Widow..but you can call yourselves anything!

Linda

Comment

That's an interesting thought... she is on 1881 as a Widow..but you can call yourselves anything!

Linda
                            mmm, thing is how can she call herself a widow when her name didnt change? (I think that was just to 'save face', calling herself a widow that is.) tbh I dont think that you will find the father, looks like she took the fathers name to the grave.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Perhaps it would be worthwhile looking for anyone named Singleton in the area at the time rather than focussing on Leonard as a first name since we now think he may not exist.
                              Try Richard?
                              Margaret

Comment

I have tried that Margaret. But will keep looking from time to time,

Thanks for the help

Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X