Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone researching Leslie James "Jimmy" CHRISTMAS d 1969 BC, Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone researching Leslie James "Jimmy" CHRISTMAS d 1969 BC, Canada?

I was just playing around with a peripheral bit of my maternal tree, when one family just disappeared after 1911. As they had fairly distinctive names, I could only imagine emigration. I did some googling and sussed out Canada as a likely destination, and have now found a couple of public member trees with this member of that family included - here's one of the trees.
    Golovin Family Tree
    Public Member Tree
    Unsourced Leslie James Christmas
    Birth: dd mm 1899 - England
    Death: date - city, British Columbia, Canada
    Spouse: name surname
    Incidentally, the city for the death info is: Coquitlam
    The other tree is: slatten Family Tree

I don't have a current sub, so I can't contact whoever it is to let them know the additional info I have (assuming that they want it). In fact, I reckon the DoB should be 1903 - and that would fit in with my googled info, as well. Unless there's a really unlikely coincidence, Leslie James CHRISTMAS could be a bit of a "gateway ancestor", as the CHRISTMAS Tree has been researched back to Thomas CHRISTMAS, b c 1531.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-08-11, 16:52.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

nudge! Just in case there's someone else around who can help.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I could send a message if you wish. PM me your email address and I'll send that for them to contact you direct.
      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        I could send a message if you wish. PM me your email address and I'll send that for them to contact you direct.
        Margaret
        Thank you Margaret. I think I now have a message in hand - and should have posted to say so. If there's a problem with that route, may I come back to you?

Christine

Comment

Yes, of course, please do I'd be gad to help.
          Margaret

Comment

People are so kind here! I never have any reservations about recommending the site to other researchers!

I think it's all on it's way, so I shall have to wait and see if there's any feedback.

Christine

Comment

If my memory is correct Jimmy Christmas was the fire chief in Coquitlam when I was growing up. I think he went to school with my mom. Or maybe he was a generation older. Just know that he was referred to alot around home. What a surprise to see his name mentioned. Of course that was many years ago maybe the fire chief was his brother. Just remembered --- I have the book Coquitlam 100 years. There is a list of mayors L.J. Christmas 1945 - 1969 So not the fire chief. maybe that was guy called Bunny. There is no index of names in the book so I cannot see if anyone refers to him. No member of his family submitted a story I will look further after some h==888k gets done.
              Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

So much for h***k. Leslie james married jessie Florence Roberts 1927 May 7 and died July 26. If you would like I can get the certificates from the archives. And I could look for stories in the newspapers when he died. OH calls that tea is ready. Must run
                Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

In case you have other Christmases to find 19 married from 1905 to 1933 and 33 died from 1903 to 1989 so easy to get marriage records and death records. An excuse to go down to Archives;D
                  Donelda

Comment

That's really interesting. OH is hovering because he wants the computer, but I'll get back to this tomorrow (when he's out for a lot of the day!).

thank you very much!

Christine

Comment

Leslie James Christmas

If you are still interested about him, he was my Grandfather, my Mother was his daughter. I have done a bit of a Family tree and would be happy to know if there is a relation here

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      I was just playing around with a peripheral bit of my maternal tree, when one family just disappeared after 1911. As they had fairly distinctive names, I could only imagine emigration. I did some googling and sussed out Canada as a likely destination, and have now found a couple of public member trees with this member of that family included - here's one of the trees.

Incidentally, the city for the death info is: Coquitlam
                      The other tree is: slatten Family Tree

I don't have a current sub, so I can't contact whoever it is to let them know the additional info I have (assuming that they want it). In fact, I reckon the DoB should be 1903 - and that would fit in with my googled info, as well. Unless there's a really unlikely coincidence, Leslie James CHRISTMAS could be a bit of a "gateway ancestor", as the CHRISTMAS Tree has been researched back to Thomas CHRISTMAS, b c 1531.

Christine

Comment

Recently I was able to take my Cambridgeshire family back to Thomas CHRISTMAS bap 1653 Landbeach Cambridgeshire. His daughter Tabitha Christmas married Henry Grey and their daughter Tabitha Grey married William Goodenough 1749 in Cambridge.

Thomas Christmas is my 7 g grandfather.
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                          Recently I was able to take my Cambridgeshire family back to Thomas CHRISTMAS bap 1653 Landbeach Cambridgeshire. His daughter Tabitha Christmas married Henry Grey and their daughter Tabitha Grey married William Goodenough 1749 in Cambridge.

Thomas Christmas is my 7 g grandfather.
                          Yes. There seem to be a few enclaves of CHRISTMASes around the country. I think that the main group is Hampshire, with strays into Sussex, but there's an East Anglian lot and some in Yorkshire. There are actually one or two in S W Herts, too, but I haven't found a link to mine. One of the CHRISTMAS families in E Anglia is a Hampshire stray:
                          Eli Hector CHRISTMAS, b Farringdon (Alton), Hants. DoB probably b 11 Nov 1852. m Charlotte NEEVE 1878q2 St Luke, Hull.
                          He joined the RN 10 Sep 1869. By 1891 he was boatman in the Coastguard Service at Marfleet. He drowned, tragically, at Saltfleet on 5 Feb 1903 when the boat capsized during a practice launch.

Christine

Comment

So sad about Eli.

I would never have thought it was such a widespread name. Very few of the names I am researching are totally confined to one county !

Another unusual family name of mine is BRAZILL from Norfolk, but there seem to be others from Buckinghamshire and even Ireland, with no apparent connections (there's also some strays in Gloucestershire and Scotland but they belong to the Norfolk lot).

I am also interested in the Haylers from Sussex, I might be connected to them by marriage !

Cheers

Di
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia
                            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

So you have both CHRISTMAS and HAYLER (Sussex)! That's intriguing.

The main names for HAYLER (& variants) in my tree are:
                              Jane HAYLER/HAILER
                              bap 31 Jul 1808 Felpham, SSX. Jane HAILER
                              m 15 Sep 1834, Felpham, SSX. Henry BIGWOOD, & Jane HAYLER
                              m 8 Oct 1844, Felpham, SSX. John CLARKE & Jane BIGWOOD

I reckon I have found her in 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871, but in 1881 the only likely candidate I have found, so far, is:
                              RG11/1453fo20p10: Jane CLARKE, 73 (Portsea), W; ldgr (Charles 61 (b Amersham) bill poster & town crier. & Sarah WINGFIELD 59 (b Rickmansworth), needlework), High St, Amersham
                              and that one appears to have this death record:
                              1890q1 Jane CLARK age 83 Amersham 3a-428

and her parents, specifically, John HAILER/HALER/HAYLER, b 1770-1, or 1767-8 (?Upper) Beeding
                              ~~~~~

Oh, Dear... now I've got hooked on chasing lots of different shadows! and I should be singing!

Christine

Comment

Christine, I was reading this with interest and wodered if you missed Steve's post about him being the grandson? You only seem to have replied to Diane's post. Just curious!
                                Anne

Comment

Grandfather

Kinda wondered that myself:p But maybe she didn't see it. he was Mayor of Coquitlam for a nuber of years. He had 4 sisters, and when he married, he had 2 daughters, so the Christmas name died with him. The Golovin name you mention is my Moms sister (my aunt) Betty married name. She married John Golovin and they had 4 daughters. Granfathers dad (my greatgrandfather) was Arthur Christmas. Can give you more info if you like.
                                  Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                  Christine, I was reading this with interest and wodered if you missed Steve's post about him being the grandson? You only seem to have replied to Diane's post. Just curious!
                                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Steve H View Post
                                    If you are still interested about him, he was my Grandfather, my Mother was his daughter. I have done a bit of a Family tree and would be happy to know if there is a relation here
                                    Hello Steve

I wasn't intending to ignore your - extremely interesting post... I missed it because I was looking to follow up the preceding conversation and didn't properly "register" what you were saying.

I have:
                                    Leslie James CHRISTMAS as s/o Arthur John CHRISTMAS b1878 East Meon, HAM - d ?; & Ethel Amey MORGAN.
                                    Arthur John CHRISTMAS as s/o Albert CHRISTMAS b 11 Jul 1840 Stoughton, SSX - d 1915q2 age 74 Petersfield (East Meon?); & Catherine WESTON
                                    Albert CHRISTMAS as s/o William CHRISTMAS b 1809 Ripley, SRY - d 1854q3 Catherington; & Elizabeth MATTHEWS
                                    William CHRISTMAS as s/o William CHRISTMAS b 1785 East Worldham - d 1862 Old House Farm, Alton, HAM; & Jane BENNETT
                                    William CHRISTMAS as s/o William CHRISTMAS b 1749 East Worldham - d 18 Jul 1825 East Worldham. This would be the common CHRISTMAS ancestor - my Gx3-grandfather

This is only a part of the Christmas Tree (of course!) that you can pick up from a member of the Guild of One Name Studies. I have done some of the research on my own account to get more detail for the parts of the tree that are of particular interest to me.

The earliest name I have at the moment is Edward CHRISTMAS (no dates; my Gx12-grandfather), father of Thomas CHRISTMAS (or variant) 1531 - 1589. That is significantly dependent upon the work behind the GoONS tree.

By all means PM me with an email address and I'll send you some more detail - and you can illuminate that fragile bit of my tree!

Christine

Comment

For clarity, the common ancestor would be:
                                      William CHRISTMAS b 1749 East Worldham - d 18 Jul 1825 East Worldham. This would be the common CHRISTMAS ancestor - my Gx3-grandfather

However, your feminine ancestor at that point would be different from mine:
                                      yours: m 13 May 1784 East Worldham. William CHRISTMAS & Maria BRIDGER (1765-1797), by Licence
                                      mine: m 2 Sep 1802 East Worldham William CHRISTMAS & Hannah FROST (c1779-1850), by Licence

There seems to have been an earlier marriage to "Mary", from which union there were three or four children.
                                      Your William CHRISTMAS (b 1785) was the eldest child of the 1784 marriage.
                                      My ancestor was Eli b 1806, 2nd s/o of the 1802 marriage.

I can see that your branch of the tree includes John Reeves who executed a beautifully drafted Christmas tree, working the hard way, long before the internet became such a powerful tool. Where you are descended from Albert, b 1840, John is descended from the next child, Jane Elizabeth, b 1842, also in Stoughton SSX. I think (if my arithmetic is correct) that that makes you and John 3rd cousins, once removed! I think we are 4th cousins, twice removed.

Christine

Comment

I have some of this Christmas family in my tree (married in - my first cousin 8 times removed, Elizabeth Thornton, had married a William Christmas c.1690 ref. her father's will and I had been looking to see if they were conncted with the East Worldham family) and I have just received this message on Ancestry:

William Christmas, East Worldham

I note you are researching the Christmas family, whilst I am not connected with this family a representative of East Worldham Parish Church is trying to contact a direct descendant of William Christmas (1785-1862) re his tomb at EW churchyard. You list his grandchildren, one of which Alfred William was staying at EW with his grandfather at the time of the 1851 census. If you are interested in making contact or could direct me towards the right person to approach it would be greatly appreciated.

I will reply to the person anyway, letting them know that I am only distantly connected if at all, but will tell them that I have posted the message on here. If you have a tree on Ancestry, you may have received the same messge but if not and you want to get in touch, just send me a PM and I will let you have the user name.
                                        Caroline
                                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                        X