Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new Post Office Appointment Books on Ancestry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Post Office Appointment Books on Ancestry.

Amongst the recent additions to Ancestry's records are the British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969.
    This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors.
    That means you can see the list of hits, and even the initial info, but not the images, unless you have a current subscription.

I have found a record which may be of side-ways relevance (i.e. he's brother of an Ancestor), but I don't know whether or not it's worth adding that record to the list for my next trip to the library. If there's lots more in the image than just the name and date of appointment, then I'll go and have a look.
    It's for Arthur BENNETT, appointed Jan 1899 in Birmingham.

And there's always the risk that he isn't part of my family - in which case there are some other records I've attached to him and will need to weed out!

I'd be grateful if someone can tell me if I should add him to my list for the next library visit.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-07-11, 17:29.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

He was appointed as T (I think) Postman, Birmingham. T might be temporary. The one above him is a "R Postman" on a transfer, and the one above that is a Postman, also on a transfer.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you, UJ.

Looks like it's only worth tacking on a list: it isn't worth making a special trip!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I raced off to view this dataset but was disappointed not to find my Gran who worked in Manchester as postwoman when her children were small to help supplement the family income. Also not there was a newly discovered distant relation who was a village post mistress for some years.

Comment

My grandad is on there as starting his post office career in 1951 in Leeds, am quite impressed

Comment

Some Post Office appointments are reflected in the London Gazette - including the Arthur BENNETT, mentioned above.

Christine

Comment

Oh this is exciting isnt it. Must point out they say these are "the first" records so Im assuming, hoping, there will be more as my GGFx2 was a post carrier and I havent yet found him. But I have found his brother - its amazing how important the jobs appear to have been with appointment, in his case, by the Duke of Richmond as a Foreign mail carrier and then an upgrade? to a bag man?

Also, found the daughter of GGFx2 being appointed as a "Call Wire Operator" in 1908. Is this a telephone operator do you think?

Oh, just found the brothers son being appointed a a Post Letter Carrier on the recommendation of his father, now superannuated
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 23-07-11, 00:30.

Comment

Just to let you know it also includes GPO engineers/employees , as I have found two of the people I worked with, one started in 1939 and another in 1955 . I also found my wife's aunt who was a telephonist. All three in the Birmingham area.
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  I raced off to view this dataset but was disappointed not to find my Gran who worked in Manchester as postwoman when her children were small to help supplement the family income. Also not there was a newly discovered distant relation who was a village post mistress for some years.
                  It only covers people directly employed by the Post Office. (Scale payment) Sub-postmasters and their employees were/are on conract to the Post Office/Royal Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    Some Post Office appointments are reflected in the London Gazette - including the Arthur BENNETT, mentioned above.
                    Or the Post Office Gazette (me for example!). These lists only contain people in sub-management grades, and don't include sub-post-office employees unless they worked in a Crown post office.

Comment

I am finding more and more GPO engineers I worked with when I started work with GPO Telephones in 1962, most of who started employment before 1955ish. Also found a relative who was a messenger between Enstone and Charlbury in OXF 1849 who I had recorded in the same year as a carrier in a baptism.
                      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

found my two Uncles

Comment

Working...
                        X