Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for baptisms of two TAUTZ brothers in Middlesex

hI,

George Leonard Tautz and Charles Tautz have two other brothers William Franklin Tautz and Alfred James Tautz, both were baptized Christ Church, St Marylebone and a sister Isabella Alice baptized Christ Church, Southwark, Surrey. The family of 5 children appear on 1841 census HO107/673/19 St Giles in the Fields, Finsbury with their parents Charles and Isabella.

According to the 1841 census George Leonard Tautz is born about 1836 and Charles about 1831 and I would like some help to find their baptisms
    because this is one of those families where there is christian name confusion.
    thanks
    tiddles

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906
    George Lenoard Tautz
    Baptism Estimated Birth Date: abt 1836
    Baptism Date: 13 Mar 1836
    Father's name:Charles Alfred Tautz
    Mother's name: Isabella Tautz
    Parish or Poor Law Union: St Marylebone Christ Church
    Borough: Westminster

William Frankling Tautz was baptised the same day 13 March 1836
    Alfred James Tautz on 15 Sep 1833

Then there is Isabella Alice 17 Oct 1841 Southwark Christ Church

Cannot see a Charles.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-07-11, 01:47.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Marriage
      Charles Alfred Tautz and Isabella Frankling 02 Dec 1832 St Mary at Lambeth, Surrey

Witnesses: Henrietta Tautz and Jas Longman Gawler (He signed lots of others tho')

Is it likely that father Charles Alfred or Isabella had been married before?

Possibly Charles born c 1831 was born to a previous marriage or was illegitimate.
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-07-11, 15:24.
      Kat

Comment

in addition to the information on Isabella Alice Tautz baptised 17 Oct 1841... birth was 30 March 1841. Died 14 Dec 1842.
        Craig

Comment

I found this last night but was too tired to look at it properly, lol. Perhaps others can help by finding these on the census to eliminate them as a possibility:

IGI batch no Co47932
          Charles William Franklin
          born 4 may 1831
          baptized 27 Nov 1831 Old Church , St Pancras, London to parents John and Isabella

Only one child baptized to them

However, it says Isabella is a spinster on her marriage entry to Charles.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-07-11, 15:26. Reason: sp
          Kat

Comment

Found a marriage for Isabella Tautz to George Henry Law 4th Aug 1850 Lambeth Surrey.

Jul-Aug-Sep 1850
            v4 p341 Lambeth
            Isabella's father is given as William Franklin deceased, a farmer.

Therefore I think we can eliminate the birth for Charles in post 5.
            Kat

Comment

I found Charles on 1851 with his mother and step father George Law- mistranscribed as Tanley, b 1833 Marylebone - cheesemonger
              HO107; Piece: 1569; Folio: 219; Page: 17

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-07-11, 17:40.
              Kat

Comment

Tiddles,
                Is any of this info of any use to you - I don't know if you have all this information.
                Kat

Comment

Oh this is really strange.
                  I have found a marriage for Charles Tautz to Maria Chubb and his mother Isabella Law is a witness. However Charles gives his father as Char (crossed out )and David Tautz has been written along side.???
                  8 Aug 1854 St Marylebone

Can someone have a look at this and see what you think please.

I think this must be the question that was being asked in the first place.
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-07-11, 20:33.
                  Kat

Comment

I see you already have all this information from Roots web

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=485017.0

W
                    ell that was a waste of time.:(
                    Kat

Comment

Looking for two Tautz brothers

Hi, Latarzyna,

Thanks very much for the baptism for George Leonard Tautz. I thought I'd try again on this family just in case something was omitted the first time round on Rootsweb which is why I just asked for someone to look for the two baptisms, George Leonard Tautz baptism obviously was, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I decided to go through the children of Charles and Isabella one at a time to see if anything comes up.

I have found Charles and Maria's children Ann Fanny,fathers name CHARLES WILLIAM TAUTZ; George Alfred, father CHARLES WILLIAM TAUTZand Charles James Thomas Tautz, father CHARLES WILLIAM FRANKLIN TAUTZ. I can't get my head round this one, because Charles has a brother named William Franklin Tautz who incidentally I can't find anything on him. All those three children die in infancy but they have a daugher Emily who I know little about, other than in 1871 living with charles and maria in st. saviour, and 1881 census living in lambeth walk.

I appreciate all the time you have spent on this, and would understand if you do not wish to continue.

best wishes
                      tiddles

Comment

Hi,
                        I'm pleased that I was able to find something for you that you hadn't already got. I enjoyed working thro' it all - I always like a challenge. I just wish you'd put up the reason for this statement:

"this is one of those families where there is christian name confusion"

When I saw the witness - Isabella - on the marriage of Charles and the father's name David - the penny dropped.

This is the only indication that a David exists that I can find:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...i=0&gss=angs-d

a
                        ssuming the e should be a z. I can't even find a mention of a David by scrolling thro to the T's !!!
                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-07-11, 01:54.
                        Kat

Comment

I can't find anything on a David Tautz either....possible birth in another country maybe european? or was name made up and was actually something else? frustrating! lol.
                          Craig

Comment

If Charles Tautz was born 1831 as on 1841 census then he was born before his parents married.
                            On Charles's marriage entry his mother is a witness as Isabella Law having remarried after the death of her husband Charles.
                            Maybe she had second thoughts when her son married and thought she would need to tell her son the truth about his parentage as she would be signing a legal document.
                            You could be right about a European connection, CP. Perhaps she met her husband thro' a cousin David . She didn't legally have to have her son baptised or registered so the truth may never be revealed.
                            Kat

Comment

Just googled Tautz and it brings up some old posts on the ancestry boards...looking more on google it seems the surname could be of German origin. Quick look on IGI and there is a couple of David Tautz births around the right time...Although Charles was born definately before his parents married...

Craig.
                              Craig

Comment

Re: Looking for 2 Tautz brothers

Thanks very much Katarzyna and Craig.

I had another idea, to look up Isabella's baptism etc and when I have her parents I will find all the children born to them and I might find a baptism that way of a Charles - although it may not be obvious, because when I found details of Charles and Maria's childrens' christenings, the fathers' name was down as Charles William Franklin Tautz even though he has a younger brother called William Franklin Tautz. They could've "adopted" an illegitamate child of Isabella's, and bring the child up as their own, I imagine that this type of thing went on quite a lot in those days.

regards
                                tiddles

Comment

Originally posted by cpdavis35 View Post
                                  Just googled Tautz and it brings up some old posts on the ancestry boards...looking more on google it seems the surname could be of German origin. Quick look on IGI and there is a couple of David Tautz births around the right time...Although Charles was born definately before his parents married...

Craig.
                                  This cannot be said for sure. His birth year varies on all censuses. 2 say 1831 but others say 1833/4.
                                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by tiddles View Post

I had another idea, to look up Isabella's baptism etc and when I have her parents I will find all the children born to them and I might find a baptism that way of a Charles - although it may not be obvious, because when I found details of Charles and Maria's childrens' christenings, the fathers' name was down as Charles William Franklin Tautz even though he has a younger brother called William Franklin Tautz. They could've "adopted" an illegitamate child of Isabella's, and bring the child up as their own, I imagine that this type of thing went on quite a lot in those days.

regards
                                    tiddles
                                    I found on Family search that she married Charles at St. Mary'S Church, Lambeth, Surrey, England. Her father is William Franklin(g) as I put in post 6. It might be worth searching the parish records for her birth c1818.

I found POSSIBLE Marriage for father William Frankling:

09 Sep 1803 —Lambeth, Surrey, England
                                    England Marriages, 1538–1973
                                    William Franklin
                                    Sarah Burgess
                                    09 Sep 1803
                                    Lambeth, Surrey, England
                                    I02857-8
                                    England-EASy

A POSSIBLE Baptism for William:
                                    WILLM FRANKLIN
                                    International Genealogical Index
                                    Gender: Male Christening: 27 AUG 1783 Saint Saviour, Southwark, Surrey, England
                                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 20-07-11, 10:48.
                                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by tiddles View Post

regards
                                      tiddles
                                      This is quite possible. I found the following via a google link of another child born to Charles and Maria. Charles with the word Franklin in his name....

Charles James Thomas Tautz baptised 25th February 1866 Lambeth born 27th January 1866. Parents listed as Charles William Franklin Tautz and Maria Tautz of King Street, Father Charles listed occupation of carman.

Can't find a bap/christening for Isabella. Although Charles Tautz, as Kat has rightly pointed out, his age differs on the census. I did find this though on familysearch... might be relevant but might not be...

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
                                      Name: Charles William Franklin
                                      Birth: 4th May 1831
                                      Residence: 1831 - London, England
                                      Parents: John Franklin, Isabella
                                      Baptism: 27th Nov 1831, Old Church, St. Pancras, Middx.

Craig
                                      Last edited by cpdavis35; 20-07-11, 13:40.
                                      Craig

Comment

Working...
                                      X