1911 census searches on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census searches on Ancestry

Can someone please remind me how to do it?

For example, I've got Edward Allton, b. 1882 and according to the summary books he's living with 2 females and 1 other male on Atherstone Road, Kingsbury, Warks (but in Tamworth, Staffs reg district). It's Sub 1, ED 27, Piece 1043.

When I get to the search boxes, there's somewhere to put the Parish, somewhere for the Sub and somewhere for the ED. Having entered that, it takes me to 349 pages to view, but short of going through them one by one, I don't know how to get to Edward.

Frustrating, innit?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

You should take a note of which page your family are on and then double it. This should take you to the correct page or very near to it.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Is this the one
      ALLTON, Edward Head Married M 29 1882 Bricklayer Warwicks Kingsbury
      ALLTON, Georgetta Wife Married 3 years F 30 1881 Warwickshire Kingsbury
      ALLTON, Ethel May Daughter F 1 1910 Warwickshire Kingsbury
      PRATT, Edward Uncle Single M 24 1887 Coal Miner Hewer Warwicks Kingsbury Hurley Atherstone
      Margaret

Comment

Where does it say the Page Number? Is that the same as Household Schedule Number?

Comment

That's them, Margaret.

Edward was the oldest of 15 and although the younger ones are at home (and someone else has found them for me), I'd like to be able to find the ones that aren't myself.

Thanks.

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            Where does it say the Page Number? Is that the same as Household Schedule Number?
            Yes, it should have a number in No. of Schedule in the 1st column.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Brill.

Found them now.

<<<<<<<<< woosh >>>>>>>>> Sound effects of me rushing off to find the rest of the brood.
              Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 25-06-11, 13:20. Reason: typo!

Comment

Just used the procedure - with success!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                  It's Sub 1, ED 27, Piece 1043.
                  Am I the only one who can't find the options for entering this kind of information in a search at Ancestry? :o I've had this problem before and have been pointed in the right direction, so I'm obviously being thick!
                  Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
                    Am I the only one who can't find the options for entering this kind of information in a search at Ancestry? :o I've had this problem before and have been pointed in the right direction, so I'm obviously being thick!
                    The process for searching the 1911 cencus on Ancestry is currently completely different from searching previous England and Wales censuses, because it hasn't yet been indexed. The previous census search box has spaces for entering the detailed information such as ED (Enumeration District) and Piece number.

For the 1911 census you first need to find the person/family. This is easiest done with a free search of the 1911 census site, combined if possible with a search on the Genes Reunited 1911 site, which will give the place of birth. If you have paid access to FMP (Find My Past) it's alot easier because their 1911 census is indexed. Anyway, the next step on Ancestry is to search the enumerators' record books. This will only work if your person is the head of household. It will give you the Enumeration District (ED), possibly the Parish and/or the Sub-district (SD) and most importantly the Household Schedule number.

Then go to the 1911 Census for the required country. You'll be able to fill in the various details and will end up (hopefully) with the records for the correct sub-district or parish. Each record consists of 2 pages, so the page number you want is household schedule number times 2. This should get you either spot on or within a few schedules either way of the correct one.

And one day Ancestry will index their records and eliminate all this faffing about!
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for that, John, but I can't even find the option in other censuses.
                      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
                        Thanks for that, John, but I can't even find the option in other censuses.
                        That is probably because you are using the "new search method" rather than the "old search method".
                        Click on SEARCH on the navigation bar, and then select SEARCH ALL RECORDS.
                        To the right hand side of the page, under the navigation bar, you will see "go to old search" or "go to new search" depending which one you are using at the moment (probably the new).
                        If you now select a census to search you will see boxes for the census reference on the search page.
                        Elaine

Comment

Aha! Talk about buried deep. Thanks, Elaine. :D

Comment

Working...
                          X