No announcement yet.

New - West Yorkshire parish records on ancestry 1512 - 1997

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I was pleased to find so many birthdates, because it helps to track down the GRO reference if the name's a common one.

I don't think South Yorkshire actually existed until fairly recently, so the older records will be included with West Yorks.

Comment

Does anyone have time to check something for me?

I'm curious to know whether these two children are twins:

Births Jun 1900
      Webster Arthur Bradford, Y. 9b 60
      Webster Charles Henry Bradford, Y. 9b 60

Arthur's baptism is in the new Ancestry records in 1901, parents James Henry Webster
      and Amy Jane Webster (née Inman), but there doesn't seem to be a baptism for Charles Henry.

The only likely death for Charles in the GRO index seems to be in 1910, aged 10.

All James and Amy's other children were baptised (except Amelia 1899, who I haven't found yet). Arthur and Charles have the same reference number on YorksBMD, but I don't know how significant that is.

So I was wondering if the image for Arthur's baptism also shows Charles Henry, and who his parents were.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-06-11, 14:10.

Comment

Arthur was baptised 17 May 1900 and born 19 Apr 1900. His parents are James Henry and Amy. There is no sign of another child baptised at the same time.

Sandra

Comment

Ah, thanks very much. That seems to rule out Charles Henry as being one of their children, then.

Comment

I'm getting the impression that some of the birth dates may not be correct.

Some of mine are showing the same birth year as the year of baptism, whereas I know from the birth registers that they were born several years earlier. Best to check the image every time to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              I don't think South Yorkshire actually existed until fairly recently, so the older records will be included with West Yorks.
              The People's Republic of South Yorkshire came into being in the local government reorganisation of England and Wales in 1974. All the former County Boroughs, Rural Districts and Urban Districts were abolished at the same time and new District Councils and Metropolitan Boroughs came into being.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Mary,

Do you want James and Amy's other children's births and baptisms?

Sandra

Comment

Glad you gave us the nudge

Found three baptisms I needed to confirm............

cheers
                  Jan x

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post

Do you want James and Amy's other children's births and baptisms?
                    No, I've got them all, but thanks very much for offering

Comment

Oh great, just when I've let my subscription lapse. I was hoping they'd offer me a discount if I waited a bit.
                      Ah, brilliant, I knew it'd be worth waiting.

I've just had an e-mail from Ancestry offering Premium membership at the same price as Essentials if I sign up before 29/7, which means a £24 discount.

I phoned to ask if I could have World membership with a £24 discount, and they said yes, so I've now renewed.

Comment

Ooh, fantastic, now I can view the images, I see a lot of the Bradford baptisms have the mother's maiden name.

Comment

Very annoying that it doesn't seem to include places that were in the West Riding, but are now in North Yorkshire.

Comment

Yes, I agree. I have a lot in Ripon, but against this my Barnsley records probably out number my Ripon records.

Sandra

Comment

I'm getting the impression that some of the birth dates may not be correct.

Some of mine are showing the same birth year as the year of baptism, whereas I know from the birth registers that they were born several years earlier. Best to check the image every time to be on the safe side.
                              OK, I've worked out why this is happening, and anyone who's using the database without an Ancestry sub needs to be aware of it.

In some cases, Ancestry has only transcribed the day and month of birth, not the year. If you have a sub, this is obvious, because all you see is the day and month.

However, if you don't have a sub and try to work out the date of birth by trial and error, it'll always give a hit when you enter the same year for the birth as the year of baptism, which in many cases isn't correct.

Comment

Just died and gone to heaven myself too- thank you - have broken through about 5 walls now in my direct line
                                Last edited by taffyfrog; 25-06-11, 23:02.
                                CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
                                X