IGI Yes or No!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipeman,

You MAY find wills in Yorks and the National Archives but not ALL wills are in the public domain in this way, and the wills that I have found for my 18 and 19 century Northants/Hunts ancestors have been found mainly at the CRO in Northampton. Only 3 wills have been found through TNA. If the record office you want is at North Allerton then I would certainly browse their catalogue and if they have not got one then fire them off an e mail to find out what their holdings are and do they posses wills for the area you are interested in. Every CRO has its own way of dealing with the documents in their possesion. Northants are good because they have various drawers dealing with places/people/documents such as wills so all I had to do was go to the will drawer and look up my names of interest. Believe me I was very pleasantly surprised at what was available on my own family and unavailable any where else.

And yes you may have to visit both Lancs and Yorks CRO's in the same way that I have had to visit both Northants and Hunts CRO's because mine also hop over the border for marriages etc! That is the penalty for having ancestors living close to the borders of counties! And no nobody ever said Family History was an easy or cheap hobby. Thank your lucky stars it is only on two borders!! Mine actually border Beds and Rutland as well as Hunts with some of the Northants information in Hertfordshire!!

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 27-05-11, 09:04.

Comment

Working...
    X