Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Jones Hughes - Glamorganshire

Hi,

Can anyone connect to this family, or does anyone have any information about them?

Philip Jones Hughes was born in Waenfawr, Caernarfonshire, in 1888, son of David and Hannah Hughes. In 1910 he married Sarah Jane Evans (Narberth Registration District), but by 1911 the couple were living at 26 Perrot Street, Treharris, Glamorganshire.

A daughter, Doris May Hughes, was born later in 1911.

By 1932 the family appear to have moved to the Neath area as all subsequent events are registered in the Neath Registration District.

In 1932 Doris May Hughes married Edward Ceidrych Thomas (known as Ceidrych or Cei).

Ceidrych died early in 1964, aged 56, and Doris May died in late 1981.

Philip Jones Hughes possibly died between April and June 1956, and Sarah Jane between January and March 1961.

The following is only supposition, but Philip and Sarah possibly had another daughter, Mary, who may have been born in 1912. Mary could have married a man called Will (no surname known), and had three children: Rosalind, Gron, and Arthur.

I am hoping to get firm dates of death and addresses for Doris May and Ceidrych next week, but in the meantime does anybody know, or are related, to this family? Is there anybody who could search for obituaries for Philip, Sarah, Doris, and Ceidrych?

Many thanks,

Keith.

Hi Keith,
    You can check dates of birth and death for events in Scotland on the official website www.scotlandspople.gov.uk. Have you tried that?
    Margaret

Oops! got my counties confused and was thinking of Scotland - ignore me I'm having a senior moment!!
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 27-02-11, 13:23.

Comment

Is it likely that any of these events would show up in the Times Digital Archive? There are Welsh papers in the C19th British Library Collection - but they'd probably be too early for you, as far as I can see.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you both.

There's nothing in the Times at all, and to be honest the family appears to have been too ordinary for the paper. The 19th Century collection is, as you say, too early.

The only other thing I've been able to find out is that according to the London Gazette an Edward Ceidrych Thomas was appointed a Serving Brother in the Order of St. Johns in July 1955. I've not been able to find reference to any other person of the same name so it must be him.

I'll have to pop up to the Probate Sub-Registry tomorrow to see if I can find any definite dates and addresses for the family.

Comment

Working...
        X