Help with marriage and census please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with marriage and census please?

I have to go and serve the dinner in a second, so maybe I should have waited to post this. I shall be back at 7.30 though, when the football starts ;)

Sorry, but I can’t think of any way to make this brief.

I have posted 2 photos on the ancestral photo thread. Opinion seems to be that it is early 1900's. The 2 photographs show my mothers Aunt Florrie and uncle John. After much research, I can’t think it can be anyone other than John Henry Morley, my grandfathers brother who was born in Nottingham in late 1870, and his wife Florrie/Florence? I would love to trace some descendants as I’m sure they would like a copy of the photos but that’s where I come unstuck.

In 1871 John Henry is 6 months old. The last sighting of him that I can be sure of is with his father and siblings in 1891. His father is a widower and gives John’s age as 17, but as he was 10 in 1881 I think this is just a case of fathers not being sure how old their children were.

In 1901 the only John that seems to fit is a widower, but it says born Woodborough and he was actually born in Beeston. Also, the only marriage before that would be in 1892 to an Elizabeth or an Ann and there is no death for either between 1895, when a child was born and 1901.
    The only marriage of a John Henry Morley to a Florence (or similar) is in 1904, but, doing a free search, I can’t find a John in Notts of the right age in 1911 with a Florence there too.

I don’t suppose there is anywhere I can check marriages in Nottingham in 1904 is there, as I can’t afford to risk the money of a marriage cert on the off chance it’s him. I would know straight away if it was though as his fathers name was Levi, so not particularly common.

Am I missing something here? I could do with opinions please.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

What's the name of the child born to this couple?
    Margaret

Comment

It's this one Margaret - his name is William Morley aged 8. The father is just John.
      Not convinced it's mine though.

Comment

Could this be your John Henry in 1901 RG13; Piece: 4354; Folio: 116; Page: 39. His year of birth is wrong but the wife is Florence.
        Margaret

Comment

In your 1901 reference there is an aunt Hannah Paulson do you have her at all?
          Margaret

Comment

I know that this isnt your John, but I had to post this.... 1901

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=john+&gsln=mor***&msbdy=1870&msbpn__ftp=Not tinghamshire%2c+England&msbpn=5279&msbpn_PInfo=7-|1652381|3257|3251|5279|&msfng0=levi&cpxt=1&catBuc ket=rstp&uidh=lg3&=b%2cy%2cf&msbdp=2&cp=11&pcat=RO OT_CATEGORY&h=18628510&db=uki1901&indiv=1

Joseph Asher 49
            Elizabeth Asher 47
            Robert Asher 13
            Ernest Asher 11
            Clara Morley 26
            John Morley 29
            John Morley 3
            Rose Asher 18
            John Brooks 27
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Will go and have a look at that one in 1901 Margaret - thank you

No, I had a quick look but I couldn't find Levi senior with a sister Hannah, or a Hannah Morley marrying a Paulson.

Will have a look at that one too Julie

Thank you both

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                Could this be your John Henry in 1901 RG13; Piece: 4354; Folio: 116; Page: 39. His year of birth is wrong but the wife is Florence.
                Margaret
                this is the link

Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie, I had just found it

If it's them, I think they must have come back to Nottingham after 1911. I can't find a John that fits with a Florence in Nottingham in 1911. MInd you, tjat's just doing a free search.

Comment

I had spotted that one with the Ashers as the most likely Julie. The problem is that I couldn't find a death for Clara.

Wouldn't it be funny if that was him and the Ashers were Grey's lot :D

Comment

Have done another free search on 1911 and the only John or John Henry with a Florence seems to be that one Margaret found in 1901, stiill no children. They are living in Ecclesall Bierlow. I suppose they could have moved back to Nottingham shortly afterwards

I think she was a Florence Bagshaw by the way - not that it helps much lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        I had spotted that one with the Ashers as the most likely Julie. The problem is that I couldn't find a death for Clara.Wouldn't it be funny if that was him and the Ashers were Grey's lot :D
                        YEP! it would be so funny wouldnt it? am having a bit of a look but not finding anything obvious at the moment..
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-02-11, 20:41.
                        Julie

Comment

That one married to Clara Asher was named John Norton Morley. So that's one to cross off.

Comment

poo...
                            Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie I'm beginning to think this might be one to leave for now. I don't know why but I have a feeling they may not have had children. If they didn't there wouldn't be anyone to pass the photos too. Oh, that's not strictly true. If I could fathom out which Florence she was her relatives might like them.

Comment

oooh just a thought, would the marriage be on Yorksbmd? site
                                Julie

Comment

Oh, good thinking JUlie - off to check

Ahhhhhhh it won't give the grooms fathers name though will it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    Oh, good thinking JUlie - off to check

Ahhhhhhh it won't give the grooms fathers name though will it?
                                    no but if it were a church then maybe some kind person might be able to look it up in the pr's for you :smilee:
                                    Julie

Comment

No, it isn't there. Good idea though.

Comment

Working...
                                      X