Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Quinlan O'Brien

Please could I have some help.
    My grandfather's sister married Thomas Quinlan O'Brien in London on 5/8/1899. Thomas is down as having been born in Kingston, Canada with a father of the same name. They had three children Mary Quinlan OB'rien born before the marrige in April 1899, Edmund Patrick born in 1901 and Nora who was born and died in 1902.

I can see a Thomas O'Brien in Portsmouth he is Irish but his wife Emma comes from Newfoundland - could this be Dad?

And I can't find a death for Mary although she is not on the 1901 census in Portsmouth with her parents. I can't see Edmund again either!!

Di

Do the occupations match of the two Thomas O'Brien records you have? If so then maybe it's a possibility.
    Can you see them on the 1911?
    Margaret

Comment

Have a look at this - might help fill in some info re Thomas Snr and Emma

Quinlan: My GGF Thomas Quinlan O'Brien married Emma Shepher... Read more on Genealogy.com!

Cheers
      Sue

Comment

Wow, that is brilliant, thank you so much.

Might explain why he was Quinlan O'Brien - gentleman on the marriage document and O'Brien - messenger on the 1901 census. Unfortunately don't have access to 1911 census.

Many thanks again.

Di

Comment

In 1901 (RG13/980 fo 154 p 33), Thomas is described as a clerk accountant at the dockyard. Edmund is 3 & 1/2 months old. Wife, Ada, b in Gosport.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, can also see births for two other children but no deaths.

Di

Comment

They aren't conspicuous in the 1911.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's odd isn't it as Thomas the elder died in 1912 and Emma in 1937 both in England. Even Thomas the younger and Ada come to a dead end!

Di

Comment

In Ada's case it is true, she died in 1902 along with daughter Nora.

Di

Comment

Could this be the death of Thomas junior -

Jun 1939
                    O'Brien Thomas Q 72 Wandsworth 1d 440

I wonder if this family was related - Stockwell and the Wandsworth reg district are virtually next door (I think)

Name: O'BRIEN, PETER QUINLAN
                    Initials: P Q
                    Nationality: United Kingdom
                    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
                    Unit Text: 413 (R.C.A.F.) Sqdn.
                    Date of Death: 23/08/1941
                    Service No: 575990
                    Additional information: Son of Maj. James Quinlan O'Brien and Ethel Julia O'Brien, of Stockwell, London.
                    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
                    Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. H. Class 1. Grave 159.
                    Cemetery: STRANRAER (GLEBE) CEMETERY

Cheers
                    Sue

Comment

Thank you so much, James was the son of Thomas senior and Emma. He married Ethel Neill. Have found his descendants in Canada after the earlier post about Genealogy.com.

Now it's just Edmund to find. I just feel he died very young like the other children.

Di

Comment

Am advised that afterAda died, Thomas remarried a French woman called Emilienne Eastell. I can see her dying in Surrey in 1960, but no sight of her and Thomas's marriage.

Di

Comment

maybe they married in france? have you tried the overseas marriages?

Comment

Have found them in the passenger lists!! Result.

Di

Comment

Wow - Morocco - quite exotic!!

Cheers
                              Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X