This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
    Hi is this book available in print as well as we don't all have kindles ??? Thanks
    I wish it were borobabs, but it was turned down by mainstream publishers - although some very nice things were said about the book so I published it as an ebook and the response has so far been Amazing, perhaps proving that the publishers don't always get it right. Maybe they'll notice it someday :o)
    Genealogical Crime Writer. Author of Kindle bestseller, 'In the Blood (A genealogical crime mystery).

Comment

Originally posted by chrisj1961 View Post
      have just downloaded to my kindle thank you very much - looks interesting
      Thanks Chris. Do let me know what you think. There's also a forum on Goodreads called the UK Amazon Kindle group where my book has been book of the month this month. It ends tomorrow, but I will continue to be active as a member of that forum and I have an author Q&A thread among others about the book if you wanted to drop by.
      Genealogical Crime Writer. Author of Kindle bestseller, 'In the Blood (A genealogical crime mystery).

Comment

It's absolutely brilliant - haven't been able to put it down ! Have given it 5 stars Got any more ?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisj1961 View Post
          It's absolutely brilliant - haven't been able to put it down ! Have given it 5 stars Got any more ?
          Wow! That was quick, Chris. I guess you really couldn't put it down. So glad you enjoyed it. 5 Stars? Where did you review it. I'd love to see your comments. Amazon? I'm working on the sequel. It will be out in the Spring. If you email me at 'intheblood@ymail.com', I'll add you to the list of friends who would like to be notified when it's out. Also, have you checked out my website? There are some cut scenes and Images I think you'll like. Http://www.steve-robinson.me. I have a blog, too. :o

Comment

If anyone would like to read the first 10% of 'In the Blood (A genealogical crime mystery)', it's available here: http://www.steve-robinson.me/ITB_Sample.html

Comment

My public library recently bought this book for me (I thought they would just get it via inter-lib
              loans ):

ISLINGTON by Gavin Smith ISNB 978-0-7524-4960-9 Pub: 2009 The History Press. Part of Britain in Old Photographs series.
              £12.99. ppbk.

Blurb on back: 'Islington retains a distinct personality which dates back to the days when it was a village in the countryside visited by Londoners for leisure pursuits.

This fascinating collection of nearly 200 old photographs of the Borough takes a nostalgic look back at some of the changes of the last hundred years. We see the old shops, street markets and theatres, including the music halls, and some of the people who lived and worked in the area. Dramatic changes in public transport can be seen, from horse-drawn bus and tramcar to the arrival of the Underground and the motorbus.

This book includes early scenes of Holloway and Canonbury, Finsbury Park, the construction of the Highgate Archway and the new stand for Arsenal at Highbury in the 1930s.'

It is well produced and I can recommend to anyone with ancestors in that area. Includes pictures of Arsenal team players and Crippen. There are pics of individuals such as Nell Smith, ticket collector/booking clerk for Gt Northern & City Railway at Highbury and Finsbury Pk Stations in the 1920s.
              Liz

Comment

In the Blood (A genealogical crime mystery)

Hi is this book available in print as well as we don't all have kindles ??? Thanks
                It's taken a while to get In the Blood into print, but I'm pleased to say that it's now available as a 6x9 inch paperback from Amazon and other online bookstores and to order online via the ISBN.

Since I last posted it has received 68 customer reviews on Amazon.co.uk with a 4.8 out of 5 star average and has become one of Amazon UK's 'Best Books of 2011' in the customer favourites category. It's only just appeared on the UK site and currently shows out of stock, but you can pre-order it and stock should be available shortly.

Here's a link to the product page in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-geneal...A3TVV12T0I6NSM

And the Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Blood-genealog...bs_157313011_1

Best wishes,
                Steve.

Comment

See the Kindle thread too! http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...support/page10

Hope there will be more books like this, Steve!
                  Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, and thanks for posting the Kindle link. It's been very exciting getting a paperback out. I'm writing a series around genealogist, Jefferson Tayte and the sequel to In the Blood should be out by the end of Spring. I say 'should' be because, although I've written the historical scenes, I'm still plotting the present day narrative and it's difficult to say how long it will take to write and edit and publish. I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

Babs,

you could always download 'Kindle for PC' and download books to read on your PC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.h...cId=1000423913
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The History and Traditions of Islington
                        The History and Traditions of St Pancras
                        by Thomas Coull
                        Originally published in 1861, now republished by the British Lib. Available on Amazon.

Gives detailed history of places, stories and people in the area. Has been reprinted in the original format so resembles the print seen on old newspapers. Recommend for anyone with ancestors in those areas of London.
                        Liz

Comment

A History of Scotland by Neil Oliver. Based on BBC series of same name. Paperback with colour pictures.

Neil Oliver is a Scottish archaeologist, historian, writer and broadcaster. The History starts with the geological formation of Scotland through to the opening of the new Scottish Parliament in the 1990s.

Interesting, easy to read style of writing - makes history, geology, archaeology very accessible. Can highly recommend.
                          Liz

Comment

Thanks Julie I did that ,,,
                            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks for your two posts Liz. Added to the reference library
                              http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ws-non-fiction
                              Elaine

Comment

"The Story of Swanwick Hall"
                                Hello people!!
                                Does anyone in this big wide world have a copy that I could loan?? (or buy) I'll pay for postage both ways!! :D
                                I cant seem to get my hands on a copy for love or money, ok, well not that much money

Marty
                                http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/33803947/family
                                Last edited by Martin Wood; 09-03-12, 06:18. Reason: added my link :)

Comment

Sharpe's Rise - The Story of Sharpe's Pottery, Swadlincote

This book is about Sharpe's Pottery from its formation in 1821 and how it flourished for 147 years. It includes elements of local, national and social history. Some interesting information about the Sharpe family, what the pottery manufactured and workers contracts. It includes the names of many local people, their occupations and rates of pay for items made which will be of interest to people whose ancestors worked in the Derbyshire Pottery Industry.

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

From Tollgate to Tramshed - The History of London Road, Leicester c1860-1920 by Helen Boynton & Derek Seaton

This book covers London Road, Leicester from The Tollgate at Victoria Park outwards to the Leicester Corporation tramshed (near Oadby). It includes photographs and descriptions of many of the 'large' houses along London Road together with information about some of the affluent people who lived in them.
                                    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 10-07-13, 07:24.

Comment

The Slums of Leicester edited by Ned Newitt

This book is a complete contrast to From Tollgate to Tramshed. It includes photographs and descriptions of living conditions in Leicester streets that disappeared during the city's slum clearance programme between 1932-1972 when around 16,000 houses were demolished. This book also includes a range of Ordnance Survey maps of city areas as well as references from Tom Barclay's The Autobiography of a bottle-washer which give an insight into living and working conditions in Victorian Leicester.

Comment

Memoirs and Medleys - The Autobiography of a Bottle-Washer by Tom Barclay

Extracts from this book can be found in The Slums of Leicester edited by Ned Newitt. Tom Barclay (1852-1933) had a keen interest in the social life of the community and his book gives an insight into his life and observed events in the slums of Leicester where he lived.
                                        Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 11-07-13, 14:34.

Comment

The Pulleyns of Yorkshire by Catherine Pullein (1915) is a comprehensive study of the name Pulleyn and variations in Yorkshire. It is available to download at http://archive.org/stream/pulleynsof...0pull_djvu.txt it is out of copyright and produced by Internet Archive.

It covers all the families of that name and through marriages etc, mentions many other family names connected to it. I was able to get a good overview of my ancestors lives from it and it took me back an extra 150 years in my tree. Brilliant book and well written, easy to read.

Corinne

Comment

Working...
                                          X