Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another pair of eyes on the census please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pair of eyes on the census please!

Just trying to tie up some loose ends with my Bouverie family which is generally mistranscribed!

1861 - household
    Charles E C Bouveris 52
    Henrietta G Bouveris 37
    Emily M Bouveris 18
    Charles W Bouveris 15
    Alfred E Bouveris 11
    George H Bouveris 8
    Walter T Bouveris 5
    Herbert E Bouveris 4
    William A Bouveris 2
    Frederick C Bouveris 5 MO

RG9; Piece: 640; Folio: 124; Page: 18

Henrietta dies in 1865 and Charles dies in 1868.

I have found Herbert and William in 1871 in Portsea Workhouse but having trouble locating the rest of the children in 1871.

After 1871 I can follow all the children through until their deaths apart from George who I lose after 1861!

George Henry Bouverie born c1852 Portsea Hampshire marries Matilda Mills on 11th July 1872 at St. Mary's Portsea (source IGI).

I believe George dies on 29 December 1926 in Gillingham Kent (entry in the Probate Calendar on Ancestry)

I have no further information about Matilda.

Where is George between 1861 and 1926?
    Elaine

Not having any luck on the census but he may have gone to sea. There is a Register of Seamen's Services record on Documents Online at the TNA for a George H Bouverie. It does say that he was born in Middlesex so it may not be him but I can't find another George Bouverie that could match it

Jackie

Comment

I looked at that yesterday Jackie and dismissed because of London and the year of birth as Sept 1851.
      My George was registered in Portsea in Sept qtr 1852.

Decided to have a look as he may well have forgotten when and where he was born as he was orphaned as a teenager - have got a very disappointing two line document covering periods of service from 1 Jan 1873 - 11 March 1873, and 12 March 1873 to 4 May 1873.
      Elaine

Comment

That's a shame. It may well still be him - his year of birth on the FamilySearch pilot site for the marriage is given as 1851. Got to go out but I'll have another think later
        Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          I looked at that yesterday Jackie and dismissed because of London and the year of birth as Sept 1851.
          My George was registered in Portsea in Sept qtr 1852.

Decided to have a look as he may well have forgotten when and where he was born as he was orphaned as a teenager - have got a very disappointing two line document covering periods of service from 1 Jan 1873 - 11 March 1873, and 12 March 1873 to 4 May 1873.
          Elaine i,ve also had a look and can find nothing else.
          I agree with Jackie that the George H Bouverie in the seamens records could be yours.
          I had a look at the 1861 census and noticed that George's mother and 2 elder brothers were also born in London,Middlesex. There was also an error with Alfreds birthplace entry.The enumerator wrote Portsea,Hants first and then scribbled it out and put "ditto" marks referring to the above entry for London,Middlesex. You are probably right in thinking that he'd forgotten his place of birth due to him being orphaned early....it seems to make sense.

Comment

Thanks for looking Valley and Jackie.
            I am beginning to think that entry on TNA is him so all I need to find out now is where he was between 1873 and 1926! :D
            Elaine

Comment

I have some seamen's records where DoB and PoB isn't quite accurate - about which I can be confident because of other records I have.

e.g.:
              Edwin James CHRISTMAS:
              b 30 Aug 1877 Plewlands Ho, Queensferry [GROS]
              "b 3 May 1874 Queensferry" [Seaman 167652]

Christie Russell CHRISTMAS:
              b 30 Aug 1877 Plewlands Ho, Queensferry [GROS]
              "b 30 Aug 1879 Queensferry" [Seaman 344054]

noting they had a younger sister:
              Eiley May CHRISTMAS:
              b 5 May 1879 Plewlands Ho, Queensferry [GROS B-regr; D-reg]

I find this really bizarre - that twins should have given DoBs more than 5 years apart!

Then there was:
              Thomas (Waldren) CHRISTMAS:
              b 1841 Basingstoke [1881] 1841q2 Basingstoke 7-43
              b 28 Mar 1842, Basingstoke [Seaman 53246 ADM/188/27]
              bap 9 Jul 1841 Basingstoke s/o Eli & Ann, policeman; Basingstoke [C136542; PRp129#1025 n.c.]

So those records have to be regarded as advisory rather than definitive.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a George BOUVERIE, age 19, b Bloomsbury, here: RG10/1134 fo 91 p 0

They're recorded at Portsea Island on the Bellerophon (probably).

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh I wish I had taken more notice of a census this morning now. I was having a quick look before we went out and saw a possible George who was at sea (I think it was 1871 or 1881). I dismissed it because the place of birth was Middlesex. The year of birth was about 3 years out, but would have been worth a look in light of the recent posts. I will go and see if I can find him again.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    There's a George BOUVERIE, age 19, b Bloomsbury, here: RG10/1134 fo 91 p 0
                    Thanks Christine.
                    That's got to be him.
                    See what I am up against - transcribed on Ancestry as George Bonoeric!
                    Elaine

Comment

This is weird...

There's a George P BOUVERIE, aged 23, b St George's, Hanover Sq, here: RG11/96 fo 75 p 28
                      but he's a 2nd Lt in the Coldstream Guards, s/o Philip P BOUVERIE, IPMA Banker and Jane P BOUVERIE, also 59.

That one is 33 in 1891 and a Captain in the Coldstream Guards.
                      He shows as "son", along with Henry P, and Alice P, but no sign of parents?
                      and in 1901, he's moved away from Hanover square, to RG13/3015 fo p 10, and is a major. And still single.
                      In 1911, he's a retired colonel at RG14/19386 RG78/1155 RD409 SD1 ED14 SN1 -0 and the "P" stands for "Pleydell".

He has to be your red-herring, and surely can't be the same as the seaman?

Christine

Comment

That matches one of the vessels named on the National Archives document I downloaded.
                        Elaine

Comment

This is weird...

There's a George P BOUVERIE, aged 23, b St George's, Hanover Sq, here: RG11/96 fo 75 p 28
                          but he's a 2nd Lt in the Coldstream Guards, s/o Philip P BOUVERIE, IPMA Banker and Jane P BOUVERIE, also 59.

That one is 33 in 1891 and a Captain in the Coldstream Guards.
                          He shows as "son", along with Henry P, and Alice P, but no sign of parents?
                          and in 1901, he's moved away from Hanover square, to RG13/3015 fo p 10, and is a major. And still single.
                          In 1911, he's a retired colonel at RG14/19386 RG78/1155 RD409 SD1 ED14 SN1 -0 and the "P" stands for "Pleydell".

He has to be your red-herring, and surely can't be the same as the seaman?

Christine
                          As far as I know we have no connection to the Pleydell Bouverie family which seem to pop up all over the place when you start googling!
                          Elaine

Comment

We probably also need to be wary of mixing up this one, as well:

RG09/144 fo 125 p 62: George W BUFFERY, aged 6, b St Pancras.

1901 show that the W stands for William. And he marries a Susanna.
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-11-10, 14:03.

Comment

So do you think the George Henry Bouverie birth in Sept 1852 in Portsea 2b 343 isn't yours then Elaine? I'm a bit confused now - doesn't take much

Comment

I can't find that sailor again but looking at births I think he would have been the George Bouverie that was born in 1857 in Middlesex. So the wrong one anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  So do you think the George Henry Bouverie birth in Sept 1852 in Portsea 2b 343 isn't yours then Elaine? I'm a bit confused now - doesn't take much
                                  I am pretty sure he is mine - although I will probably have to get the BC to confirm it 100%!

I also think the the Seaman's Service record that I downloaded from TNA could also be him - even though he has given his year of birth as 1951 and place of birth as London. He was orphaned when he was about 13 or 14 and from what I can see there was no immediate family that would have cared for him, apart from older siblings who I am having trouble locating in 1871.

Presuming that the Seaman Service record is right, that matches with the 1871 census you found on board vessel Bellerophon.
                                  Elaine

Comment

George Henry's birth reg is 1852 q3 Portsea Island.

I can't see any useful online baptism info.

I don't have an Ancestry sub, but I can see a London baptism for a George Henry BOUVERIE - but it seems to be in 1894. I suppose it could be an adult baptism. The father's name is Charles William, though. He must be your George's nephew?

Christine
                                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-11-10, 14:28.

Comment

George Henry's birth reg is 1852 q3 Portsea Island.
                                      I can't see any useful online baptism info.
                                      I've only found one baptism and that is for his brother Herbert, at the age of 15.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Sent an email this morning to a fairly distant relation to ask if he knew anything about George Bouverie - just received his reply ...

Regarding George Henry Bouverie b. 1852 Portsea, the reason you probably havent found any record of him after 1871 is because he changed his family name to Bradford, my father told me that he was the black sheep of the family !
                                        That probably explains why we can't find him! :D

Off to search the Bradford name.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X