No announcement yet.

Where was Peace St, Bethnal Green ? ? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was Peace St, Bethnal Green ? ? ?

Hi all...just recieved this from a family member and for the life of me I can't find any reference to it, any help would be very grateful indeed.

My family member detailed this - born 15.08.1946 in a street that does not exist any more. In fact I think it was created for a purpose & then removed. Explanation. I was born at 13 Peace Street, Bethnal Green E2. The area had suffered huge damage through bombing raids by the German air force & there were no buildings left standing. The authorities created a few streets & put up what were called 'nissen huts'. They were the same in principal as the 'Anderson Air Raid Shelters' only bigger with all the usual facilities that a house would have. When my dad was demobbed the family was put in one of the huts & later moved out to one of the new estates.

So thats it, nothing on the internet no mention of it anywhere

Any help anyone to solve this one
    Tony

I've got a pre-war London A - Z and I've found Peace Street; if you PM me with your email address I'll send you a scan of it. (Please be aware that this map is printed in teeny-weeny writing and, although I'll magnify the image as much as I can, it might not be that clear!)
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Your relative is surely talking about prefabs?

OC

Comment

The LMA have photos of Peace Terrace (which is near Hemming St) If Sal's map puts that nearby you might be able to get a copy but the photos are not available online.
        Sue

Comment

No luck with Peace Terrace: it's not listed in the index of my A-Z and I can't see anything with that name in the streets arounding Peace Street.
          Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Interesting! The photos were taken 1957, maybe built to replace bombed out streets so wouldn't appear on a pre-war map.
            Sue

Comment

hi

Not sure if this is the same area as these are listed as E1 but this website has both Peace Street and Peace Terrace and shows you what they called prior to being changed but the website doesnt give a timeline as to when these changes took place either

just scroll down to the Peace Street in the first column to see what it replaced

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it gives you further pages to view so if you went to the first link it does give a bit of history as how this info came to be on the Internet
              Last edited by WendyP; 11-08-10, 18:33.
              WendyP

Comment

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but Peace Street was originally called Artillery Street so it may be worth looking into that as part of your research.

Comment

Originally posted by Wjt View Post
                  Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but Peace Street was originally called Artillery Street so it may be worth looking into that as part of your research.
                  Don't apologize, that's a very useful first post, welcome to the Forum

Comment

Thank you Jill. I came across it quite by accident. I have an interesting photograph of the street at the time of the name change. Is it possible to upload images?

Comment

After reading about Peace St on another site I did some digging and came across these photos which I hope you enjoy seeing. I think Artillery St had its name changed to Peace St after WW1 then changed back to Artillery St at a later date. Peace St is in the centre of the map​
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X