No announcement yet.

Robert Peel connection to Catlow family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much Mary, so Mary Peel may have been Sir Robert Peel's fathers sister?

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Ahhh so maybe the Catlow family may have just assumed that Sir Robert Peel was related to them because of the location? Although one of the sites states that Robert Peel wrote a letter to the Catlow's stateing that he was in the midst of researching his Catlow relations.

Danny

Comment

Hi

this looks to me like alot of copying from on tree to another, without researching things. Look here

Genealogy Royal Noble Peer Duke Count Lord Baron Baronet Sir Peer Database Family Tree Europe Nobility Knight Peerage Marquess Earl

cant find any related Marys, maybe the Robert who wrote the letter wasnt from the same family

mm

Comment

Thank you for looking Mary, I only started the search today to either prove or disprove the Catlow families claim. My ancestors are also Catlow's and was curious if there was any truth in what they say.

Danny

Comment

Do you have a link to the site that says about the letter???

mm

Comment

I was just thinking, maybe Mary was a cousin, she was in the right place at the right time,right church and all, she could have been living in with the Peels before she got married, but im not sure what relation she would have been to RP, if that is the case.

mm

Comment

I am trying to find it again, I just googled Peel/Catlow connection and it popped up on Ancestry boards. Will try and find it now.

Danny

Comment

I have found it, I googled Robert Peel Catlow and on page 2 it brought up Peel message boards and this is the message - Nancy, Your Sir Robert Peel Connection is Through Mary Smith I think he's a cousin or something. He is mentioned several times throughout the genealogy I have been given by the family. There are also several correspondences I Have copies of from Sir Robert peel himself documenting his efforts to research our line of the catlows.

Comment

Well that looks good enough, maybe she was a cousin. On the peerage site, they only documented the "Sirs" line, if one of the other siblings if the 1st baronet had a daughter mary, who married in Bury, then it could make sense. Though the only sure way would be to research the siblings of the 1st Baronet, and they would be in parish registers, because the only things on IGI are submitted from the Hoover family who are claiming the Peels.

mm

Comment

To be honest Im not a fan of the Hoover family research. They claim that one of their lot Harvey Hoover is the brother to Herbert Hoover the American president but that is easily disproved.

Danny

Comment

right im off to bed.... these things get out of proportion, one copies another, and on all the ancestry trees there is very little evidence of marriages and parish records, after a while these things live a life of their own.

the woman with the letter, is the only real proof, why dont you write her and ask to see the letter,

mm
                        Last edited by marymog; 15-07-10, 01:09.

Comment

Cheers for the help Mary.

Danny

Comment

its 3am, catch you tomorrow

mm

Comment

Hi

I just checked the 1st Baronets siblings, he had 2 brothers who could have had children in 1770, they both married but didnt have any Marys in 1770.

The story of Robert Peel(1stB) is he went into partnership with his uncle, (mothers brother)(Haworth)who had a company in Bury called Haworth and Yates. He boarded with the Yateses, they had a daughter Ellen, who was a child, story goes he waited for her to become of age then they got married.(big dowry) so he was married in his mid 30s to a very young Yates girl.(born 1866)they had 1st child in 1884 when she was 18

What if when he was in his 20s he misbehaved??? there you would have a Mary of the right age, and he would be concerned about her. If he was living with a young family waiting for the daughter to grow up, to marry her money, then maybe he did have himself a lady friend tucked away in a back street. That is the only possibilty of a Mary Peel being related to the 1st Baronet.

mm

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
                                Now my ancestors are the Catlow family from Colne Lancashire and it appears that this is the family in which he connects to.
                                Hi Danny, I can trace my family back to Jonathan Catlow of Colne (1777-1851) http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/...ex3.htm#CATLOW

Do you see a family connection?

Regards, Kris
                                http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk

Comment

Here is the golden nugget you have been chasing!

From the 'Bradford Observer' Thursday 04 May 1837 p8 (Death Notices):

"On the 20th ult., at Dewsbury, aged 68, Mary, relict of the late Mr. George Catlow, draper and grocer. She was niece to the late Hon. Mr Peel, and cousin to the present Sir Robert Peel." I found the Newspaper entry on FindMyPast.

George Catlow married Mary Peel in 1791.
                                  Mary is almost certainly the daughter of Joseph Peel the son of Robert Peel who died in 1795. Joseph's brother Robert (Mary's uncle) is the 1st Baronet. Robert's son (Mary's cousin) is the 2nd Baronet and later Prime Minister. Family relations are described in Burkes, of which Vol 2 of the 1828 Fourth Edition can be found of Google Books. Refer to p289 (300).

Wills exist for the three Robert's and the one of Robert who died in 1830 (the 1st Baronet) show the immense family wealth of the Peels. I downloaded these from the UK Archives.

The Wills mention the Grimshaw link which leads us researchers to

"Our" Joseph Peel is individual 41. There is his nephew Joseph shown as individual 58. These two have been sometimes confused by researchers as they died close together in 1820 and 1821 (not 1820 as shown on the web). I found death notices and burial records on FindMyPast, Assuming the research is correct on that website, it will take your Peel ancestry back many generations (to the 1400's) if you are descended from George.

I understand that letters exist between George's children. I would appreciate copies for the records of my family members. While I am not related, my sister married a Catlow descended from George's son John Peel? Catlow. There are multiple "Joseph Peel Catlows" in the lineage. Any other confirmation data around George Catlow, Mary Peel, Joseph Peel and George's children would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by pmackey View Post
                                    Here is the golden nugget you have been chasing!

George Catlow married Mary Peel in 1791.
                                    The marriage record (from the Lancashire online Parish Clerks is:

Marriage: 21 Feb 1791 St Mary the Virgin, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                    George Catlow - Callico Manufacturer, Parish of Blackburn
                                    Mary Peel - Spinster, this parish
                                    Witness: Robt. Peel; Geo. Sandeman
                                    Married by Licence by: Henry Unsworth Minr.
                                    Register: Marriages 1782 - 1792, Page 391, Entry 1313
                                    Source: LDS Film 559158

The witness Robert Peel could be her grandfather, but is more likely her uncle, who became 1st Baronet in 1900.

The LAN OPC also shows the marriage of Joseph Peel to Martha Fowler and his children, including Mary, baptised at Oswaldtwisle & Eccleshill.

The entry for Mary (consistent with the death notice) is:

Baptism: 1 Apr 1770 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
                                    Mary Peell - Daughter of Joseph Peell & Martha
                                    Abode: Eccleshill
                                    Register: Baptisms 1759 - 1772, Page 87, Entry 19
                                    Source: LDS Film 1278778

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
                                      Hello all

There has been people on Ancestry, Rootsweb and other sites trying to make the connection of Sir Robert Peel to the Catlow family. Now my ancestors are the Catlow family from Colne Lancashire and it appears that this is the family in which he connects to.
                                      I have come across this little bit of information whilst googling away
                                      "Harvey Hoover, the father of our subject, was born in 1833, and received his education in the schools of Union township, Centre county. In early manhood he engaged in lumbering, but for some years he has followed agricultural pursuits. He married Miss Mary Catlow, a grandniece of Sir Robert Peel"

and also this
                                      "Mr. Hoover's mother was a daughter of the late Richard Catlow, nephew of Sir Robert Peel"

If anybody can help locate the actual marriage or connection I would be very greatful;D

Danny
                                      Hi Danny, my step- dad was Michael John Catlow from Colne.....my half sister Donna is his natural daughter. I've just started her side of my family tree research, but i assume you may well be related. Would love to chat, Nic

Comment

Originally posted by pmackey View Post
                                        The marriage record (from the Lancashire online Parish Clerks is:

The witness Robert Peel could be her grandfather, but is more likely her uncle, who became 1st Baronet in 1900.
                                        Oops, I mistyped. It should, of course, be 1800.

Comment

My Catlow family in Darwen had two marriages to members of the Peel family in the late 1700's. Not as far east as Colne though. My mother was a Catlow, born in Darwen. One was of that generation was a Mary Peel who married a George Catlow and later moved to Yorkshire and at least one son went to USA and his family links to the Hoovers. Keith Perriman

Comment

Working...
                                          X