Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage on board ship

hi
    most of one of my lines seem to move to America one to San Franisco but I cant find her in any census. Where do I look to see if she got married on board shipor died please Thank you her name Winifred May Benbow DOB 1893 ship Celtic Arrival 1911

Laura

There is a podcast on the NA site...'Marriages at sea - fact or fiction?'

"In this talk Dr Christopher Watts examines the range of records, both at The National Archives and elsewhere, that help us trace such events."

Hope it helps.
    Chris
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

She was still single by the time the Celtic docked at New York on 23 September 1910. (The Ancestry transcription says 1911 but the image of the manifest clearly says 1910). And she hadn't died on the voyage. Her ultimate destination was San Francisco but this record only takes her to New York.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think I've found her death in the California death index.
        Winifred Mary Richey
        b. 28 Feb 1893 Other Country
        d. 12 Jan 1951 California
        Mother's name Farry; father's name Benbow

Comment

Found them in the California voters register in 1935
          778 Second Avenue, San Francisco County
          Thomas B Richey, chauffeur and Mrs Winifred Richey, housewife. Both voted Democrat.

The California voters register is a bit hit and miss - it isn't indexed very well.

Comment

Thanks your stars

Laura

Comment

At least you've got some names to work on now.

Comment

1920 US census
                Thomas Richey b 1895 Wisconsin, Virginia - occ motorman
                Winifred Richey b 1894 England

lodging with Margaret Phelan and family
                address st Precinct San Francisco 26th Assembly District, San Francisco, California

1920;Census Place: San Francisco Assembly District 26, San Francisco, California; Roll T625_135; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 102; Image: 162.
                Elaine

Comment

Motorman would translate to electric tram (trolley) driver, since there was no electric subway system in San Francisco. The drivers of the San Francisco cable cars are called gripmen.

Comment

Hi
                    I wonder if that margaert is my other one that moved there a few years before she she went to pensylvania mmmmmmmmm. Thomas drives a yellow taxi on one census mmmmmmmmm questions lol

Laura

Comment

ooohhhh I think it may be my margaret ann benbow winnifreds sister yah lol
                      all i have to do now is find her marriage

Laura

Comment

please help is there a record of marriages in pensylvania or masachussas for births there is daughter listed it might tell me margarets maiden name

laura

Comment

There are a couple of databases on the Family Search Record site. Click on Search or Browse our Record Collections - click on North America and then scroll down to the list for America - although I think they might be too early for what you are wanting.
                          Elaine

Comment

Hi
                            I can see a few benbows marriages listed but they do not show the first name and when you click on it it says image no longer available.Thanks for your help though

Laura

Comment

Thomas Beal Richey was my grand uncle (brother to my grandfather, Stephen O. Richey). Thomas Beal Richey was born in Luray, Virginia on February 8th, 1895. Their father was Samuel Jones Richey (my great grandfather) and his mother (my great grandmother) was Susan Butler Richey.

I have a letter from Thomas Beal Richey's second wife, Kathleen dated November 23rd, 1953. Kathleen was informing Mrs. Richey (assuming Susan Butler Richey) that Thomas had died of heart failure.

Winifred was born in England according to the 1940 census.

Winifred Richey accidentally fell and died in 1951 while hanging clothes outside a window. Thomas was in and out of the hospital after her death. Sounds like it really devastated him.

They are both buried in the Golden Gate National Cemetery along with one of their sons.

Regards,
                              Stephen O. Richey III

Comment

Working...
                              X