• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quandary she says Foreman he says Labourer

I am a bit puzzled ??

Elizabeth Taylor of full age marries 10 Jul 1864 to a Henry Benjamin Goozee
    she says father is George Taylor a Foreman in London Docks

Have found her from the 1871 census records says born abt 1841 Bethnal Green

Cannot confirm which is her family before that

Did find in 1851 a George Taylor who is a Dock Labourer in Wine with a daughter Elizabeth born abt 1840 Bethnal Green

also found in 1861 a James Taylor a Foreman in London Docks ???? but no Elizabeth unless of course she had left home by then ????

In 1851 James is a labourer in The London Docks

Which would you think is the right one ??? if any
    thanks

George could have risen to the position of foreman in the 13 years between 1851 and 1864, so not difficult to explain. Have you looked for him in 1861?

I don't really see where James comes into the picture.

Comment

Thanks in 1861 he is a Warehouseman ??? the reason I mentioned James is because he is a Foreman in the London docks

Comment

These occupations can be a puzzle
        My great-grandfather was an Ag Lab on all census, on his marriage certificate and on his children's birth certificates; however, he was described as an engine driver / engineer on marriage certificates of two of his children! Maybe they wanted him to be more upmarket!
        Joy

Comment

Dock labourer on 1851, warehouseman in 1861 (plenty of warehouses in dockland where men would have laboured) and promoted to foreman in the docks (so in charge of other labourers) by 1864 seems a reasonable career path for the time. Have you looked for him in the 1871 census?
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

hi Joy what I dont understand is why would a Weaver be a sometimes Labourer?

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
              These occupations can be a puzzle
              My great-grandfather was an Ag Lab on all census, on his marriage certificate and on his children's birth certificates; however, he was described as an engine driver / engineer on marriage certificates of two of his children! Maybe they wanted him to be more upmarket!
              I've seen 'Agricultural Engine Driver' as an occupation on census. He would most likely have driven a steam tractor or operated a threshing machine, something like that.

Comment

My 2 x GGF was a "railway engine driver" on the marriage cert of his son.

Was he thump, he was an engine driver in a cotton factory.

My grandmother was the daughter of "a master jeweller" according to her marriage cert. Hahahah, her father was a Pawnbroker's shopman!

Big it up for the wedding and impress the in-laws.

And a weaver would sometimes be a labourer because there was no weaving to be done.

OC

Comment

thanks for that OC I am so afraid to add the wrong family

Comment

You have this family in 1861 in whitechapel, all the children married in St John of Jerusalem, (have put details in brackets)

George Taylor 40 (1861 census wine porter)
                    Elizabeth Taylor 21 (witness Sarah Taylor, father George ,foreman in the London docks M 1864)
                    John Taylor 17 (witness G.H. Goodwin,Mary Ann Taylor, father George Lewis Taylor, dock foreman M 1868)
                    Sarah Taylor 13 (married Geo.Hy. Goodwin) witness George Taylor, Mary Ann Taylor, father George Lewis Taylor, foreman in the London docks M 1865)
                    Mary Taylor 10 ( witnesses GH Goodwin, Jane Taylor, father George Lewis Taylor, wine porter M 1880)
                    Thomas Taylor 13 (witnesses John Taylor, Jane Taylor, father George Taylor , wine porter, M 1872)
                    Jane Taylor 6 (Witness GH Goodwin, father George Lewis Taylor deceased, Dock Clerk M 1882)

in 1871 they are living in Bethnal Green, George a Dock Labourer

George Taylor 56
                    Thomas Taylor 22
                    Mary Taylor 20
                    Jane Taylor 16
                    Ann Taylor 60

mm

Comment

Mary you have been busy I hadn't got as far as checking their marriages yet but looks like it is the right family , thanks very much

Comment

You are welcome Val....good luck

mary

Comment

My milk carrier gt grandfather was bigged up as a "provisions merchant" on his son's marriage cert, but as gt grandpa was dead he wasn't going to point that out!

I'm more puzzled by husband's gt x 2 grandmother. She says on her marriage cert that her father was a "waiter" - not a man working in a restaurant, but someone who waited for cargoes and decided if/how much excise duty was owed. Except that every other source - son's marriage cert, census entries etc, says he was a master carpenter!
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

wonder if they were talking about the same man ?? sometimes dont you

Comment

I'm more puzzled by husband's gt x 2 grandmother. She says on her marriage cert that her father was a "waiter" - not a man working in a restaurant, but someone who waited for cargoes and decided if/how much excise duty was owed. Except that every other source - son's marriage cert, census entries etc, says he was a master carpenter!

I posted this some time ago and now have rectified my mistake. I was going on her (elizabeth Carter nee Goodwin) being in 1881 with a lodger, Charles Goodwin, both having birthplace "Long Acre". I had used Charlesto trace family back, though I had not found a baptism for Elizabeth. My mistake, pointed out online was that it said "lodger" not "brother". She also had a son called Charles so I am sure this chap must be a family relative, but not a sibling.

Eventually I found her baptism, with her father named as John Goodwin, wine waiter (which tallies with the marriage cert) while I was looking for another family. The Goodwin abode was given as Monmouth Street, which is just off Long Acre. Frustratingly, though, the real Goodwins have been much harder to trace than the wrong ones!

Comment

Just shows how important it is that we keep on pecking away at things, rather than just accepting the first possibility we come across.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

gawd Nell was this really 5 years ago ? glad you got sorted .

Comment

Me too and it was pure chance I fell upon her baptism. While I was glad I'd got the right one, I still can't work out how/if Charles Goodwin is connected to her, nor find her true brothers apart from their baptisms. Still, keeps me out of mischief, I suppose!

Comment

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        My 2 x GGF was a "railway engine driver" on the marriage cert of his son.

Was he thump, he was an engine driver in a cotton factory.

My grandmother was the daughter of "a master jeweller" according to her marriage cert. Hahahah, her father was a Pawnbroker's shopman!

Big it up for the wedding and impress the in-laws.

And a weaver would sometimes be a labourer because there was no weaving to be done.

OC
                                        I have a bride's father who was a "farmer" on the wedding cert - but an "ag lab" in the census. In the same cert she has shed about 7 years according to normal reckoning off her age - and she's still significantly older than her rather young husband.

When her daughter got married, her "station-master" father is allegedly deceased, even though he didn't die for another 14 months - and was never (as far as I can tell) employed in such an exalted post.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X