Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Seems our Cohen thread is turning into a Myers thread so we're starting a new Cohen thread only. Hope everyone will visit and provoke thoughts, ideas and info. with thanks, Wendi

Wendi, it might be a good idea if you could post what you know about the Cohens on this thread. It will save people having to refer back to the Myers thread.
    Elaine

Comment

Didn't think of that. Thanks Elaine!

Comment

"Fannie Myers Cohen (d) married Sam (Samuel Cohen d. 1933 or 9???...buried in Toronto)
        Sam's Parents were Morris (Morrice) Cohen (b. 1853) and Sarah Rebecca (Erenberg....?berg...b. 1851)"

I think the surname is EISENBERG.....

Comment

I've looked at that last name a thousand times, trying to figure it out. Are you sure about Eisenberg? I see Erenberg...the first part has been scratched out. What do you say?

Comment

Hi - from what W showed me, I read it as Eisenberg...but..I might be wrong.
            If you can put the link here, ask others what they think as well.....

Also, Elaine, if you're reading this..could you poss change Wendi's 1st topic header to Calling all Myer's (Cohen) ....
            then people will know easily which topic to post to.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
              Also, Elaine, if you're reading this..could you poss change Wendi's 1st topic header to Calling all Myer's (Cohen) ....
              then people will know easily which topic to post to.
              Done.
              Elaine

Comment

oops. thanks Elaine and Naomiatt. I'm new at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Done.
                  Thanks Elaine. Also, can you please direct us as to how to put an attachment on here?

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                    Thanks Elaine. Also, can you please direct us as to how to put an attachment on here?
                    You need to go to Go Advanced, next to Post Quick Reply and click on the paperclip.
                    Click on Add Files and then browse to where you have your file. If it is a picture then it is best to put it on Photobucket or similar, in which case you click on the link that says Website and c/p the URL.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                      You need to go to Go Advanced, next to Post Quick Reply and click on the paperclip.
                      Click on Add Files and then browse to where you have your file. If it is a picture then it is best to put it on Photobucket or similar, in which case you click on the link that says Website and c/p the URL.
                      Thanks Caroline - Wendi - hopefully it will work!
                      Last edited by naomiatt; 25-03-10, 05:51.

Comment

Wendi - you mentioned that Samuel (Sam) Cohen (died 1936 or 9) and
                        had numerous brothers and maybe a sister (no names known).
                        There could be a chance that his death was mentioned in the Jewish Chronicle - this would have also alerted friends and family to the news. Many notices said Canadian papers please copy for example or Canada is specifically stated.
                        Is there any way you can find out exactly when he passed away? - or find out if any family in Canada were in contact with their English counterparts. As you can imagine, there will be heaps of Cohen's in the JC...so it would be easier if we could whittle it down.
                        Likewise, have you checked obituaries in Canada? Were they always in Toronto?
                        JC is http://www.thejc.com/ Archives to the top right of the page. To read fully, you have to subscribe to the JC...but you can often make sense of info.

Comment

So here's the Cohen Family info. of which I have little.
                          Sam Cohen (d, 1939) Married Fannie Myers (d. 1961)
                          Sam had 9 brothers (disappeared)
                          Sam was from Leeds
                          His parents were possibly Morris and Sarah Cohen (still ??? about that)
                          Morris was born in 1853 and Sarah was born in 1851 (both deceased)
                          Sam's parents I believe were from Russia
                          Sam and Fanny Myers Cohen had 5 children
                          Max (d. 1951) Bernie (d. 2008) B. M. and Saul (d. 2007)
                          There are more children from that family, but all are alive and known.

Comment

Thanks....I'll give it a shot. Who knew of all these things? Not moi. I will ask my aunt when he passed away. I have checked obits in Toronto and have visited a few cemetaries. I haven't found Sam yet. I have found Fannie and my father and go each year before the yomtovim. If I'm a little slow on my "to do" list please hang in....lots going on here. thanks muchly.
                            w.

Comment

I'll give it a go myself....but don't hold your breath. w.

Comment

Well I checked it out and subscription rates are a little nuts for a one time viewer. So I took a pass. What I also did was order my first MC from the GRO today. I felt empowered. After 20 tries and a call to VISA, it actually worked. Arriving sometime after April 1. Let's see if I get anywere with Seccundy/Myers marriage in 1891, which might point me in a direction I'd never considered before. OHE still baffles me.
                                w.

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                                  Well I checked it out and subscription rates are a little nuts for a one time viewer. So I took a pass. What I also did was order my first MC from the GRO today. I felt empowered. After 20 tries and a call to VISA, it actually worked. Arriving sometime after April 1. Let's see if I get anywere with Seccundy/Myers marriage in 1891, which might point me in a direction I'd never considered before. OHE still baffles me.
                                  w.

Get as many certs as you can while the price is only £7 sterling. It goes up to over £9 sometime in April.

W
                                  We should never forget them,
                                  Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                  We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                  Because we all have them…
                                  Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Thanks Wallaby. I'll make my "to do" list tomorrow. Who knew that either? I didn't see it on the site.

Comment

"I have found Fannie" - I know there's a lot going on - but, do you recall if there is any Hebrew on the stone(s)?
                                      Also, the cemetery might have a website where you can search as well...do you have the name?
                                      In theory, if they remained married, Fannie and Sam might be in the same plot??

Comment

From what I recall, there is Hebrew on the stone. I think the name of cemetary is Dawes or Lambton Road. I just know how to get there...I forget the exact name. They did remain married, Sam passed away at a young age (still uncertain of death year and date). OMG....how could they be in the SAME PLOT. Isn't that sacriligious?

Comment

Working...
                                        X