Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just heard from a man who has CANTOR/KANTOR in SA and Australia. Have forwarded the e mail to you Wendi.

Comment

• Thanks again. Spent 2 hours last night delving into Cohens in Leeds and from the websites you sent me in Australia and not a ringing clear bell anywhere.
      Reason why is the lack of info. on my part. I would need to see clearly that one of the brothers who had passed way had parents named Morrice and Sarah Rebekah .....berg from Leeds. Otherwise no clear match. It could be a CANTOR that had those parents as well. From a very rank amateur, that's what I think.

Comment

• Read the article and found it fascinating. As you already know I have no way of connecting to O K Bazaars and those Cohen/Friedmans until I know for certain who their parents were and have them verified. Of course, anything is possible.....the time frame is good....BUT WHO WERE THEIR PARENTS? From the write-up, it appeared they left Russia during the pogroms and went to Jo'burg. Our Sam (the youngest of the brothers) claimed he was from Russia...perhaps he was born there???? That's still a very broad connection. I know....find out more about our Sam and then we can move forward.
        Another rainy day in the city....thunderstorms. UGH!

Comment

• Yesterday, I found a Sam Cohen traveling from Liverpool to New York. His last permanent address was Johannesburg. Contact person was a A. Cohen living in Cape Town.

Date of travel was May 6 1910.
          Sam is 29, single and a tailor and going onto Hamilton, Canada.
          Karen

Comment

• Greetings Naomi...Sam Cohen from S.Africa is not my father...Sam Cohen my father never travelled to SAfrica...Since I do not know the dates off-hand, I do know my Sam, born in a place in Russia, I think it was Minsck or Pinsck. His mother & father then left Russia because of a progrom, to Leeds,England... They were always tailors...Thanks so much for your efforts...It means a lot to W. & me..The family from Australia. Phillip, Kate, Leah sound like an interesting lead...There is another Sam Cohen there too...Who is he??Their parents name puzzles me, Eisenberg.?.My Father Sam`s parents were, as you stated Cohen=B. Erenburg.. Also want to mention, my father Sam Cohen died when I was 13.. that was in 1936...bsc..

Comment

• Karen....Was anyone travelling with this Sam Cohen? Our Sam Cohen was in Montreal, Canada in 1914 where he married my grandmother Fanny Myers. Fanny was 20 when she married Sam and I believe him to be not that much older. Hamilton is a short distance from Toronto. Any more info. on that document??? Fascinating.

Comment

• Wendi, the Sam Cohen from S. Africa, is a something dealer and his father's name is Solomon.

So he is ruled out. Also from what bsc mentioned.
                Karen

Comment

• Oh nuts....just when I thought you were getting close, KarenS. Our Sam's father's name was Morrice. And as bsc mentioned...we appreciate your efforts VERY much.

Comment

• Originally posted by bscierra View Post
                    Greetings Naomi...Sam Cohen from S.Africa is not my father...Sam Cohen my father never travelled to SAfrica...Since I do not know the dates off-hand, I do know my Sam, born in a place in Russia, I think it was Minsck or Pinsck. His mother & father then left Russia because of a progrom, to Leeds,England... They were always tailors...Thanks so much for your efforts...It means a lot to W. & me..The family from Australia. Phillip, Kate, Leah sound like an interesting lead...There is another Sam Cohen there too...Who is he??Their parents name puzzles me, Eisenberg.?.My Father Sam`s parents were, as you stated Cohen=B. Erenburg.. Also want to mention, my father Sam Cohen died when I was 13.. that was in 1936...bsc..
                    Hi bsc. Few things - I have family from Minsk - that's Belarus now - their names were Rubinstein. Pinsk is also Belarus.

You also mentioned that Sam's parents, Morrice and Sarah Rebecca E, also came to Leeds...I don't think we've looked for them specifically in the UK.
                    It helps to know that Sam passed away around 1923.
                    With the Cohen's in Australia...once we can obtain a little more info on Sam, it will help further. At the moment, it's hoping that a burial springs out with a father called Morris or derivatives. I'll have a look for the Sam Cohen that you mentioned.

Comment

• Originally Posted by bscierra
                      About the name on the Cohen`s marriage certificate...I see that my mother`s maiden name was Harras not Harris...I always thought it was Harris...As for her mother-in-law`s last name...My magnifying glass tells me it could be Erenberg, not Eisenberg...If it was the latter, I do not see a dot above the e...Look again...compare it to other e`s and i`s.... If you shuffle the letters aroung Erenberg also can be Greenberg...you cannot shuffle around the Eisenberg spelling..Just a thought!!!!..bsc

Hi bsc - funnily enough, there was a Sarah HARRAS in Leeds - but not the same one - this marriage is from 1840 -
                      HARRAS Sarah BEEVERS Thomas St Mark, Woodhouse Leeds.
                      There is an Ehrenberg surname...see what you mean about Greenberg...I have them, in the US.
                      I'll put this info on the Cohen topic as well.

Comment

• Wendi - Can you do me a favour - I went to look at the marriage info for Sam and Fanny, but the link has expired..can you send it to me again. Thanks. Would like to have another look at the E surname.
                        Also, have you ever looked for Sam, Sarah Rebecca and Morris in Leeds on census info?

Comment

• Hi - thanks for sending through. I've sent it to a few others as well. One person said ROSENBERG crossed out to E??????......

Comment

• Have looked for Sam, Sarah Rebecca and Morris in Leeds and just nothing jumping out.
                            Karen

Comment

• Hi Karen - It's odd about Sam. Wonder if it was an arranged marriage? Even without his parents, or any siblings, can you see any Sam or Samuel Cohen's in Leeds that might fit the bill. I know that must be a big ask. I'm assuming he was of a similar age to Fanny. Perhaps he boarded with another family or with some of his brothers, presuming they also came to Leeds. There is a good chance that the brothers went directly to another country from their place of origin. I thought he might turn up living with someone connected to the Harris's.....but doesn't seem to be the case as yet...
                              Last edited by naomiatt; 10-04-10, 04:08.

Comment

• ..and I heard from another person and she also said the first surname was ROSENBERG....she's going to get back to me a bit later re; the 'new' name.

Comment

• Hello,

I'm not seeing anything at the moment for Sam. There are a few Sam's with Father Morris, but everything else is wrong, regarding occupation, age or sibling order.

I think I have nearly looked at every Sam Cohen and Lewis Myers crossing over to Canada/US! They are there somewhere.

Couldn't see anything on Edith Myers/Hirsch either.
                                  Karen

Comment

• Wendi and bsc - Do you think that Sam was definitely in Leeds? I'm now wondering if he perhaps went direct to the US or elsewhere, and then somehow got in to Canada.
                                    I wonder if Samuel was his middle name or if Sam was an Anglicised version of a totally different first name...
                                    Last edited by naomiatt; 10-04-10, 06:39.

Comment

• Heard from another person - and they said EHRENBERG - these are from LeedsBMD...there is one with that spelling but much later on..

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1878
                                      Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
                                      ARENBERG Fanny SAMUEL Jacob Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/A/30
                                      ARENBERG Samuel FRITZ Maria Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/A/36

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1882
                                      Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
                                      ARRENBERG * Etty ROUSE Moris Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/A/115

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1886
                                      ARENBERG * Rebecca RACAZIN Charles Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/B/24
                                      ARENBERG * Rebecca RACUZIN Charles Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/B/24

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1887
                                      ARINBERG Israel S ALPERT Sarah A Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/B/59

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1889
                                      ARONBERG Leah WOOLMAN Harris Leeds Registered Building Leeds RB/97/184

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1896
                                      HARENBERG Sophia DUNSKY Sam Old Central Hebrew Synagogue Victoria Road Leeds SYN4/A/74

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1899
                                      HARENBERG Rebecca FINBERG Charles New Synagogue, Chapletown Road (formerly New Briggate Synagogue) Leeds SYN2/D/14

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1910
                                      IRENBERG Rachel GOLDBERG Jack New Synagogue, Chapletown Road (formerly New Briggate Synagogue) Leeds SYN2/H/93

There are lots with the exact spelling on FreeBMD - too many to list - but mainly in the East End of London
                                      except for a very early one, Marriages Mar 1842 EHRENBERG Moses Dudley 18 255 http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
                                      Last edited by naomiatt; 10-04-10, 07:30.

Comment

• I will direct BSC toward the site today and see what she thinks about Sam being in Leeds. We can confirm he had a British accent. We can confirm he came over with Fanny's father to Lewis Myers to Montreal. We can confirm he had brothers that he did not remain in contact with. As far as we know he had no sisters. It was not an arranged marriage as far as we know. He "may" have gone to the US first and then crossed the border to Canada with Louis. I also looked for Edith Myers Hirsch marriage and found nothing, but haven't given up there. There must be a death notice for Martha Roslyn; their daughter who died of meningitis shortly before marriage. Regarding Sam; he did write down on his marriage cert. "native of Russia"....what could that mean? a) He was from London or elsewhere in Britain b) he came from Russia on his own and was a boarder in someone's home b)he knew someone or lived with someone who knew Fanny d) he had another first name and changed his name to Sam.
                                        Other than that, I'm equally stumped. Nothing in Post #138 is jumping out....zero! I can only turn it over to BSCIERRA at this point.

Comment

• WendiR...What I do remember is that my Mother, Fanny Cohen, told in her bed-time stories to Martha & I that they were school sweethearts...Also she was engaged to Sam in Liverpool...They planned their marriage to be in Canada, when they finished schooling...Sam & Lewis her father travelled to Canada . They were employed tailors in Montreal...When they were able to buy passage for the family to come over to Canada.. Fanny & Beatrice were the first to arrive in June, and later that year the remaing family to arrived in Sept.. It could be that Sam & Lewis came through the U.S.A. and then up to Montreal...I do know that my Dad, Sam was enthralled with the U.S.A. it could have been New York...Lewis had a hard time convincing him to continue with him to Montreal...Sam Cohen I believe was an infant, from Russia, when they made their home in Liverpool...I do not think Sam`s family came to Canada...On that marriage certificate, they are just named as his parents...Hope this clears up any confusion..bsc

Comment

Working...
                                          X