Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No....I do not have a civil marriage cert for Sam and Fanny? Is there anywhere I can look for that? Is it possible they only got a certificate from Beth David and not a civil marriage cert? Doesn't sound right.

Comment

Karen....is there any info. on Sam Cohen's death on both of those dates. He died of a cardiac infarction....

Comment

Hello, no more info than the dates are given.

Both deaths are under JewishGen online burials. So don't know if that would have any more information
        Karen

Comment

I will see what I can find on Sam's death on JewishGen If I do, I'll post it. thanks so much.

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
            No....I do not have a civil marriage cert for Sam and Fanny? Is there anywhere I can look for that? Is it possible they only got a certificate from Beth David and not a civil marriage cert? Doesn't sound right.
            I read that "Records in Quebec have always been recorded and kept as Catholic or non-Catholic. There was no civil registration as there was in other provinces". I'm not sure if that still applies??

According to this site - these records are available -

Note that all ANQ regional offices hold microfilm copies of all pre-1900 Quebec parish registers.

Montreal

Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
            Census: Quebec
            Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec, Montreal Office
            Census: all Canada
            Passenger Lists: all ports, 1865-1921
            Border Entry Lists: all ports, 1908-1918
            Lower Canada Land Petitions
            Almost all Quebec parish registers up to 1940
            Many Nova Scotia, Acadian and American BMD records
            Ontario BMD indexes and some Ontario church records
            U.S. border entry records (St. Albans lists) soundex index, 1895-1952
            La Maison de la Généalogie : Société généalogique canadienne-française
            Quebec Family History Society
            Ontario BMD indexes
            Many Quebec BMD indexes
            Quebec cemetery indexes
            Quebec City

Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
            Census: Quebec
            Passenger Lists: Quebec, 1865-1908
            French Colonial Archives records
            Société de généalogie de Québec

There are 2 x Samuel Cohen's and 1 x Sam Cohen in this site re; Western Land Grants -

Could they have had a 'silent wedding' - 'stille chuppah' - yes, that's also possible.
            Sometimes people ignored civil formalities...were the family particularly religious (frum)?
            Last edited by naomiatt; 29-03-10, 09:58.

Comment

I will see what I can find on Sam's death on JewishGen If I do, I'll post it. thanks so much.
              Are your family sure that Sam passed away in Ontario?

Comment

Yes, they are sure! Sam passed away in Ontario. I'm going to check my shoebox in Ancestry. Something just triggered. Very busy today, so hang in for a response. No, they were not particularly religious.

Comment

Ok....so I know there must be a civil registry somewhere. Since they were married in Montreal, I know something must be there on file. I'll push farther on this when I've got time. Thanks for all of this.........

Comment

OC...I'm starting to learn, you're always one to liven things up a little.

Comment

This explains how to find a death record http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/regon...html#dcemetery

Comment

Have tried a few times, but nothing. Sent out an APB to my aunt...nothing from her yet either.

Comment

I wonder instead of being recorded under Sam or Samuel Cohen..that he is under Fanny's maiden name??

Comment

Don't think so....but it's a good "wonder"..... I'm going to really look for Sam everywhere I can. I have one other source that I haven't fully interrogated yet. Wish me luck.

Comment

Don't think so....but it's a good "wonder"..... I'm going to really look for Sam everywhere I can. I have one other source that I haven't fully interrogated yet. Wish me luck.
                              Good luck!! ;D

Comment

Hi - I've sent a post to BJ. Might be lucky and someone else is also researching these families. I've also asked about Seccundy and Ohe.

Comment

Great photo's Wendi - who are they all?

Comment

The woman standing at a post and turning sideways is Fanny Myers Cohen (d) on her wedding day.
                                    The handsome looking swashbuckler guy standing over his wife and 2 daughters is Lewis Myers, Martha Harris Myers with Fanny and ?
                                    The two guys standing together with their arms around each other are Bernard Cowan (Cohen) on the left and Max Cohen (d) my father on the right.
                                    The two women (first photo) I think is Sam's mother on the left and Martha Harris Myers
                                    The man in the middle with 2 women on either side are bcsierra and M children of Fanny (d) and Sam.
                                    The two men are Sam Cohen (d) and his father-in-law (now aged) Lewis Myers.
                                    Have a look at that Louis Myers...."a movie star"..........then see him as an old man with his son-in-law.

Comment

Wonderful photos and great to have names to them.
                                      Karen

Comment

BSC - does this ring a bell at all? This is from a cemetery site in Brisbane -
                                        1945-03-07 Cohen Kate - 74 wife of late Phillip; daughter of late Morris and Rosa EIZENBERG***; children. Gitel bat Moshe Toowong Brisbane, QLD
                                        There are a number of Cohen's buried in Brisbane....but only three Cantor burials...
                                        1952-10-14 Cantor Melbourne Hirsch n/a no stone. n/a n/a Toowong Brisbane, QLD
                                        1967-05-24 Cantor David 52 husband of Sadie, father of Michael. David Chaim ben Yehuda Yosef1971-04-08 Cantor Sadie 56 erected by son Michael. Sara bat Avraham

This is the site I was looking at http://ajhs.info/cemetery/
                                        I'll send all the burials through to Wendi's private em

Comment

Working...
                                        X