Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Cohen's in Leeds on the 1901 so far have parents with the names - Isreal/Rachel, Lasser/Yettill, Wolfe/Annie, Solomon/Sarah, Harris/Annie and Abraham/Sarah.

Have been checking for departure/arrival and nothing jumping out yet.

Just found a Morris/Rachel with 6 children
    Last edited by Karen S; 28-03-10, 04:00.
    Karen

Comment

Thanks Naomi. Busy, busy at this end, so haven't had a chance to do some hardcore work. No bells on a Cohen/Cantor marriage from my aunt. Just a Cantor name awareness. Good research ideas for finding Sam and Sam's brothers. Sam was the youngest of the brothers, so you may be right; Morris wasn't alive when Max was born. If we could find a burial notice for Morris (Morrice) in Leeds, it might have more info.

Comment

Hi - how did you find out that Morris wasn't alive when Max was born?.....because he was named after his gf?
        When was Max born? That would help determine when Morris passed away..(assuming he came to Leeds as well)..
        How do you know Sam was the youngest of the children?

Comment

I knew Sam Cohen was the youngest of the brothers because my aunt remembered that he was.
          Max was born 1917 (I'll double check that). I found his brit milah. Fanny was married 1914 and had him 3 yrs. later.
          I assumed Morris had passed away because Max might ?? have been named after him.

Comment

Ooo..do you have any Hebrew on the Brit Milah??? Might show some Hebrew names...
            You also mentioned that Max was the oldest child..could be that Fanny had a child who who didn't survive before Max was born.. they married 4th Jan 1914.....
            or Sam was away....
            I would say that Max was named after Morris...so we can assume that Morris passed away before
            28th March 1916...

e.g Simon Eisenberg m Annie Stone in Leeds, 17th Nov 1875, Belgrave Street - he was 21, commercial traveller of 40 St Albans Street, and she was aged 20, of Cobden Place. The other marriages aren't in Leeds
            Last edited by naomiatt; 28-03-10, 05:51.

Comment

No Hebrew on the Brit Milah! Funny, eh? We've established that Max was born in 1915. I hope I made that correction to you yesterday. As far as I know there were no children born before Max. Considering that they were married in l914, that's a safe assumption. I would also say that Max was named after Morris (just a hunch), so yes, we can assume tht Morris passed away before March 28, 1915. (Notice the correction) Where in the heck was Morris/Morrice buried and when did he die?

Comment

Thanks, Karen. I think the direction we're going in here is that Sam's father was Morris (an assumption). My father Max (d) was probably named after him. We think Morris must have passed away before Max's birth and therefore we're looking for a burial certificate for Morris in Leeds. The Morris/Rachel that you found....when was that? How many of those 6 children were boys? If so, what were those boys names?

Comment

The Morris/Rachel are on the 1901, boys names are Samuel and Isaac. Samuel is 8 with 2 younger sisters.

Will have a look for a Samuel Cohen being the youngest child, so looking for older parents. Will start with Leeds, but check all that matches.
                  Karen

Comment

Thanks ever so much Karen. I feel we're getting close here. Our Samuel married in 1914 in Canada. It is unlikely that the one you found with the sisters is him. Our Samuel is the youngest of 10 brothers. Older parents is the direction to go.

Comment

Right, here is a rank outsider, just to liven things up, lol!

1881 - Charles Cohen, 26, wife Betsy, three sons Lazarus 8, Morris 7 David 5 at 51 Byron St Leeds. I'm thinking Betsy is young enough to have a lot more sons - can anyone see them in 1891 please as I don't have Ancestry access any more.

OC

Comment

1891 census

Household Members:
                        Chas H Cohen 41 born Poland
                        Betsie Cohen 38 born Poland
                        Morris Cohen 16
                        David Cohen 14
                        Wolfie Cohen 7
                        Louis Cohen 5
                        Joseph Cohen 2
                        Sulky Puninski 78 - mother in law - born Poland

all children born Leeds

address 9 Byron Street

Elaine

Comment

Same family in 1901

Charles Cohen 51
                          Betsy Cohen 46
                          Wilfred Cohen 17
                          Louis Cohen 15
                          Joseph Cohen 11
                          Jacob Cohen 8
                          Cecilia Cohen 6
                          Annie Culligan 45 - servant

address 46 Glover Street
                          Elaine

Comment

What happened to David and Morris from 1901? Wilfred I imagine is Wolf. Jacob and Cecilia must have been born after 1901. Do you suppose David and Morris died? Can we find their DC's?

Comment

Samuel (Sam) being the youngest in the family does not seem to be connected to the family found by Elaine. We know he married in 1914 in Canada. There still however, could be a connection here. I'm not exactly sure where to go with this.

Comment

Hi - David and Morris might have left home and be married by then...be aged 24 and 26.

If you can find the approx dob for Sam would make it a bit easier..Sam might have been a nickname or a middle name......

Also, your aunt mentioned that Louis Meyer and Sam Cohen came out together..poss to the US first....
                                can anyone see them leaving the UK?

There's a Charles H Cohen in Leeds in 1911 aged 60 - born 1851.
                                I think this must be him -
                                Deaths Dec 1932
                                Cohen Charles H 83 Leeds North 9b 280
                                There is a notice in the JC - ..., Charles Cohen, late of 46, Glover-streefc, Ieds. Aged 83. Deeply mourned by his-. sorrowing wife, sons...- 21st Oct 1932 edition. I'll try and get further info to see if it says much else.
                                Last edited by naomiatt; 28-03-10, 21:48.

Comment

Oh, that's looking better than I had thought, lol, thanks Elaine - a lot of sons there and only one daughter, who may have died of course. but no Samuel, who should have been born by 1901 surely, to marry in 1914?

The simple answer of course is to get Sam's marriage cert and see who his father is and how old Samuel is at marriage.

OC

Comment

Hi OC - on the marriage cert for Quebec, 4th Jan, 1914, from the Beth David Register, Sam is named as Sam Cohen, native of Russia, tailor - son of 'Morrice' Cohen and Sarah Rebecca Eisenberg/Ersenberg/Ehrenberg etc etc No ages are provided..just lawful.
                                    Wendi - do you have a civil marriage cert for Sam and Fanny?

Comment

DURH!!! sorry, I completely misunderstood previous info and thought that Morrice was merely a guess.

Apologies for wasting everyone's time.

OC

Comment

Oh dear - "Records in Quebec have always been recorded and kept as Catholic or non-Catholic. There was no civil registration as there was in other provinces" - hmmm.

Can anyone see Sam's age on Ancestry? He passed away in 1939.
                                        He also accompanied Louis Meyer to Quebec...with a strong possibility of heading to the US first..

Wendi's aunt said "The Freedmans were in the U.SA..for many years.never in Canada..Lewis- Louis Meyers could have landed on U.S, soil..Sam Cohen accompanied him...then they travelled up to Montreal...Fanny and Beatrice came together to Montreal.in the summer. Then the rest of the family came over to Montreal.in the fall"
                                        Last edited by naomiatt; 28-03-10, 22:41.

Comment

Hello, I can only see 2 deaths for Samuel Cohen, neither are in 1939.

20 Oct 1935 and 5 Aug 1938 both in Ontario. I even tried the french version of ancestry.

Will look for Myers/Cohen travelling to the states/canada.
                                          Karen

Comment

Working...
                                          X