Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice way of wording that naomiatt.

Comment

• Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
      Nice way of wording that naomiatt.
      Yes..not easy to explain in a diplomatic way!! :D

Comment

• Hi everyone - BJ has introduced an All Leeds database -
        - you might need to register (free)

Plenty of Cohen's on there, plus the Harris's etc....I've put that on the Myer's topic as well..
        Last edited by naomiatt; 03-05-10, 04:09.

Comment

• I'm not up on Canadian Geography can someon enlighten me as to which County/district within Toronto Canada did our Cohen family settle
          WendyP

Comment

• They settled in a few different places....after Montreal I believe the Cohens went south to Trenton, Ontario and then moved to Toronto. The downtown core of Toronto (particularly Kensington, Queen, Bathurst and Spadina areas) were largely populated by Jews at that time. They were in the "rag" business (ie. clothing and tailoring) small cigar stores and money-lending. Those were the primary areas they first settled.

Comment

• Major St is mentioned on the Myer's topic..did Sam have a business near there?

Comment

• Major Street is in the Kensington area and Sam might have had a small business there before he went to work for Tip Top Tailors.

Comment

• Speaking of Tip Top Tailors again I did find an I Cohen at 353 Palmerston Blvd occupation in 1925 stated as Sec and Trea of Tip Top Tailors. I wonder if that was how our Sam got his foot in the door.

Then in 1931 same address he is shown as Israel Cohen Sectreas of Berger Tailoring Co Ltd manufacturing mens clothing.
                  Last edited by WendyP; 05-05-10, 19:23.
                  WendyP

Comment

• Hmmmm....that's certainly very very interesting. Israel Cohen does not ring any bells. The timing is right, the address is a possibility and the names both Cohen AND Berger are ringing lots of bells. There might be a connection I'm not aware of
                    and neither is my aunt. Where can we go from here? Joe Berger might have been a tailor and Israel may have been one of the long lost Cohen brothers. A shot in the dark here. Wonderful detective work WendyP.

Comment

• Not sure but it got me excited and this is not my family. I did find a son for the above Israel using the address above and he was called Thomas Sidney Cohen bn circa 1901 United States. He was shown here as marrying in 1924.

WendyP

Comment

• I'm not sure either WendyP. Are you sure you're not part of our family??? Do first names count? The only thing that's ringing a bell for me is the surname. And we know how many Cohens there are. We would have to prove a connection and that would mean finding the father of Israel Cohen. If his father was Morrice (Morris) and his mother Sarah Rebecca .......berg then we've have a MATCH. Right now we just having a matching surname and nothing else. I'll do a search for Israel and if you find anything keep me posted.

Comment

• Found Israel now showing as Isaac on the 1911 Canadian census for Toronto South at what looks like Richmond?

Isaac/Israel Cohen bn 1873 Russia Tailor
                          Lena Cohen bn 1872 Russia
                          Thomas Cohen bn March 1902 USA
                          Benny Cohen bn Jan 1905 Ont
                          Esther Cohen bn Sept 1893 ENGLAND?
                          Minnie Cohen bn 1898 USA
                          Ida Cohen bn 1900 USA
                          WendyP

Comment

• Wow...you're quick. I looked also and found a few Israels but no connection. Unless we prove that Issac/Israel had the same parents as Sam, we're looking at just another Cohen. Richmond St. still exists; no match that I'm aware of.

Comment

• What do you know about the Berger side? WendyP could well be on to something...Israel could be a sibling of Maurice for example..

Comment

• The oldest Berger and the only one I know about is Joe (d). He married Rebecca (Bea) Myers (d). As far as I know there's no connection. Joe married Bea and they had one son Martin (d).

Comment

• Was Joe or his family in the tailoring business? What address was shown on Sam's death cert?

Comment

• I think Joe was in the tailoring business. Just heading out now, but I'll check when we get home. There's definitely an address on there.

Comment

• I can't find Sam's DC....I think it must have been Lewis Myers I was thinking of and the address that appeared on his DC. I've looked everywhere.

Comment

• Just incase anyones got access to Ancestry and can check cos I have seen that there is a One world tree on Ancestry that has an Israel Isidore Cohen and spouse being Leah Crangel - I'm just curious what other info it gives. I now i'm sidestepping but if it helps find these older siblilngs for Sam or as naomi stated Uncles to Sam then bring it on.....LOL
                                        WendyP

Comment

• Isaac isadore Cohen married in Mile End Old town London England 1892 to Leah Crangal/el
                                          WendyP

Comment

Working...
                                          X