Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put this to JGen -
    Sam COHEN (Yeshayah son of Moshe) was born around 1891-1893 in 'Russia' and lived in Liverpool and Leeds before setting off to the US and Canada. His parents were Morris and Sarah Rebecca COHEN and I suspect that Morris passed away in England before 1915. Sam had more siblings, names unknown. His sons Hebrew names are Micel and Shalom.
    Sam's gravestone does not have symbols to indicate that he was a true "Cohen" nor is H'Cohen mentioned after his name or that of his sons. The burial took place in Canada. There is a big C at the top of the stone with decorative circles and vines spreading either side. The 'C' is not enclosed, just two circle dots below and above. Right at the top is a Star of David. Any ideas if this could indicate that he was a true "Cohen". Marriage documents although taking place at a Synagogue are in English. Sam passed away 30th January, 1937 aged 45.

Comment

• Just thought of this with - Friedman & Cohen http://www.fandc.co.za/history.htm
      which tells of Benjamin FRIEDMAN marrying Anna COHEN and of her brother Shio Ben COHEN - Shio is probably Yeshayah

Comment

• Back home...interesting thought, but have no way of verifying....hmmm.

Comment

• I have a thought here....check out the thumbnails on the photos see Post #211. I'd like everyone's opinion. I think we're too close to this to see a possible error. Check out the middle photograph of 2 men....then check out the photgraph to the right....also two men. Bscierra thinks that the photo in the middle the man on the right is the same man as the man directly to the right on the end photograph. I see them as 2 very different men. So, to clarify....the 2 men in 2 separate photos are 2 separate men. I don't see a resemblance. Anyone else out there with a good eye and an opinion welcome.

Comment

• Good morning,

I looked at the photos a couple of times last night. I was also thinking that the man on the right with cigar, did not really have the same shaped head as the younger man next to Lewis Myers.
            Karen

Comment

• Bscierra seems to think they are one and the same and there's nothing written on the back of the photos. I think they are 2 different people. Waiting to hear what others think. Good morning Karen and thanks for your input. Hmmmm.

Comment

• wendiR...About the photo of the two men standing..with canes. The one on the right hand side is my Dad, Sam Cohen, with the cigar,and the man on the left hand side....I do not know... It could be Wolfe)William) Cohen.???..He is shorter than my Dad. On his war record is his measurements 5ft.4"inches..My Sam was 5ft.9....and Wendi if you study the picture closely, you will see the features resemble my brother Saul. I do remember his face..The picture with Louis Myers, Sam standing, that was taken in his younger years...I hope this helps...bsc

Comment

• I've noticed you're still here. I have sent a PM to Elaine in Spain as well as the post, for a request to move the 2 x threads to the Adoption/Reunion... I'm sure they'll see it soon.

W
                  We should never forget them,
                  Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                  We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                  Because we all have them…
                  Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

• I think it may be the same chap - both have a longish face and deep set eyes.....
                    Jacky

Comment

• Good afternoon, Naomiatt...I was reviewing some of the threads...The Australian one interested me#114...You were successful in discovering a group of Cohen`s there..Kate & Philip Cohen..They also seemed to be connected to a Eizenberg family...I think, from your discovery there are some children there, namely Hilda Leah. Roza Eizenberg, Aaron Eizenberg, Rosa`s & Moishe ben David`Cohen`s son..Those family members seem to be related...Is there a possiblity that it is connected to Sam Cohen, my late Father. from Leeds?? I do know that my mother did write to a family in Australia..Unfortunately all that information has been lost, when my late mothers home was sold...I hope I am not sending everyone on a "wild goose chase"....Best regards..bsc

Comment

• Had a number of responses to my post - one site mentioned is http://www.cheela.org/read.php?categ=4
                        That particular topic covers Cohen queries...

Comment

• Hi bsc - thought it would be easier to put the main of that post here so it's fresh...plus I've emphasised where applic'

Philip Cohen was born around 1861 and Kate around 1871 -

1887/11520 Eizenberg Kate Cohen Phillip - They married in Queensland, I'm presuming in Brisbane as they are buried in Toowong.
                          I 'think' this is all the same family -
                          20937 1945-03-07 Cohen Kate 5 343 74 wife of late Phillip; daughter of late Morris and Rosa EIZENBERG; children. Gitel bat Moshe n/a Toowong Brisbane, QLD
                          21014 1908-11-16 Cohen Philip 6 424 47 husband; our father; same plot 424, 425, 426. Pinchas ben Michael haKohen n/a
                          21016 1931-06-15 Cohen Samuel 6 426 42 same plot 424, 425, 426. n/a
                          21015 1892-11-23 Cohen Hilda Leah 6 425 n/a daughter of Philip; same plot 424, 425, 426. n/a n/a Toowong Brisbane, QLD
                          20776 1903-01-21 Eizenberg Rosa 3 168 59 {Hebrew: wife of Moshe ben David]; same stone 169. n/a
                          20777 1885-03-15 Eizenberg Aaron 3 169 4 their son; same stone 168.

Philip is showing as Pinchas son of Michael H'Cohen.

***When you get the opportunity to look, I sent Wendi details of Cohen's and Eizenberg's from the Aus Archives..some are already on line to view**...let me know if anything rings out....
                          http://www.naa.gov.au/index.aspx - click search as a guest user...and then the surname in lower case..SOME FILES ARE OPEN - CLICK DIGITAL VIEW FIRST....THEN JUST CLICK ON THE BLUE SIGN - YOU CAN READ THE WHOLE FILE(s) - THERE ARE NO CHARGES...

***These are Cohen's that married in Qld until 1934 - anything jump out?? There are too many to list...

only one for Cantor - 1934/2365 Sutherland John William Cantor Joyce Elizabeth Emily
                          the records only show until 1934 on this site and these are the Eizenberg's -

1887/11520 Eizenberg Kate Cohen Phillip
                          1892/15809 Clushon Herman Eizenberg Rachel
                          1900/26 Eizenberg Samuel Cohen Miriam
                          1900/522 Ryan Winifred Eizenberg Henry
                          1901/1216 Eizenberg Hyman Josephson Lottie
                          1904/3147 Eizenberg Maria Anna Clarke Arthur William Cole
                          1922/31234 Free Percy Norman Cunningham Eizenberg Florence Elizabeth
                          1925/2260 Eizenberg Myrtle Daphne Way Frank Lester
                          1927/2298 Eizenberg John Henry McMahon Irene Emily
                          1926/311 Eizenberg Morris Victor Jarrett Aileen Alanah

One Ehrenberg -
                          1932/1321 Ehrenberg Leslie Gordon Hall Hilda Mary

I searched from 1850-1934

Do you have all the burial info that I sent through a while ago? - from this site -
                          Last edited by naomiatt; 26-04-10, 01:23.

Comment

• Good site...from what I can see....all in French. So difficult.

Comment

• Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                              Good site...from what I can see....all in French. So difficult.
                              Hi - it translates to English.

Comment

• Can I chuck in a random cohen married into hubs family........ ? no idea who he is connected to as "Harry Cohen" is a bit common........ :D :D

Comment

• Originally posted by Peppie View Post
                                  Can I chuck in a random cohen married into hubs family........ ? no idea who he is connected to as "Harry Cohen" is a bit common........ :D :D
                                  Hi Peppie - do you have any more info about Harry?
                                  (want to do a separate post on it??....this and the Myers topic should be being transferred to the adoption forum...think Wallaby has been sorting it out..)

Comment

• Hi

since there has been doubt as to whether the two elder gents in each photo are the same man or not I thought I'd ahbve a play with them and see if I could show them side by side in one photo so here goes

I've also done the same for Sam Cohen, even though there is no doubt abt who this is,

I hope they look ok and appear as big as I want them to.
                                    WendyP

Comment

• What a great idea WendyP....putting them side by side. Thanks. Your a real techie wiz. The 2 men however, I really wanted to see side by side was the guy with the cigar and the guy in a suit in the bottom left photo. The man on your upper right is Lewis Myers. We know that for sure! So in otherwords the 2 guys that are on your upper left and your lower left....do they look like the same person? I don't see it...what about you?

Comment

• ok...so I'll go back and translate. thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                          Hi Peppie - do you have any more info about Harry?
                                          (want to do a separate post on it??....this and the Myers topic should be being transferred to the adoption forum...think Wallaby has been sorting it out..)
                                          Hiya,

I don't know why you are still here! Maybe Wendi needs to request this move herself, maybe I can't request another persons thread to be moved. But, I did PM Elaine in Spain & got no reply.

W
                                          We should never forget them,
                                          Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                          We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                          Because we all have them…
                                          Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Working...
                                          X