kuhnle khunle Voltmer, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuhnle khunle Voltmer, please help!

I hope to enlist the help of you good people again, I am looking for someone on the 1881 censes
    Regina Katherina Kuhnle, (though surname is subject to variation and she was often called kate too) she was born 21 Feb 1861 in Germany. hausen neckarkeis Wuerttemburg, she died young leaving three daughters on 17 May 1898 in 29 St George st. London.

Her widowed mother and all her sibblings had left germany and were in st george in the east london in 1881, her sister fredericka was married to Albert Schramm and all the family lived together at the same address....

the mystery is where was Regina?
    we know she married in London in 1883 to her first husband (heilmann who died within the year or so as did her twin babies) and is down as living in Limehouse on the banns, but where I have searched like crazy for her under various versions of her name to no avail and manually have searched the entiretly of st george in the east, most of Limehouse and will have to start shadwell soon !...its truly a labour of love isnt it!...if anyone can help I would be glad of it!

Also her second husband whom she married in st george in the east in 1888, jack the ripper year, Peter Christophe Voltmer, born 1851 Germany father heinz or hans a farmer, he died in bow infirmary in 1932 and went to a paupers grave in the city of london cemetery which we discovered last year.

we are trying to find information on his early life in germany and trying to establish his arrival to england. and are trying to fill in the missing years between 1911 and 1932... ironically the address on his death cert is the same address that had been albert and frederikas (his wifes sister and husband) prior to both their deaths in 1928...so we think he remained close to his late wifes family and til the end.

we have pretty much tracked his life from about 1886 as a liscened victualler at the crooked billet st george st, st george in the east, who turned his hand to being a fruiterer briefly in putney, returned briefly to victualling at an unknown pub, when regina died soon after in 1898 his daughters went to a childrens home in roehamption lane putney , where by all accounts they were well cared for and taught a trade, it was not a dickensian style typical home, some mysterious benefactor paid for their keep there, however as far as we know never saw their father again.

After the death of his wife Peter became a dock labourer, and was listed as a retired dock labouerer at the time of his death...again any help would be welcome.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, these were my partners great grand parents, we are at a dead end and would love to find out more.

Hi - does the 1911 census provide more clues for you with regards to Peter?
    That shows his birth year as 1858 and living in St George in the East.
    There is also a Katrine F Voltmer aged 20, living in Sevenoaks, Kent...one of his children?

Comment

This is a long short do you think it could be her if you look at the image the surname looks like it could be spelt Kuhn they have transcribed hammersmith wrong
      Katherine Kahn
      Estimated birth year: abt 1864
      Relation: Servant
      Where born: Germany

Civil parish: Harmmersmith
      County/Island: London

Street Address: 74 Goldhawk Rd Bakers Shop

Class: RG11; Piece: 60; Folio: 49; Page: 28
      GWEN

Comment

Hello
        I also found a Hans Heinrich Voltmer* 1771- 1838 ( at ancestry in Hanover.)
        In another contribution I took that this farmer was
        Some still live in Lower Saxony in the area north of Hanover. ( Neustadt am Rübengebirge). From unite

Peter Christophe Voltmer would be written so Peter Christopher (Christoph, Christofer, Christof), Voltmer in German
        The attempt to write the surname as Vollmer led me into the Pfalz. Gives others a wine-growing estate Heinrich Vollmer among many in the Palz (Württemberg). Heinz or also Hans is the shortened forms of Heinrich. Both appear also as Hans Heinrich or Heinz Heinrich.
        But the name Vollmer is very far common. Without other clues it gets very hard to find the right ancestors.
        Wolf

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
          This is a long short do you think it could be her if you look at the image the surname looks like it could be spelt Kuhn they have transcribed hammersmith wrong
          Katherine Kahn
          Estimated birth year: abt 1864
          Relation: Servant
          Where born: Germany

Civil parish: Harmmersmith
          County/Island: London

Street Address: 74 Goldhawk Rd Bakers Shop

Class: RG11; Piece: 60; Folio: 49; Page: 28
          Hi there Gwen, that sounds interesting indeed, could you possibly post the link to the page? its def worth looking at, there are so many ways that surname could be writen and then theres the inumerators interpretation and also transcription errors!...so quite possible could be her!... thanks so much xxx

Comment

Originally posted by WZowe View Post
            Hello
            I also found a Hans Heinrich Voltmer* 1771- 1838 ( at ancestry in Hanover.)
            In another contribution I took that this farmer was
            Some still live in Lower Saxony in the area north of Hanover. ( Neustadt am Rübengebirge). From unite

Peter Christophe Voltmer would be written so Peter Christopher (Christoph, Christofer, Christof), Voltmer in German
            The attempt to write the surname as Vollmer led me into the Pfalz. Gives others a wine-growing estate Heinrich Vollmer among many in the Palz (Württemberg). Heinz or also Hans is the shortened forms of Heinrich. Both appear also as Hans Heinrich or Heinz Heinrich.
            But the name Vollmer is very far common. Without other clues it gets very hard to find the right ancestors.
            Wolf
            Hello again Wolf dear, thank you so much for kindly helping again! the first hans hienrich you mention died before our peter was concieved, but could be related due to german naming system, I forgot to say his father was heinz peter voltmer!

Its very hard to find out much but we will look at the areas you have suggested all help is much appreciated xxx

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
              Hi - does the 1911 census provide more clues for you with regards to Peter?
              That shows his birth year as 1858 and living in St George in the East.
              There is also a Katrine F Voltmer aged 20, living in Sevenoaks, Kent...one of his children?
              Hi Naomiatt,
              Yes we have the 1911 census, which is helpful even though the birth year is slightly out we know he was living back in st george in the east then...Indeed that is one of his girls in Kent, though they generally come up as voltner after they go into the childrens home which was when the the 'm' got changed to 'n' in error, I dont think they ever knew their name spelt with the 'm' in it!

We would love to know what happened in his life between 1911 and the year he died, 1932 and wonder what other documants we can find to help us discover more.
              Thank you for looking at this and being kind enough to help xxx

Comment

I've only just returned home and seen your reply here is the link.

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
                Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 09-12-09, 14:22.
                GWEN

Comment

Myby is info helpfull Albertina VOLTMER * 1851
                  RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: SCHEELE FAMILY, ORIGIN - FUHRBERG, HANOVER
                  Wolf

Comment

Do you think Peter might have used an alias within those missing years?
                    Although he's recorded it correctly in 1911. There was a fair bit of anti German sentiment (all faiths) going on....

Comment

Do you think Peter might have used an alias within those missing years?
                      Although he's recorded it correctly in 1911. There was a fair bit of anti German sentiment (all faiths) going on....
                      I dont think he would have used an alias from 1911-32 I know others from his wifes family didnt and they had very german names!... he may have reversed the use of peter and christophe and variations of, but think he would have definitly used voltmer, its been wrongly transcribed so many times.... I'd love to know what pub he became victualler of about 1894-98 when he lived in king davids lane, which was only one street ouside st george in the east, came under shadwell.

xxx

Comment

Anything in this site - includes London pubs...
                        Whitechapel High Street and Whitechapel Road over the last two hundred years
                        Also http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/NR/rd...ictuallers.PDF
                        There was a Licensed Victuallers Gazette...and it looks like some records will be going on line -
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 09-12-09, 21:37.

Comment

Anything in this site - includes London pubs...
                          Whitechapel High Street and Whitechapel Road over the last two hundred years
                          Also http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/NR/rd...ictuallers.PDF
                          There was a Licensed Vituallers Gazette...and it looks like some records will be going on line -
                          Page 27
                          that certainly looks helpful, ah but the pubs were not in whitechapel!...that will be good if the records from that gazette go online!

Comment

Originally posted by ajchambers8 View Post
                            that certainly looks helpful, ah but the pubs were not in whitechapel!...that will be good if the records from that gazette go online!
                            Yes..that site covers pubs all over...should have shown as deadpubs! :xmas_smile:

Comment

Yes..that site covers pubs all over...should have shown as deadpubs! :xmas_smile:
                              Brilliant thanks! we have our work cut out for sure!

Comment

Ah actually we know that pub site, we sent them a correction as they transcribed voltmer as tollmec!

Comment

Ah actually we know that pub site, we sent them a correction as they transcribed voltmer as tollmec!
                                  Oh dear! :xmas_laugh:
                                  What about this site;
                                  Inns and Taverns of Old London
                                  and
                                  Results might be a bit early....
                                  and
                                  Results
                                  and
                                  The National Archives | National Register of Archives | Corporate details | Archive Details
                                  and from the LMA

Comment

I keep meaning to go back to the london as its just down the rd to me, last time i went theyd just done stock take and couldnt find anything! I will go back after xmas now , will look at those other links, my partner whom i am updating in email is very impressed and looking forward to checking everything out :xmas_yes:

Comment

the small and special link you said is really great... hadnt seen nor heard of that before, so easy to search too, signed up and it gives addresses too, could be VERY useful *happy dance*

Comment

the small and special link you said is really great... hadnt seen nor heard of that before, so easy to search too, signed up and it gives addresses too, could be VERY useful *happy dance*
                                        Yes, it's a great site...be interesting to see what you and your partner can find with all of these sites...you'll have a busy weekend! :xmas_biggrin:

Comment

Working...
                                        X