Workhouse Baptisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouse Baptisms

If it says Workhouse as their address on a Baptism would the parents or the Workhouse have arranged them ??
    Also I have found the females on a family in one Workhouse but not the Males ,I know they were kept seperate but would it have been a completely different Workhouse or the male section.
    And is there a way of searching the 1851 St Pancras Campden Workhouse for the rest of the children .

There were Workhouse registers on Ancestry first lot of the LMA they uploaded but I can't find them now. Not sure if that one is there though because I can't find them!

Or if they were there during the 1851 census you can look at that... just need to find the district and census *goes off to look again*

So for 1851 if they were there at census time they will show up.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-11-09, 19:44.

Comment

I have found the Mother and the Girls in 1851 in the Workhouse but cannot find the Father and the Boys

Comment

To find the 1851 Camden Workhouse
        Open 1851 census search on Ancestry - 1851 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk
        Scroll down page to the county listing and click on Middlesex.
        Click on St. Pancras
        Click on Camden Town
        Click on District St Pancras Workhouse - that should take you to the pages for the workhouse returns - 65 pages!
        Elaine

Comment

thanks so much Elaine think I have 5 mins to spare

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            To find the 1851 Camden Workhouse
            Open 1851 census search on Ancestry - 1851 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk
            Scroll down page to the county listing and click on Middlesex.
            Click on St. Pancras
            Click on Camden Town
            Click on District St Pancras Workhouse - that should take you to the pages for the workhouse returns - 65 pages!
            Yeah I posted the direct link up there.

There are workhouse registers on Ancestry they were the first records uploaded but I can't find them and can't remember whether St Pancras was there.

Found them them http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/li...57&path=Camden

I think the dates are too late for your lot.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-11-09, 20:10.

Comment

just came up for air ,sorry Maggie missed that link you gave thanks

Comment

I think this link

London, England, Poor Law Records, 1834-1940 - Ancestry.com

is too late for you doesn't start until late 1890s.

Oh good luck on the 65 pages.

I bet you're nearly finished by now. :smilee:

Comment

I'm boss eyed now and totally confused

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    I'm boss eyed now and totally confused
                    What is their names?

I'll have a look.

Comment

its a bit complicated Maggie it looks as if the Mother has reverted to her maiden name after being in the Workhouse will need to investigate further thanks very much

Comment

this lady did marry Bob but I have a sneaky feeling her husband was a bigamist

Comment

errrr well he would have left the first family and started another and so on and so forth.

That's what a lot of men did in those days and still do today. Although some women do too.

It wasn't about wanting more than one wife and children but just moving on leaving them behind and starting another life. Burying the past and the wife and children with it and starting another.

Benefiting financially would have been a cause because he would leave a wife and 3 children and start another with a woman that maybe was just about to have another - less mouths to feed for a little while...

... and then when he got fed up again leave for another its that old story. It was total irresponsibility life hasn't changed much except these days they don't have to go through the pretence of actually marrying and breaking the law!
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-11-09, 00:28.

Comment

I agree with Maggie - the reasons haven't changed and are nothing to do with finances.

Some men just get fed up with one wife and move onto the next one.

There was a LOT of bigamy in Victorian times - much cheaper and a lot easier than divorce!

In Val's case, the fact that her rellie reverted to her maiden name suggests she KNEW she was the victim of bigamy. Wonder if her "husband" was in jail?

OC

Comment

ooh OC hadnt thought of that would explain things thanks , shall investigate further .

Comment

:Big Grin::Wink:you do have a lovely turn of phrase Bob you really do, you made me laugh
                                I personally wasnt talking about morals here and I would hardly think many men met Women in the Workhouse as they were segregated even from their own children as far as I know .
                                And I do have a rellie who left her Husband and went to live with another Man so I know its not only men who do the dirty.

Comment

Bob

Your relative in the Workhouse who reverted to her maiden name was almost certainly FORCED to do that by the moralising Guardians of the Poor, who would have taken grim delight in exposing her "immorality" as an unmarried mother. I dare say they told her she must not use her "married" name ... poor soul was probably so utterly terrified, she didn't dare.

Yes, a woman in an "irregular" partnership was in a very precarious position. The man could leave her at any time and the workhouse would be her fate, unless she could hook up with yet another man who would take her and her children on. I doubt if many such women would willingly leave a partner, however awful he was, unless she had somewhere better to go (unlikely!).

It was reasonably easy for a man to get out of the workhouse, but not for a woman, unless she was prepared to leave her children behind and never see them again.

And Bob - you have voiced the universal cause of men leaving their wives and children! They left for someone younger, prettier, fresher and more admiring than the drab old wife with no teeth who nagged constantly about money! That hasn't changed much, has it. How many men do you know who leave their wives for someone older and uglier than their present wife!

OC

Comment

Ermm - my ex husband did. The new one is a good bit older than me and that's being kind. She's now officially an OAP. As to the uglier bit, well that's always subjective isn't it? :Wink:

Comment

is that right Galloway ??? his loss then

Comment

Yep it sure was. I was 31 at the time of the split. Wot a long time ago LOL They married two years later, soon after the divorce was completed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X