X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Val and George
    replied
    Oh this is an exciting thread - can't wait to see what happens next....:D

congratulations everyone...............these type of stories make FH all worthwhile don't they?

Leave a comment:

• Harrys mum
    replied
    Hello Damannion. Welcome to FTF.

I remember helping John with the Carrolls ages ago. I was living in Brisbane and have Carrolls in my tree through amrriage but couldn't connect them.

If John doesn't see this, click on his board name (John_8251) and you will see "private message" and you can send him a message that way.

Hope you enjoy being with us.

Leave a comment:

• damannion
    replied
    John, come back...this is a long-lost American cousin, LOL. I am related to the Leavys and Carrolls and have answers to some of your questions. (Plus some good family stories, including some I just learned about this week.) We are in touch with some of the Carrolls in Australia and I know they would be thrilled to hear from you!

Leave a comment:

• John_8251
    replied
    Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
    Brissie! ;) That newspaper site is really good, and it's just been updated as well. 2k was a lot of $ (can't do the pound sign here!) in those times.
    When you get back, you might be able to find details about the claim as well.
    I have saved all the links you have posted for when I get back...2k in them days was £s so it says (cant do $ signs here lol). Seems Elizabeth was injured and left paralysed from the waist down and died after claim agreed but before the claim was paid out. Facinating... but I need to sleep.:conf:

Hope these links can be gathered... they are very useful

Leave a comment:

• naomiatt
    replied
    Originally posted by John_8251 View Post
    It has to be..... well, your knowlege of Australia searches points that way but you are up early. I reckon you are from Canada or Oz :Big Grin:

You recall that snippet re Elizabeth and the newspaper link you posted... well I went a year ahead and found a dodgy solicitor who had pocketed £2k from an Elizabeth Carroll (now dead) but the claim was brought by Mrs Elizabeth Carroll re an accident. I put it to one side (to hard tray) but after finding Elizabeth (wife of John) on the headstone it is slowly falling into place.
    My theory is John Carroll was the uncle of Thomas, Elizabeth and Mary who was already in Australia... and they went over and joined the family.
    I will work on that but I have to go to Budapest for a couple of days so it is on ice for now.
    Brissie! ;) That newspaper site is really good, and it's just been updated as well. 2k was a lot of $ (can't do the pound sign here!) in those times.
    When you get back, you might be able to find details about the claim as well.

Leave a comment:

• naomiatt
    replied
    Is there anything in these sites for the Carroll's? - different links for the different bits -
    Indexes and
    Index to Passage Certificates 1887-1906
    Indexes Online — State Records NSW - might be a bit early for them
    Search the Archives Database

Leave a comment:

• John_8251
    replied
    ..and guess where I live John! :Big Grin:
    It has to be..... well, your knowlege of Australia searches points that way but you are up early. I reckon you are from Canada or Oz :Big Grin:

You recall that snippet re Elizabeth and the newspaper link you posted... well I went a year ahead and found a dodgy solicitor who had pocketed £2k from an Elizabeth Carroll (now dead) but the claim was brought by Mrs Elizabeth Carroll re an accident. I put it to one side (to hard tray) but after finding Elizabeth (wife of John) on the headstone it is slowly falling into place.
    My theory is John Carroll was the uncle of Thomas, Elizabeth and Mary who was already in Australia... and they went over and joined the family.
    I will work on that but I have to go to Budapest for a couple of days so it is on ice for now.

Leave a comment:

• naomiatt
    replied
    Originally posted by Caroline View Post
    Thank you for posting this link - I have added it to the wiki on the new Cemeteries Online - Family Tree Forum page.
    Hi - not a problem. They sound nice and friendly as well

Leave a comment:

• naomiatt
    replied
    Naomiatt.... I have mailed the details I have to the Friends of S Brisbane asking if the grave has a headstone and any inscription. So thanks for that one.
    I mailed my brother in Canada yesterday to update him on the new link to Australia... how spooky is this. His daughter enrolled at Brisbane Uni last week and will travel from Canada next year! Of all the places in all of the world eh....wow.

Still hoping to find when Thomas and his sisters arrived in Australia... thanks again
    ..and guess where I live John! :Big Grin:

Leave a comment:

• Caroline
    replied
    Hi - they have a website Untitled Document
    Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery;
    Thank you for posting this link - I have added it to the wiki on the new Cemeteries Online - Family Tree Forum page.

Leave a comment:

• John_8251
    replied
    Update..... I just got a mail from the Friends of S Brisbane Cemetery plus more info to digest!

Here is part of the reply

Good Evening from Brissy.

Thank you so much for your kind words - I am so happy to hear from another person on the other side of the world.

The grave you have mentioned is actually one of my favourites and I posted the photo of the headstone on ourbrisbane.com

Dutton Park Cemetery - beautiful masonary work | ourbrisbane.com

I have also attached the original photo (grave is portion 2F graves 20 & 21). Here is what is says on the headstone:

Elizabeth Carroll
    31 August 1893 33yrs

Mary (sis/Elizabeth)
    6 February 1890 27yrs

John Carroll
    18 April 1899 75yrs

his daughter
    Mrs Julia Byrne
    died - Bundaberg 25 July 1895 35yrs 6mths

Elizabeth (w/John Carroll)
    23 February 1906 67yrs

Also buried in this plot but not on the headstone is -

Catherine McRae buried 28 December 1948
    Thomas P Carroll buried 6 February 1922

What a great reply.... and check out that headstone!
    Without the help of others who posted me links etc... I would never have found this..... thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• John_8251
    replied
    Naomiatt.... I have mailed the details I have to the Friends of S Brisbane asking if the grave has a headstone and any inscription. So thanks for that one.
    I mailed my brother in Canada yesterday to update him on the new link to Australia... how spooky is this. His daughter enrolled at Brisbane Uni last week and will travel from Canada next year! Of all the places in all of the world eh....wow.

Still hoping to find when Thomas and his sisters arrived in Australia... thanks again

Leave a comment:

• naomiatt
    replied
    Hi - they have a website Untitled Document
    Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery;
    Need information for your family history research? When it comes to the cemetery, our researchers are the most knowledgable people around, and the FOSBC holds the following records and research materials:

- full list of South Brisbane Cemetery interments
    - full list of South Brisbane Cemetery monumental inscriptions
    - extensive collection of local history publications about the local area
    ***** photographs of all South Brisbane Cemetery graves*****

Our records are often more reliable than the Brisbane City Council records.

FOSBC volunteers donate their time for research on behalf of genealogists and historians. Monetary donations to our group are welcome as we are a not-for-profit group, and any donations you make go back into helping us maintain the cemetery and conduct further research.

Send us an email with your name and contact details, and as many details as you can provide about the person you are looking for (name, date of death, etc). We will get back to you ASAP.
    Last edited by naomiatt; 09-11-09, 01:57.

Leave a comment:

• Harrys mum
    replied
    Wonder if Thomas and Bridget are ancestors of the parish priest at my dad's church????

South Brisbane cemetery is easy to find...only about 250kms....lol....but I do go there.

Leave a comment:

• naomiatt
    replied
    Thank you for the links... I am working on it as we speak :smilee:
    Just realised - didn't give the link :smilee:
    NLA Australian Newspapers

Leave a comment:

• John_8251
    replied
    Hi John - There is mention of this family in the Beta Newspaper site e.g
    "Probate has been granted in the matter of Elizabeth Carroll, Stanley Street, South Bris- spinster" from the Brisbane Courier, Dec, 1893. If you do advanced search, exact, but don't worry about selecting the papers and go straight to search at the bottom, info comes up - in this case, I restricted the dates from 1/1/1803-31/12/1893.
    You might be able to build up a Carroll story from the newspapers.
    Might be handy State Library of Queensland - Wills, probate
    Thank you for the links... I am working on it as we speak :smilee:

Leave a comment:

• naomiatt
    replied
    Hi John - There is mention of this family in the Beta Newspaper site e.g
    "Probate has been granted in the matter of Elizabeth Carroll, Stanley Street, South Bris- spinster" from the Brisbane Courier, Dec, 1893. If you do advanced search, exact, but don't worry about selecting the papers and go straight to search at the bottom, info comes up - in this case, I restricted the dates from 1/1/1803-31/12/1893.
    You might be able to build up a Carroll story from the newspapers.
    Might be handy State Library of Queensland - Wills, probate

Leave a comment:

• John_8251
    replied
    Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
    John...........

I'll have a look at the electoral rolls for you. Just let me get my early morning cuppa first...lol

Where were the graves??? I love digging around cemeteries.
    Morning :smilee: Not sure if this link works but this is the grave

Leave a comment:

• jean
    replied
    Cairns is a bit further.....about 2,000kms...lol
    not an early morning jog then:Big Grin::Big Grin:

Leave a comment:

• Harrys mum
    replied
    OK, Jean...........missed that. Cairns is a bit further.....about 2,000kms...lol

The fellow in Clifton in 1903 was a railway worker.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X