Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Grandad's WW2 service number

Hi,

I'm about to send off for my late Grandad's WW2 service record before my Gran leaves this mortal coil so I don't have to pay £30 in the future (sorry, did that sound a bit nasty?).

Does anyone know how I can find my Grandad's service number? I have his medals but there's nothing etched onto them. I have found an old photo he took during the war which says about 215 squadron and the squadron details on raf.mod.uk seem to fit.

Cheers

Guybrush
    Hail Spode!

I don't think you need it.

As long as you have his name and date of birth you should be able to get them.

Comment

Really? Oh that's good. It doesn't specify on the form that the info is optional. It also asks for his National Insurance Number. Is that optional too?
      Hail Spode!

Comment

It says on the kinship form:

Service Number and/or date of birth must be included.

I take that to be one or the other must be included.

The one I used doesn't ask for an NI number I'm not sure they were used before WWII anyway.

I assume you've downloaded the kinship document from here:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 28-10-09, 21:04.

Comment

Having his service number would speed up the process but as long you have his name, DOB & Regiment they will be able to find his record.
          Jay

Comment

The form I have is the RAF one.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AA8A9...lsRAFpart3.doc

It's asking for enrollment dates and all sorts of things. The reason I'm getting the service record is to find out details like that. I really dont know how they expect my Gran to do this on her own.
            Hail Spode!

Comment

Okay I've just looked at that kinship form for the RAF.

I suggest you fill in everything you know to be true I don't think it requires everything it asks from what I read,

Fill it in with what you know and send it off.

As long as you have his name and date of birth.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 28-10-09, 23:34.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I'll try. Might be worth my gran signing a couple more kinship forms just in case the info I have is not enough for them.

I'll keep you posted.
                Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                  Ok, thanks. I'll try. Might be worth my gran signing a couple more kinship forms just in case the info I have is not enough for them.

I'll keep you posted.
                  Seriously I think the information you have is enough. As long as you have name and date of birth that should be okay.

Honestly they don't require much more.

Comment

Working...
                  X