Intro and an ongoing mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
    Is that really so? I'm so tempted, but I thought that it was exactly that kind of thing that got Bedfordshire(?) stamped on, before (over the TDA).

Christine
    Yes it is Christine - I can't believe myself but I joined and I don't live in Lancs, although I can claim having been born there if there is ever an enquiry;)
    Margaret

Comment

As he appears to have been ‘in’ with his local society in the 1910’s and 1920’s I’m hoping there will be some mention of him in a local paper, even if he didn’t die in that area.

Hi James
      Have you considered that he might have been a freemason? Records about freemasons are not as secret as you might think.
      Moggie

Comment

Moggie

that's an exceedingly good thought!

OC

Comment

That’s an interesting idea; but how can I find out? I've not looked into the Masons before, though I think my brother is one (shh!) so I could try and ask him. I do have a photograph of AH Scott in dinner dress, with a few other men in the same attire, some ladies sitting down in front of them (but not his wife) and I reckon it was taken around 1914 (at a guess). But he is not showing any medals as you might expect from a retired Captain, and I can’t make out what the occasion was, or where it was taken either.

Incidentally, you may have thoughts on this. I contacted the Exeter courts to see if they could bend the 100 year rule for me and let me see any records they had of the bankruptcy hearing from August 1910 (as I will be there in October 2009). I sent an email to the general enquiries address last week and haven’t heard anything yet. Does anyone happen to know if there is a better way to try and get this information, or is it a lost cause until after August 2010?

I didn’t have any luck with the Lancashire Libraries, I couldn't work out how to see what they had! I must be having a very ‘dim’ day, I am sure it’s quite simple really.

The new RF Scott books sounds interesting, it’s his 100th anniversary in two years so I expect there will be more coming out soon.
          J
          Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
          http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
          My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

James,
            On the home page you click on the left links buttons for 'online reference library' and then for news and current affairs. You can then see the newspaper collections and when you click on one of the collections you are asked to put in your membership details.
            Margaret

Comment

Thanks for that. I registered but am asked for a library barcode...? Will take another look tomorrow when head is clearer
              My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Originally posted by james collins View Post
                Thanks for that. I registered but am asked for a library barcode...? Will take another look tomorrow when head is clearer
                From memory I think they give you temporary access until your card comes through which has the barcode on it.
                Margaret

Comment

I certainly had no problems getting some information about my GGfather, who was a Freemason, but I already knew he was a Grand Master and his Lodge number.

From memory it cost me £10. There wasn't really any personal information on it, it was all to do with the doings of the society, but it was a nice little time line to add to his life.

OC

Comment

James - have you looked in the London Gazette for details of the bankruptcy? There is usually an entry for each stage of the process.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Uncle John
                      Yes, we found a mention of a bankruptcy case in August 1909. I am going to Exeter in a couple of weeks and emailed the courts to see if they could bend the 100 year rule and let me see any documents. I’ve not heard back.

J

Comment

Working...
                      X