Name that church?.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name that church?.....

From what I can see it says.....The Cath & Parish Church in the Parish of Manchester???

It beats me....never heard of it.....anyone know what/where it is? Does/should it have another name?:conf:

Oh hang on.....should that be Cathedral doh! still need confirmation though.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Hi Jen..

I'm pretty sure it says....

'The cath'l parish church' in the parish of manchester
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Comment

Thankyou Julie.....had me stumped there for a mo' first time I've ever seen it written like that.
      Jen

Comment

There seem to be references on other message boards that it refers to Manchester Cathedral.
        Elaine

Comment

well *scratches head*

I would also say that it is Manchester Cathedral.. but I too think it is worded oddly.. lol but that might have been how they did it back then.
          Julie

Comment

sorry just seen Elaines post..

*feels sheepish*
            Julie

Comment

Some Cathedrals are also parish churches - especially the newer ones.

That would be true, I believe, of Birmingham, St Alban's, Blackburn... (If it's needed, I could probably look it up in my Crockford's.)

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you looked to see if the marriage is on LancsBMD - a lot of their transcriptions have the name of the chuch listed.
                Elaine

Comment

No I haven't Elaine, but I will check that out. Thankyou all.
                  Jen

Comment

Working...
                  X