Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please can someone help me sort out this problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can someone help me sort out this problem.

The problem is I have just found a newspaper article that states John William Gray and his wife had a son Stanley Gray who died aged 16 in 1933. From this I have worked out his birth year was 1917. FreeBMD has a birth for him which states his mothers maiden name was Carratt. When John married Mary she was a widow and her name was proctor. So where does the Carratt come from?

John married Mary Proctor/procter in Sept quarter 1916 and she died in 1921. From her previous marriage she had a daughter Rose and Elsie. She also had a son called Denis. I do not know who her husband was. Please can someone help me get to the bottom of this. I will send for Stanley's death cert and see what that says.

Thanks for your help

Jane

Mary Elizabeth Carrott married William Proctor 1904, Lincoln. (1904/Q2;Lincoln/Lincs;vol:7a;page:1225)

I guess she used her former married name when she married John William Gray...and yes, her maiden name was Carratt/Carrott

Beverley

Comment

Mary was first married to Mr CARRATT.
      Marriages are usually indexed under the woman's name at the time of marriage but birth indexs show her maiden name.
      Glen

Comment

There are several William Proctors listed on Free BMD - if you know the dates/locations of the births of the children you may be able to work out which one was your man.

Beverley

Comment

Thank you very much for that information. Beverly and Glen. That has solved that problem for me. This is a very complicated family. John married three times. His second wife and third wife were both married before and had children from their first marriage. Sometimes these children use the name gray and sometimes they use their birth name. Oh well I will get to the bottom of it gradually.

Thanks again for your help

Jane

Comment

Thanks Beverly

I will give it a go. I will see if I can find them on the census first which should help me.

All the best

Jane

Comment

It seems that William was born about 1882 and Mary elizabeth Carrott was born abot 1886. I will have a look for them on FreeBMD.

Jane

Comment

I can't find a birth for a Mary Elizabeth Carratt anywhere. Does this mean that she was married before? Like you mentioned Glen. The only marriage I can find is a Mary Elizabeth Atkin and Joseph Richardson Carrott. June 1891 in Boston, Lincs

Thanks

ane

Comment

Working...
                X