Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are 24th September is ....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are 24th September is ....................

Dicole

Good luck Di, hope you manage to get a few bits and pieces sorted out:smilee:

*goes out to hire a JCB*
    Barbara

Thats Barbara, I will go and look out some mysteries.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I may have asked this one before, but its one of my few remaining problems (and I am not going to ask about Emma Lewis Leake again).

John Sanderson was born about 1834 to Henry Sanderson and his second wife Elizabeth Hibberd/Hibbard. I would like to find some definite information on Johns birth/baptism, supposed to be in Sheffield. Also his siblings - Elizabeth (abt 1832), Charlotte (1833), Fanny (who died aged 8 months of smallpox, no year known) and James (about 1837). The only child I have a baptism for is Albert who was baptised and then buried in 1843 in Stamford Lincolnshire. Also anything on ELizabeth Hibbard who, from the census, was born about 1804 in Sheffield.

Also, if anyone can confirm the census entries, I would be grateful

I will go and look for some more bricks to have a go at.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 25-09-09, 13:16.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia

Comment

Another problem. I am looking for George Moorley born about 1820 in Derbyshire. George came to Australia crew member on a ship and stayed. His death certificate says father Joseph mother Ellen. Can anyone find him in 1841 or 1851 census ?

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

I can't find anything on your Sandersons but thereis this in 1851

- Ancestry.co.uk

Perhaps George's dob is out and Ellen is Mum and not wife?
          Sue

Comment

Not sure about above now - found them in 1841 and there's still only a 10 year age gap

- Ancestry.co.uk
            Sue

Comment

Hi

Sue I am not too sure about those entries especially the 1851 one, as George came to NSW and married, so it would have been odd to leave a wife and so many children behind.

They were also pretty good at making sure there were two OOs in their MOORELY, I don't know whether they could read and write, or the way it was pronounced - any Derbyshire locals who know the local pronounciation ??

(we say More-lee, but then we say HOR-TON for Houghton, whereas I am told locally it was HOO-TON, Bedfordshire/Northants)

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Here's another little mystery, which is not birth/death/marriage/census, but I would like to gather any information on this. In 1858 Edward Capps wrote to the NSW Governor-

"my experience....was gained on former arduous service, associated with the noble and talented, many of whom I left slumbering on the banks of the Niger, in the wilds of Central Africa. I have also visited the W. Indies, nearly all of the islands of the Atlantic, Brazil, Patagonia, Chile, Peru, Central America and S Sea Islands. I should have accompanied Richardson from Tripoli across the Sahara to Besnan, but from want of sufficient means to purchase camels ..... so much delay was occaisioned that I undertook the charge of the children forwarded by H.M. Emigration Commissioners......."

So how much of this is true, how could he have done all this from about 1840 (when he was 20, or did he start earlier ?) and before 1848 when the took charge of the children and came to NSW ?

So far, I have found that James Richardson went from Tripoli to the middle of the Sahara in 1845 and returned to Tripoli after 9 months. He convinced the British Govt to let him explore further and in 1850 set off from Tripoli again - he died on this journey (lucky Edward, I guess that he could not go).

So who would Edward Capps have had to have known, or had connections with, to get invited on these sorts of expeditions ?

There may be no answer to these questions, but any information on 19th century exploration of South America would be of interest.

Thanks

Di
                Diane
                Sydney Australia

Comment

Have you seen the biography of James Richardson in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography? It gives details of his trips and who he had to deal with to gain support for them. It also talks about the British and Foreign Anti Slavery Society.

There is no mention of Edward Capps but it might help with further background info.

If you would like a copy, PM me your email address and I'll forward it on
                  Jackie

Comment

A reference directly to Edward Capps would be too much to hope for. He might rate a mention in someone's diary perhaps. I am sure our local library will have the Oxford DNB, I will check their catalogue, otherwise I will let you know, Jackie.Thanks for the reference.

There seems to be plenty on the net about the Anti-slavery Society too.

Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                      Hi

Sue I am not too sure about those entries especially the 1851 one, as George came to NSW and married, so it would have been odd to leave a wife and so many children behind.

They were also pretty good at making sure there were two OOs in their MOORELY, I don't know whether they could read and write, or the way it was pronounced - any Derbyshire locals who know the local pronounciation ??

(we say More-lee, but then we say HOR-TON for Houghton, whereas I am told locally it was HOO-TON, Bedfordshire/Northants)

Di

Althought I'm not a Derbyshire native I've been trying to think how my FIL would pronounce this

Houghton = huffton, although I want to say hoo-ton, war = wu-wa, pleasley = plesley

Mooreley may have been Murley, morley, or moo-er-lee or even at a stretch marley
                      Barbara

Comment

good luck to the next winner, I hope you knock over some brickwalls

Di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                        X