Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Baptisms

Just browsing through the baptisms for Lewisham -

29 Jan 1801 - Thomas, base son of Priscilla Wilson and Robert Goodear, born 5 Jan, workhouse.
    1 Nov 1801 - James son of Sarah Smith (supposed father John Hall) born 10 Oct, workhouse

3 Apr 1803, Guy, John son of..................Loam Pit Hill

15 May 1803, George, son of Mary Rowans by Richard Onion (both married) ( presumably NOT to each other)

11 Mar 1804 James Walker base son of Sukey Jackson, born 7 Mar, workhouse

"Adaminta"
    "Pryer Phypers"
    "Apolina"
    "Mackarinah Pigden"

17 Jan 1808
    Reader Ann, daughter of James, and Frances his wife, at his funeral
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Oooh, I have a child in my tree who was baptised at his mother's funeral!

And very glad of it too, was I, because his father remarried a woman with the same first name, and until I saw that baptismal note, I had no idea the first wife had died.

OC

Comment

I have noticed a number with the comment "patre defuncto" (I think that that grammar's correct - it's from memory). I understand that to mean "by a deceased father" - I had thought that "posthumus/a" would have been a more likely description.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

and yesterday I found a baptism when the father had died a year earlier, but no mention in the register.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I found the burial of George Dawson in 1849, which gives his age as 49 years - stilling looking for his baptism around 1800. No idea which parish, but 1841 census indicates somewhere in Surrey - and I hope around Lee, Deptford, Rotherhithe !

Quite a lot of twins, I noticed in the Lee Registers.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

One from St James Ratcliffe: Mary Wheeler Gillett's father rejoiced in the name of Alfred the Great Wheeler.

Comment

How about this transcription
              Baptism of Annie Esther Inskip on 11 Jun 1882 at St Michael Cornhill, City of London.
              Father's Name Natural Laughter Inskip
              Mother's Name Eliza Inskip

She was actually the natural daughter of Eliza Inskip.
              Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                and yesterday I found a baptism when the father had died a year earlier, but no mention in the register.
                Presumably an unusually fertile man! ;)

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think I found him in the LMA records on ancestry - my George Dawson !!! yippee, now to track him and down and try and prove it.

Baptism - 31 Dec 1800 to Joseph and Mary Dawson, at St Mary Rotherhithe, right where he should have been !!.

Clues - Joseph and Mary had a daughter Diana Elizabeth, and one called Harriet who died at 3 years. George called his daughters Mary Ann and Sophia (wife) Diana/Dinah and Elizabeth.

Joseph, on Harriets burial was called a Blockmaker, but may appear in the directories as Joseph Dawson, Ship Chandler, which was also George's occupation(as well as Sail maker).

The "abodes" named in some of the baptisms and burials are all local to each other, Paradise st, West Lane, Cherry Garden St.

I am hopeful, I may have found George and his family

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                  X