A question of height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of height

Another of my impossible questions, I think! But I am trying to identify someone in a 1948 photo - she is exceptionally short.

I presume that any medical records which might record her height would not be "open" (?)
    Joan died in July 2020.

I'd have thought you'd be lucky to find medical records open that soon. Or even school records?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No, her records won't be open, but depending on how long ago she died, you might be able to wheedle the information about her height from them. If her height was ever recorded, that is.

OC

Comment

Is OC implies, it's less likely that height would be regarded as enormously sensitive in that context.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have recollections of being measured at school - but rather less after adulthood.

BMI is a rather more recent concept!

Christine

Comment

Prior to the start of the National Health Service, the only time height was routinely recorded was for military service, or for police records.

I cannot imagine a scenario pre 1948 where a woman's height would be recorded? After that it would only be of interest if she was of child bearing age.

OC

Comment

Is she exceptionally short or is everyone else around her exceptionally tall?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Passport?

anyone know when they started putting height on that?

(Tho I suppose not many people of her generation actually had a passport)
                Vicky

Comment

Working...
                X