X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durham/Northumberland/Cheshire parish images on Family Search

There was a link on GR to

FamilySearch Record Search

has mostly US records but has some parish record images for Durham/Northumberland and Cheshire plus some Cheshire Register of Electors.

You have to register first - worth taking a look if you as you can actually view the images.

From it I've finally managed to find out why my G GFather wasn't on 1891 census - he must have been at sea . I found this out from the baptisms of 2 of his sons.
    Last edited by ElaineM; 13-02-08, 14:08.
    Elaine

Researching - Weatherall, Spenceley, Readman, Conquer

Ooh, that sounds good!

What's betting none of my lot are on there though lol

That link doesn't seem to work Ahh - too many dots! There isn't one in familysearch.
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 13-02-08, 14:03.
    Tracy

Comment

Thanks Tracey

I've took the dot out :o

Hope you find something there!
      Elaine

Comment

Nothing there for my Durham/Northumberland brick wall. Something will turn up one day.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John did you use the 'search facility' option or 'browse the images' option?

I found my South Shields lot by browsing the images in the Vital Records - Bishops Transcripts. They didn't show up by using the search facility.
          Elaine

Comment

I have found some people!!! :D
            Tracy

Comment

Oh gosh, I feel dreadful, thought everyone knew about this. :o I've been using it for a while now. It's also got some Cumberland Parish records too.
              If you trawl down the Durham records, use the arrow at the bottom of the page, there's lots of the parishes there, some have more than others but the images are really clear in most cases.
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I discovered this last week, and I'm busy trawling, as most of these seem to relate to entries that haven't been indexed on the "main" LDS site. Wish I knew which parishes they were in though. Looking for a John Watson, a coal miner, married to a Jane somewhere around North Shields/Newcastle/Tynemouth, or possibly a bit further north, is a bit like looking for a John Smith in a large city :D

A question, if I may - has anyone tried saving an image & if so, what format is it in? (mine just say "all file types" it has no extension, and so far I've not found an application that will allow me to view)
                Vicky

Comment

They seem to be changing this daily which is understandable because its only a beta version at this stage.

Last week the files were being saved as bitmap (.bmp) files which were quite big. I managed to open it but I can't remember what in and then saved it as a jpeg.

The same day the next time I tried to save a file it was a jpeg and was much smaller.

I've just tried saving another one and I think its a .bmp again. I can open it in Windows picture and fax viewer and in Arcsoft Photostudio. I then saved it as jpeg again because that's easier for me.

Jackie
                  Jackie

Comment

:( I've just tried to open what I've saved and can't open them either!! I don't get an option of what type of file to save them as. Still really pleased about what I've found though.
                    Elaine

Comment

I had to open the file first and then save as...

Jackie
                      Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie

I've managed to open them in Windows Photo Gallery (and internet explorer).
                        Elaine

Comment

ive just been on the site above, put in a name and can see a image for register of electors, next to the name it say under colomn offences of which reported to have been guilty, BRIBERY. does this mean my ancestor has beening bribing some one every one this list is either bribery or treating.

Comment

There is a free programme called irfanview that you can download
                            IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide
                            I have not had an image that it has not opened for me yet

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
                            Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Comment

It's telling me I've got to load flash player, but when I say OK to load it nothing happens. ?!?!?!
                              Mavis
                              Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineM View Post
                                Uncle John did you use the 'search facility' option or 'browse the images' option?

I found my South Shields lot by browsing the images in the Vital Records - Bishops Transcripts. They didn't show up by using the search facility.
                                I searched what I thought were the most likely sources. Browsing the images requires more stamina than I can muster.:D
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Elaine. By the way, I just saved some images which said "All Files" but yet on my computer it has saved as a jpeg and opened perfect.
                                  Dawn

Comment

is anyone else having trouble accessing this?
                                    I tried last night & this morning, but its either very slow, or my computer doesn't like it.
                                    Can you get to it from the LDS site?
                                    thanks,
                                    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Louise I have no trouble getting in but it is a bit slow today..dont know if you can access it from the LDS site I cant get in there lol..but I could earlier?

]

Comment

Just to say a big Thank You to tasdev for the Irfanview link.

(I have been missing an all-purpose picture viewer since I got this PC)

Irfanview is telling me the images I'd saved were JPGs but with an incorrect file extension, which is why none of my other graphics applications recognised them.

(They did open with the Windows Picture & Fax viewer as well)

I've been using the link Elaine posted, I've not found a link from the ordinary LDS site, but then I never seem to get further than the "search" page :D
                                        Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 14-02-08, 13:00.
                                        Vicky

Comment

Working...
                                        X