Original 1947 Death Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original 1947 Death Certificate

Going through my OH's Grandmothers papers I found she had the original death certificate for her husband. However, what threw me is that she has it in duplicate - They are obviously done by the same person and the numbers are consecutive. Was it common for the registrar to give out 2 copies?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Is there any difference, no matter how small, between the 2 copies?
    Kit

Comment

No. they are identical
      Linda

Comment

Hi
        I have several copies of my father's death cert. We needed them to send to his bank & insurance companies.
        Moggie

Comment

I just wasn't sure if they gave out copies like that in 1947 - would you have needed them as much then?
          Linda

Comment

We had five copies of my father's death certificate for various purposes like bank, investments etc etc.

I think we had to pay for them (??) but they were cheaper if they were 'current' £3 I seem to remember. And they said they would stay that way while that registration book was the current one.

Anne

Comment

Okay, thanks for your help.
              Linda

Comment

We too had several copies of my mother's death certificates. This was because it speeded up the Probate process. You have to send off a copy to each financial institution, and if we had only one and waited for it to be returned it would have taken a long time to sort out the finances.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Ditto - I had ten copies for my late father as his financial affairs were very widespread.

Some were returned, most weren't and I finished up with three in the end.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X