Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good morning ..can someone confirm my findings please !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rachel, I think it is classed as Cheshire on census and civil registration.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine ~ giving up :( ~ can't find anything useful
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I'm struggling to find anything either. I have tried to do an address search on the info you have given Allan, but nothing showing relating to a William Stillitoe.

Libby - can you fill us in with what you have got about the family.
        Why do you think Mary was born in Neston?
        Do you have the 1891 and 1901 census?
        Did Mary and William Hayes have any children?
        Where was Mary living when she married?
        Who were the witnesses?
        Elaine

Comment

sorry girls ...spent the day at the caravan getting her ready for the weekend....we need Libby to put us wise with where she got her info ,apart from Marys Marriage Cert...........allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi Allan,

Mary Sillitoe is my Great Grandmother, I have her photograph taken just before she died in 1942.

Nige
            Kind Regards
            Nige

Priestley (Halifax), Bolton (Halifax), Bancroft (Bradford/Halifax), Lucksmith (Halifax), Barlow (Neston), Williams (Conway), Sillitoe (Cheshire), Hall (Northants), Bromley (Bucks/Northants/Leics?), Gillam (Huyton)

Comment

Thats great news Nige,,,,as you can see I was helping OZLIBBY because my family were from Neston and I had a few pointers for her....I have PM`d Libby with the good news....when she gets in touch I`ll let you know....allan.....and thank you all for your help......FTF has another contact success.....:D
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Neston was classed as Cheshire whilst Liverpool was Lancashire. I remember reading a thread recently on another site about people from the Wirral marrying in Liverpool & apparently it was quite common.

Comment

Yes Lesley...some of mine did....St Nicholas was a bit like Gretna Green...as they just put up the bans and didn`t ask questions....allan;)

Comment

Mary Sillitoe

Hiya, just got in from work.
                    Mary Sillitoe 1859-1942 born in Gayton, F. Daniel, M. Mary Barlow. She married only once to John Edwin Hall b.1852, a train driver from Wappenham, Northants who died in 1906. He was previously married to Eliza Bennett from Crick and had three girls, one or two emigrated to Oz (my Nan always said that she had half sisters).
                    John and Mary had May, Emma (known as Elsie), William and Jessie (my Nan), Sadly, May died in 1939 - probably doped with morphine in Clatterbridge hospital. I have a photo taken by William Hall in Heswall of Mary, May and William's lady, Sarah Olive Randles who may have been married to him at that time or not as yet. I guess that the photo was snapped around 1939.
                    I have researched the Sillitoes back to Audlem in Cheshire (maybe even Wybunbury). One branch might be in West Kirby these days and I have been told that a Percy Sillitoe was very, very high up in the Police Force.
                    Nige
                    Kind Regards
                    Nige

Priestley (Halifax), Bolton (Halifax), Bancroft (Bradford/Halifax), Lucksmith (Halifax), Barlow (Neston), Williams (Conway), Sillitoe (Cheshire), Hall (Northants), Bromley (Bucks/Northants/Leics?), Gillam (Huyton)

Comment

If it's this one, he was Director-General of MI5...

Percy Sillitoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Dear FTF friends,

I am so sorry I haven't been part of this discussion. I have only just found you thanks to Garsonite! I found it difficult to navigate my way to you. Now I am here!! I know from Marriage Cert that Mary was married in Liverpool to William Hayes, her father was William Sillitoe, labourer. William and Mary had a daughter Elizabeth who is my gg grandmother. Alas, the Mary that Nige has is another Mary, it is possible she was recorded as Agnes Mary or Mary Agnes, I will dig up what I have here but I am away now till Sunday out in the Australian bush - so offline till next week. Thank you all again for your valiant efforts to help. I really appreciate it.

Libby

Comment

Mary Sillitoe

Actually MI5 sounds about right, Mary, thanks for confirming this.

Sorry about misleading you, Libby, my Mary Sillitoe married in 1895 in Liverpool.

Nige
                          Kind Regards
                          Nige

Comment

Hi

Marriage Cert has Albert Loder and Louise Sweet as witnesses. I have 1891 Census living in Wallasey William 27, Agnes (Mary) 27, and children Agnes 3, Anne 4, Edith 1, Elizabeth 6.

Perhaps the Neston birth is a red herring?

I think the promising one is the Christening in 1860 although the dates aren't quite right I guess ages were not always accurate?

Any suggestions on finding the birth?

Libby

Comment

William Sillitoehttp://www.familytreeforum.com/images/smilies/pidgin/default/question

Hi

Just following my nose here on LDS and found William C Silitoe on the 1881 Census living in Cheshire with wife Mary and presume kids had grown and left home. This is possibly the parents of my Mary Agnes Sillitoe but I need help with previous census data. I can't find the marriage of these two either.

So...can someone help with earlier census for William and Mary Silitoe and possibly with a marriage? She was born in Sussex in 1831 so maybe the marriage is over that way? I have been looking in Lanc and Chesh. - I don't know if this is them but perhaps a census with daughter mary agnes will help to confirm? William says born in Liverpool which is encouraging. Although he was listed as labourer on his daughter's wedding cert on the 1881 C it says commercial clerk, cotton broker - is that a likely career change?

thanks for any help you can give.

Libby

Comment

Mary Sillitoe

Hi Nige,

Not giving up on you yet, do you have names of grandparents? they might be cousins?

Lib:D

Comment

1861 census
                                  RG9; Piece: 2637; Folio: 48; Page: 19
                                  - Ancestry.co.uk

Household
                                  William C Sillitoe 31
                                  Mary S E Sillitoe 35
                                  Alice M Sillitoe 6
                                  Adeline Sillitoe 4
                                  Charles E Sillitoe 2
                                  Alfred E Sillitoe 2 Mo
                                  Isabella Caveen 18 - servant
                                  Christina E C Broadbent 3

1871 census - mistranscribed on Ancestry as Lillitoe
                                  RG10; Piece: 3795; Folio: 20; Page: 33
                                  - Ancestry.co.uk

Household
                                  William C Lillitoe 41
                                  Mary S E Lillitoe 40
                                  Adeline Lillitoe 14
                                  Charles E Lillitoe 12
                                  Henry E Lillitoe 5
                                  Edith M Lillitoe 1
                                  Jessie Christie 23 - servant
                                  Elaine

Comment

This looks like their marriage:

Marriages Jun 1851
                                    Mary Stening Edgecombe Davey / William Charles Sillital
                                    W. Derby 20 930

Mary was recorded as Mary S E Sillitoe in the 1861/1871 census so the initials fit nicely! (details above),

In 1851 she is living with her family in Toxteth Park:
                                    HO107; Piece: 2186; Folio: 448; Page: 10
                                    Household
                                    Henry Edger Davey 52 - head - born Cornwall (occ. leather dealer)
                                    Garce Edg Davey 62 - wife - born Midhurst
                                    Eliz Jane Eng Daney 28 - daughter, born Midhurst
                                    Mary S Cage Daney 26 - daughter, born Midhurst
                                    Elaine

Comment

i saw the same marriage. :o

Comment

Big family of Davey here in Garston....the Tannery here only closed recently...I am friends with the Davey family....I just wonder if these are descendants of Henry Davey....allan

Comment

this is really great and super speedy help!
                                          I wonder where daughter Mary is though?

Comment

Working...
                                          X