Scottish census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish census

I have just tried on Ancestry to find out where Frances Esplin b. 1855 was born. It just says "England" & I wondered whether there is more info than that as it won't let me see the image.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Joanie

There's unlikely to be any more if you look at the image on ScotlandsPeople. Think of all the English census entries that just say "Scotland or "Ireland" or "Foreign parts".
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Which census did you look at Joan?

Their probably won't be anymore info is you viewed that one but you never know about another one?

Is Esplin her maiden name??
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        There's unlikely to be any more if you look at the image on ScotlandsPeople. Think of all the English census entries that just say "Scotland or "Ireland" or "Foreign parts".
        I have seen slightly more info being given Unc J.
        I have one on 1851 census birthplace Ireland and it says more but its been scored through :(

Also have one on a census that actually states Ireland, Co. Down.

Comment

Sorry it's the 1891 census on Ancestry.

I think I have found her birth now, but the ref is : Parish: Forfar; ED: 21; Line: 17; Year: 1891.

Joanie

Comment

Sorry Joan I don't have Ancestry so bit lost there.

I did check SP though and found her on 1881 census although again it just says England for birthplace.

I assume you know her maiden name if you have found her birth??

I could tell you about the 1881 census but I bet you've already checked it on ancestry :D

Comment

Thanks Shaz, it lets me see the names but I can't access the image :(

Apparently the images are still under negotiation !!

No worries, just wondered why someone born in Kent, lived in Suffolk, married in Luton then went to live in Scotland?!

Arghh!!!!!! Lol !

:D

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                Thanks Shaz, it lets me see the names but I can't access the image :(

Apparently the images are still under negotiation !!

No worries, just wondered why someone born in Kent, lived in Suffolk, married in Luton then went to live in Scotland?!

Arghh!!!!!! Lol !

:D I'm wondering why David born in Forfar went down to Luton got married and then went back to Forfar.... lol

Comment

She must have liked Scotland because she stayed there until her death.

Comment

Thanks Shaz!!

I shouldn't be such a nosey mare, lol!

Just trying to "eliminate" her as one of mine & went off on a wild goose chase

Joanie

Comment

Thanks Shaz!!

I shouldn't be such a nosey mare, lol!

Just trying to "eliminate" her as one of mine & went off on a wild goose chase

Have you managed to eliminate?? I can look at the death registration if it helps

Comment

Hiya Shaz !

No I haven't managed to eliminate her. Trouble is it got more confusing & mysterious as I went along, lol! I don't think she is one of mine, but what would her death reg tell me? Would it cost you to look it up? If so don't worry as it is not worth it just to satisfy my curiosity, lol!!

Joanie

Comment

Hiya Shaz !

No I haven't managed to eliminate her. Trouble is it got more confusing & mysterious as I went along, lol! I don't think she is one of mine, but what would her death reg tell me? Would it cost you to look it up? If so don't worry as it is not worth it just to satisfy my curiosity, lol!!

:D Well you know what curiosity did..... not that I am likening you to a cat you understand :D

Ok it just happens to be one of the worst registrations I have seen for s long time. Boy did they want to save ink on this page there must have been a shortage so they've watered it down.

She was the widow of David Booth Esplin (Gas works manager) and she died on 5th May 1931 and her age is listed as 78yrs (lol... in 1881 census she is 26 so not too far out.)

Her son in law was the informant ? ? Williamson

Ok Her dad was Joseph .... looks like ills?? Funnell, a flour miller who was deceased at this time.

Her Mother was Charlotte Funnell (afterwards Newman) Maidne name is too difficult to read but looks like a short name, poss 4 letters... poss beginning with F. She too was deceased at this time.

The address of the place where she died is difficult to read and so is her usual address and also the cause of death.... although one part does say Valvular disease of heart.

Does any of this help to eliminate??

Comment

Oooo Shaz that's brilliant!

I found Frances in 1861 census, living with Charlotte who was a housekeeper to a man called Newman She was obviously doing a bit more than his washing, lol!!

It says Charlotte Funnell, married, but Mr Newman unmarried, so I assumed they were living over the sticks together. The Frances on that census it says she was born in Boston, Kent, but by looking in the BMDs I found her birth reg as Faversham.

What Mr Esplin & her were doing in Luton I've no idea :D

Could it be Joseph Mills as her father?

Thanks for satisfying this nosey mare's curiosity, lol!

Joanie

Comment

On Closer examination...... :D

He isn't Joseph at all..... but.... you are right with the Mills!!

He was John Mills Funnell.

Oooh imagine that a bit living in sin back then.... of course I've never found such a thing in my family :D

Comment

Found them !!

John Mills Funnell, married Charlotte Fiske 1852 Wangford Suffolk ;)

Oooo no my rellies never did that either, lol!!

4 x great granddad kept another woman with about 5 kids in the next village to him though He was only a carpenter so he must have made a lot of doors

Joanie

Comment

So are they your's??

OH's 2xGreat Grandfather did the same :D only it was woman in the next county..... kept her and her 4 kids although it seems that youngest 3 were his anyway.
                                  Then he had a daughter to a woman in his own county,,, then picked her up and took her to live with his 'other' woman before finally marrying her just weeks before she gave birth to her 5th child who was OH's Great Grandfather

All of this happened about 30 years before my own Great Grandfather was born.... OH's lot are soooo old. :D

Comment

Now my curiosity is aroused. How did you find all that info. re death without buying a death cert??

Comment

Hi holcan.

I am not sure whether Shaz used Scotlandspeople or something similar. The Scots are way ahead of us Sassenachs when it comes to keeping records on people, they have a lot more information!

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by holcan View Post
                                        Now my curiosity is aroused. How did you find all that info. re death without buying a death cert??

Hi Holcan,

Scottish registrations are a bit more informative than English and Welsh.

On top of that they can be viewed online on Scotlands People..... at a price of course :D

Comment

Working...
                                        X