Leicester Jails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leicester Jails

Does anyone know of a Jail in Leicester that one of my ancestors may have been an inmate in 1861----I Can't find him on the 1861 census but on the new Criminal records on Ancestory I have found a man of the same name appearing at the assizes for maliciously shooting. And if he was in Jail wouldn't it come up on the census for that jail???
    His name is William Atkins C1832 B Ibstock---his wife is on 1861 census Eliza Atkins c 1837 B Ibstock with dau Betsey---she is lodging in Ibstock ---he is on 1871 Census
    Thank you for any help
    Last edited by Ann L from Darlo; 06-08-09, 11:24.

If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

by googling I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_(HM_Prison)

though the Leics archives 'might' have some records on this, I don't think that the actual prison site allows FH research, (from reading it)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think he might be here in the District County Gaol, Leicester St Mary as W A married aged 28, collier. The place of birth is transcribed as Holock which doesn't seem to exist but if you look at it, it could be Ibstock

- Ancestry.co.uk
      Jackie

Comment

Yes, it's your man.

You'll find him on the 1861 census under his initials, WA. His place of birth's been mistranscribed as Holock.

Comment

Snap

Comment

Wow ---thanks all of you that's him!!!!!

If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Comment

Do you have any more information on William Atkins? Think I may have the newspaper article relating to his conviction. He was a poacher in Market Bosworth.

Comment

Ann has not visited the forum sine 2011, so unlikely to see your reply, you could try messaging her directly and if she still has the same email it will go to her.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you. Yeah I’m a little late. I just started researching my Atkins family. I will send her a message.

Comment

I have various CDs from the Leicester & Rutland Family History Society, and there is a prison admission 23 Dec 1868 of William Atkins aged 39 born & living at Ibstock, wife Eliza & 1 child - sentenced to 7 days for drunk & disorderly. 9 previous convictions. Discharged 29 Dec 1868

Also on 9 Jan 1869, same details as to PoB, family etc, sentenced to 3 months for Want of sureties (threatening), discharged 20 Jan 1869 on payment of a fine.

I'll have a check through my other CDs for anything else.

Comment

Thank you for that.
                      I have found Williams brother, my ggg grandfather John Atkins. He was sentenced to 7 years transporting to Australia for assault. Also his brother Ezekiel Atkins was sentenced but remained in Ibstock. Their fathers name was also William Atkins.

Comment

Working...
                      X